Old 09-22-2010, 10:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
One of the differences in a ST tire is they have stiffer sidewalls to help control sway.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I would bet that the guys in the forum are complaining about D rated tires.
Carlisle and Maxxis are about the same im told.
E rated tires are just a little stronger to give you the extra margin of safety I think.

Roger
Hi Roger;
Owning and operating a boat business we had plenty of problems with Carlise tires especially 14" & 15". My E Maxiss are on the third season under 26' Argosy which is fully loaded at 6200 Lbs. Those Maxiss have rolled over 2000 miles of Pa pothole filled roads and another 3000 miles of interstate roads. No noticeable wear, feel cool after long run and no other issues were noted. Air pressure is maintained at 55 PSI. Thanks, "Boatdoc"

Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatdoc View Post
Hi Roger;
Owning and operating a boat business we had plenty of problems with Carlise tires especially 14" & 15". My E Maxiss are on the third season under 26' Argosy which is fully loaded at 6200 Lbs. Those Maxiss have rolled over 2000 miles of Pa pothole filled roads and another 3000 miles of interstate roads. No noticeable wear, feel cool after long run and no other issues were noted. Air pressure is maintained at 55 PSI. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
Thanks for the info Boatdoc, I'll remember it.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
2006 16' Safari
Minden , Nevada
I have an '07 30' Classic that I just put new tires on from America's Tire. I went with Transmasters Load Range "E" for the added safety. I had GYM on the trailer but could not get the same size in an "E" load range.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
One advantage of Carlise E's is my purchase from Discount Tire. They have outlets all over the US and carry these in almost all of their stores....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
One advantage of Carlise E's is my purchase from Discount Tire. They have outlets all over the US and carry these in almost all of their stores....Tim
If Discount Tire cannot get me Maxxix E's within the 2-3 weeks I expect to be in Tucson this winter, I imagine I will buy Carlisle E's.

They do tell me however that they would normally expect to get the Maxxis tires within 4-5 days.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
They Are ST tires. I know lots of folks praise the LT tires & for all I know they may be right - I don't know!

A lot of motorcycle riders claim that an auto tire on the back wheel performs very well, but I stick with tires designed for motorcycles, assuming that the designers know what they are doing! Certainly more than I do!

Of course the other consideration is that Id have to buy 5 new wheels too I guess because the folks switching to LT go to a 16" rim I believe.

Brian
Yes, I agree if you can get an ST in LRE for 15" rims that is the ideal combination
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #22
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
After a recent failure of one of my D rated ST Marathons I switched to Michelin E rated LT's.

I first switched to E rated Carlisle tires requiring 80 psig, but returned them after being told by Jackson Center that my rims were only good for tires carrying 65 psig.

Also, Jackson Center now offers LT's as an option and Michelin now says that their RIB LT's are okay for Airstreams.

Since the Marathons were 15" and the LTs 16" I had to also get new rims. Not cheap, but very cool.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:52 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post
After a recent failure of one of my D rated ST Marathons I switched to Michelin E rated LT's.

I first switched to E rated Carlisle tires requiring 80 psig, but returned them after being told by Jackson Center that my rims were only good for tires carrying 65 psig.

Also, Jackson Center now offers LT's as an option and Michelin now says that their RIB LT's are okay for Airstreams.

Since the Marathons were 15" and the LTs 16" I had to also get new rims. Not cheap, but very cool.

I've pretty much decided that I will wait until we get to Tucson this winter and try to get me some Maxxis E's there - we should be there for a few weeks if they need to be ordered, hopefully they can get them for me.

If not, I will go with the Carlisle E rated tires if they are available.

Hopefully our Marathons will get us to Tucson ok. I just had to get an inside patch put in one of them to fix a nail hole.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Old 11-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western slope , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRW View Post

When I talked to the transport division of Michelin USA they indicated that they would not recommend any tire they manufactured for use in replacement for travel trailer tires. Where did you get your information?
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM   #25
SRW
TEXAS66

Georgetown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001excella View Post
When I talked to the transport division of Michelin USA they indicated that they would not recommend any tire they manufactured for use in replacement for travel trailer tires. Where did you get your information?
I called 1-800-847-3435, the customer service number listed on their web site, and spoke with the rep that answered the phone.

The reference to their RIB LT tire is a specific result of the conversation.

It will be interesting if you call and get another answer.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Gvw

Quote:
I have decided to replace my 5 year old Marathons with something different.

I do try to glean good advice from this excellent forum and from what I learned - although there are always different views, I felt that I would do well to
buy Maxxis E rated tires. (I now have GYM D's)

Well, they seem impossible to find up here in Ontario. I have been able to find a dealer who has Maxxis D' s and several dealers that have Carlisle E' s.

So that's where I'm stuck at! any thoughts?

My feeling is that perhaps Carlisle isn't as good a tire as Maxxis, but since I can get it in an E rating, that may more than compensate.

My trailer has an 8400 GVW, so a D rated tire should be fine, but I figured (not sure if the logic is sound) that an E rated tore would give me a greater margin of safety against blow out without any real downside.

I do have a TPMS and watch my tire pressures closely.

Brian.

PS - I did find a local dealer just today who offered me Hercules trailer tires in an E rating, but that isn't a tire I have heard anything about.
We have a 2008 30' Classic. The GVW for it is 10,000#. I didn't realize that there was such a weight difference in just 3 years.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
We have a 2008 30' Classic. The GVW for it is 10,000#. I didn't realize that there was such a weight difference in just 3 years.
I thinksomething funny went on the year our trailer was built. Mine shows a GVW of 8400# on the ID plate, but if I look at teh Airstream catalogue for that model I think it shows 10,000#GVW.

Also, if I look at the axles, I see they have "5000" chalked on them - not sure if that is relevant.

So I don't now what to think. I wonder if they ay have upgraded axles during that production run and increased the GVW. If so, I wonder what the GVW of mine really is, 8400# as per the ID plate, or 10,000#?

Maybe it is something I should pursue with JC to get a better understanding.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 11-09-2010, 09:18 AM   #28
_

. , .
weight/gvwr confusion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
the weight/rating change happened during a mid year production UPgrade in 2005.

basically the nekked base weight had grown so much that CARRY CAPACITY was only a few 100 lbs.

so higher rated axles were added during the production year.

Quote:
...Maybe it is something I should pursue with JC to get a better understanding....
unless your unit is really really early in the production year it is probably a 10k unit.

this confusion is covered in these 2 threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...-up-15259.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...sic-15300.html

basically the 5k axle upgrade = a 10k unit and started ~early in calendar year 2005 production.

and the weight spec' table is posted here (the colorful table) ...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f296...res-27055.html

the website info, print flyers and individual trailer certificates were jumbled for awhile.

IF the print card (in the closet) and the trailer tag (streetside) don't show a gvwr of 10k...

AND the unit absolutely has 5 k axles...

a/s SHOULD be willing to provide the higher rating certificate.
_________

since u purchased used and don't know the unit history,

it IS possible the axles were up rated after production by the original owner.

the vin# and an email to tech support should sort this out.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote