Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
They Are ST tires. I know lots of folks praise the LT tires & for all I know they may be right - I don't know!

A lot of motorcycle riders claim that an auto tire on the back wheel performs very well, but I stick with tires designed for motorcycles, assuming that the designers know what they are doing! Certainly more than I do!

Of course the other consideration is that Id have to buy 5 new wheels too I guess because the folks switching to LT go to a 16" rim I believe.

Brian
Yes, I agree if you can get an ST in LRE for 15" rims that is the ideal combination
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #22
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
After a recent failure of one of my D rated ST Marathons I switched to Michelin E rated LT's.

I first switched to E rated Carlisle tires requiring 80 psig, but returned them after being told by Jackson Center that my rims were only good for tires carrying 65 psig.

Also, Jackson Center now offers LT's as an option and Michelin now says that their RIB LT's are okay for Airstreams.

Since the Marathons were 15" and the LTs 16" I had to also get new rims. Not cheap, but very cool.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
After a recent failure of one of my D rated ST Marathons I switched to Michelin E rated LT's.

I first switched to E rated Carlisle tires requiring 80 psig, but returned them after being told by Jackson Center that my rims were only good for tires carrying 65 psig.

Also, Jackson Center now offers LT's as an option and Michelin now says that their RIB LT's are okay for Airstreams.

Since the Marathons were 15" and the LTs 16" I had to also get new rims. Not cheap, but very cool.

I've pretty much decided that I will wait until we get to Tucson this winter and try to get me some Maxxis E's there - we should be there for a few weeks if they need to be ordered, hopefully they can get them for me.

If not, I will go with the Carlisle E rated tires if they are available.

Hopefully our Marathons will get us to Tucson ok. I just had to get an inside patch put in one of them to fix a nail hole.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 09:26 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:

When I talked to the transport division of Michelin USA they indicated that they would not recommend any tire they manufactured for use in replacement for travel trailer tires. Where did you get your information?
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 AM   #25
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001excella View Post
When I talked to the transport division of Michelin USA they indicated that they would not recommend any tire they manufactured for use in replacement for travel trailer tires. Where did you get your information?
I called 1-800-847-3435, the customer service number listed on their web site, and spoke with the rep that answered the phone.

The reference to their RIB LT tire is a specific result of the conversation.

It will be interesting if you call and get another answer.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Gvw

Quote:
I have decided to replace my 5 year old Marathons with something different.

I do try to glean good advice from this excellent forum and from what I learned - although there are always different views, I felt that I would do well to
buy Maxxis E rated tires. (I now have GYM D's)

Well, they seem impossible to find up here in Ontario. I have been able to find a dealer who has Maxxis D' s and several dealers that have Carlisle E' s.

So that's where I'm stuck at! any thoughts?

My feeling is that perhaps Carlisle isn't as good a tire as Maxxis, but since I can get it in an E rating, that may more than compensate.

My trailer has an 8400 GVW, so a D rated tire should be fine, but I figured (not sure if the logic is sound) that an E rated tore would give me a greater margin of safety against blow out without any real downside.

I do have a TPMS and watch my tire pressures closely.

Brian.

PS - I did find a local dealer just today who offered me Hercules trailer tires in an E rating, but that isn't a tire I have heard anything about.
We have a 2008 30' Classic. The GVW for it is 10,000#. I didn't realize that there was such a weight difference in just 3 years.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
We have a 2008 30' Classic. The GVW for it is 10,000#. I didn't realize that there was such a weight difference in just 3 years.
I thinksomething funny went on the year our trailer was built. Mine shows a GVW of 8400# on the ID plate, but if I look at teh Airstream catalogue for that model I think it shows 10,000#GVW.

Also, if I look at the axles, I see they have "5000" chalked on them - not sure if that is relevant.

So I don't now what to think. I wonder if they ay have upgraded axles during that production run and increased the GVW. If so, I wonder what the GVW of mine really is, 8400# as per the ID plate, or 10,000#?

Maybe it is something I should pursue with JC to get a better understanding.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #28
_

. , .
weight/gvwr confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
the weight/rating change happened during a mid year production UPgrade in 2005.

basically the nekked base weight had grown so much that CARRY CAPACITY was only a few 100 lbs.

so higher rated axles were added during the production year.

Quote:
...Maybe it is something I should pursue with JC to get a better understanding....
unless your unit is really really early in the production year it is probably a 10k unit.

this confusion is covered in these 2 threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...-up-15259.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...sic-15300.html

basically the 5k axle upgrade = a 10k unit and started ~early in calendar year 2005 production.

and the weight spec' table is posted here (the colorful table) ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...res-27055.html

the website info, print flyers and individual trailer certificates were jumbled for awhile.

IF the print card (in the closet) and the trailer tag (streetside) don't show a gvwr of 10k...

AND the unit absolutely has 5 k axles...

a/s SHOULD be willing to provide the higher rating certificate.
_________

since u purchased used and don't know the unit history,

it IS possible the axles were up rated after production by the original owner.

the vin# and an email to tech support should sort this out.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
2001 25' Excella
2001 30' Classic S/O
2022 Atlas
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
I called 1-800-847-3435, the customer service number listed on their web site, and spoke with the rep that answered the phone.

The reference to their RIB LT tire is a specific result of the conversation.

It will be interesting if you call and get another answer.
I called 1-866-866-6605 and got a rep that eventually transferred me to the Michelin Transport Department. I had asked each representative specifically about P235/75R15 LTX tires for use on a travel trailer. Mentioned that I had an Airstream with a 7300GVRW and wanted to put them on. The person could not recommend the use of this specific tire for that application (it is an automotive tire for automotive use only) and deferred by passing me on to the Transport Division representative that handles other tire types. That rep indicated that Michelin made no LT tires for use on a Travel Trailer and if the travel trailer manufacturer had originally supplied the travel trailer with LT tires that is what I should use. The rep also said that using anything but a LT tire on a travel trailer would be a "Safety Issue" because an ST tire is manufactured with a stronger (they did no say stiffer) sidewall construction which is more cabable of handling the load. The rep had also indicated that the entire department had recently been notified (in the last few weeks) in a meeting that they should never recommend any of their tires for use in ST trailer applications.

The reps I talked to all seemed to be adamant about their tires and the use of those tires only for automotive applications and not for trailer use. Maybe we should start another thread to see if a bunch of us could call tire manufactures and get the same line from each of them. You and I have clearly gotten two differing opinions which makes me somewhat uncomfortable.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the weight/rating change happened during a mid year production UPgrade in 2005.

since u purchased used and don't know the unit history,

it IS possible the axles were up rated after production by the original owner.

the vin# and an email to tech support should sort this out.

cheers
2air'
Thanks for that info - I suspected that they may have changed axles sizes part way through the year.

My trailer is a 2005, but shows a build daye of 12/04 - so from what you is it most likely is (or at least was) the lower GVWR.

I wonder however about the fact that there is the number "5000" chalked onto the the axles. Possibly, as you say, the PO had it upgraded?

I wonder of the axle would have a capacity rating stamped on it someplace so I could verify what its rating actually is.

The trailer ID plate shows a GAWR of 4200.

Its certainly worth my while to email JC to see if they are able to shed any light. If it was upgraded by the PO, I suppose JC would only have that info if they did the work.

In any case I will email them with the VIN and see if they can help me to understand what I have here.

Thanks ......... Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 11-09-2010, 12:49 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks for that info - I suspected that they may have changed axles sizes part way through the year.

My trailer is a 2005, but shows a build daye of 12/04 - so from what you is it most likely is (or at least was) the lower GVWR.

I wonder however about the fact that there is the number "5000" chalked onto the the axles. Possibly, as you say, the PO had it upgraded?

I wonder of the axle would have a capacity rating stamped on it someplace so I could verify what its rating actually is.

The trailer ID plate shows a GAWR of 4200.

Its certainly worth my while to email JC to see if they are able to shed any light. If it was upgraded by the PO, I suppose JC would only have that info if they did the work.

In any case I will email them with the VIN and see if they can help me to understand what I have here.

Thanks ......... Brian
Unfortunately, Dexter does not mark their axles very well. Usually it's a paper label or chalk marks.

All Henschen axles have a metal plate spot welded to the tube, that shows the rating and axle serial number.

If you send me the last 7 digits of the serial number, I will try to have Airstream search the production records for what axles they show being installed.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
tire ratings.

Tires fail for a number of reasons, other than product failure.

Unbalanced, over loaded, over pressured as well as under pressured.

Why then, would someone want to install "E" tires, and then grossly under inflate them, so that the trailer ride is softened?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Read post 12 in the following:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ire-71294.html
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Unfortunately, Dexter does not mark their axles very well. Usually it's a paper label or chalk marks.

All Henschen axles have a metal plate spot welded to the tube, that shows the rating and axle serial number.

If you send me the last 7 digits of the serial number, I will try to have Airstream search the production records for what axles they show being installed.

Andy
Hi Andy,

Would it normally be Dexter axles that would have been installed as factory original in a 2005 model? (build date shows as 12/04).

The last seven characters of the VIN are "J517840".

I did actually send an email to Airstream today quoting the VIN, describing my situation vis a vis axles and asking if they were able to advise me at all.

Seems to me the last time I emailed AS with a query though, I never did get a reply so I'm not holding my breath! No doubt your contacts are better than mine.

Unfortunately my trailer isn't at the house but maybe I'll take a run out to the storage yard and see if I can get a better look at the axle to see if it has a welded ID tag or any kind of stamped info. Is it easy to differentiate between Henschen and Dexter axles by appearance?

I did happen to notice a couple of weeks ago that one axle had "5000" chalked on it - didn't look at the second axle.

It was only today that I started wondering if this meant that it was a 5000# axle and perhaps my trailer is capable of more load than the 8400# GVW stamped on the trailer ID plate (outside the trailer) would indicate.

Based on the stated 8400#GVW, the AS calculation on the sticker inside the trailer indicates I have a cargo carrying capacity of only 827#. Seems rather low!

Appreciate your help!

(Incidentally - I will be contacting you thru your website to see if it would be possible to have a couple of replacement skylights shipped to Tucson in March we will be there for a few weeks - I believe you have some that are more substantial than the factory originals.)

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 11-09-2010, 06:13 PM   #35
_

. , .
the 2005 classics have/had henschens axles.

while other models had already started the transition to dexter,

the classics didn't switch till the 2006 models appeared (~june/2005)

a build date of 12/04 IS a 2005, mid year assembly date.

the oem axles SHOULD have a tag with a serial number.

but if the oem running gear was swapped, all bets r off.

simply email tech support with the vin (last 6 really)...

there are no hard/fast rules regarding production,

as a/s seems to tweak things on the fly and variations seem to be da'rule.

just do the vin thang...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dexter Axel ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
If you have Dexter axels, then the following post may be of use to you:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...-id-70092.html
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
Portsmouth , Virginia
I have carlisle E rated tires on my trailer. So far they have been excellent. Make sure you get them balanced and if possible filled with nitrogen. That way ambient or road temp will have no effect on tire pressure. Maybe it was just my imagination but my trailer seemed to tow better that way. I always run manufacturers specified max air pressure. If they recomend it it must have been tested and so far so good. When on the interstate I usually travel around 70-75 mph. Have been for years with no problems. Also if your truck tires are at max psi you have alot less sway usually none even with big trucks.
PLDodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:25 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I agree with PLTodd. I have carlisle E rated tires on my 65 Safari after a bad experience with GYM's. I started out running them at 65 lbs. but now go up to 75 to 80 lbs. after learning my new rims are rated for the pressure. I find the trailer tows very well and is very responsive to my steering wheel. I also have a new Hension axle which did wonders for the ride. I feel a good axle a stiffer tire is the good bet...Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the 2005 classics have/had henschens axles.

while other models had already started the transition to dexter,

the classics didn't switch till the 2006 models appeared (~june/2005)

a build date of 12/04 IS a 2005, mid year assembly date.

the oem axles SHOULD have a tag with a serial number.

but if the oem running gear was swapped, all bets r off.

simply email tech support with the vin (last 6 really)...

there are no hard/fast rules regarding production,

as a/s seems to tweak things on the fly and variations seem to be da'rule.

just do the vin thang...

cheers
2air'

Thanks as usual "2Air!"

- I have emailed Airstream t see if they have any record of any changes made to my trailer axles since first built. I suppose that most likely they would only have record if the work were done at Jackson centre - but perhaps work done by an authorized AS dealer would find its way back to their records.

- with axle ID info provided by yourself, Inland Andy, and Nick Meloy, I will take a run out to the trailer today (nice day for a motorcycle ride anyway!) armed with flashlight, wire brush etc. and see if I can get under the trailer without jacking and see any tags or stamped numbers.

It is of course the fact that I saw a chalked number 5000 written on the axle that makes me hopeful that I may have the heavier axles fitted.

If not, I'll just live with what I have, but if ever I need to renew the axles I guess I would be wise to install the heavier units.

I double checked the info on my trailer and it shows a GVW of 8700# not 10,000# as the brochure would indicate, and accordingly, a cargo carrying capacity of only 827# over and above a full tank of fresh water and full propane tanks.

I guess 827 is still ok, but it would mean we are most likely running pretty close to the GVWR all the time and I do always like to be comfortably below max ratings

Of course one thing always leads to another, I think my Alcoa wheels are only rated at 2200# apiece anyway!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 11-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #40
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001excella View Post
I called 1-866-866-6605 and got a rep that eventually transferred me to the Michelin Transport Department. I had asked each representative specifically about P235/75R15 LTX tires for use on a travel trailer. Mentioned that I had an Airstream with a 7300GVRW and wanted to put them on. The person could not recommend the use of this specific tire for that application (it is an automotive tire for automotive use only) and deferred by passing me on to the Transport Division representative that handles other tire types. That rep indicated that Michelin made no LT tires for use on a Travel Trailer and if the travel trailer manufacturer had originally supplied the travel trailer with LT tires that is what I should use. The rep also said that using anything but a LT tire on a travel trailer would be a "Safety Issue" because an ST tire is manufactured with a stronger (they did no say stiffer) sidewall construction which is more cabable of handling the load. The rep had also indicated that the entire department had recently been notified (in the last few weeks) in a meeting that they should never recommend any of their tires for use in ST trailer applications.

The reps I talked to all seemed to be adamant about their tires and the use of those tires only for automotive applications and not for trailer use. Maybe we should start another thread to see if a bunch of us could call tire manufactures and get the same line from each of them. You and I have clearly gotten two differing opinions which makes me somewhat uncomfortable.
Seems to me that our conversation more correctly belongs in:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...res-69297.html

...and I will post a reply there.