Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Maximum speed

I just received from a Carlisle rep that the maximum sustainable speed on all the RH & HD trailer tires and the one I use RH225 75 R 15 is 81 mph. Now go to their website and see what load range/weight is. I don't think Michelin can match it. Have a nice day. Zoom Zoom.
Barbieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just curious, do you tow at 81 mph?

Just my opinion, but besides tire failures, other towing problems happen much faster at this speed, and with worse outcomes.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I do not tow at 81 mph. I also don't strictly stay 65 or less. I chose Carlisle tires partially because of their higher speed rating. I figure the extra rating is a good margin of error for those times I want to go 70 with the traffic.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
I regularly tow at 72 mph with my trailers I've never had an issue. But im a strong believer in preventive maintenance and take great care of my trucks and trailers.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We got up to 78 mph today to avoid a congested semi truck situation on I40. The Michelins are still holding fast.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 10:52 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On a long flat run across Texas, I drifted up to about 75. When I noticed, I eased off to my usual 60-65. No, I'm not running GYMs.

All four of them were replaced when two went out on my son on a trip. Michelin on 16" wheels will be the next set.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We got up to 78 mph today to avoid a congested semi truck situation on I40. The Michelins are still holding fast.
Wow those semis must have been really moving!

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbieri View Post
I just received from a Carlisle rep that the maximum sustainable speed on all the RH & HD trailer tires and the one I use RH225 75 R 15 is 81 mph. Now go to their website and see what load range/weight is. I don't think Michelin can match it. Have a nice day. Zoom Zoom.
That's true about the weight ratings, I believe. But if one goes to 16 inch true LT tires it's a wash and the truck tires are much safer, in my opinion from my experience.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Don't know about Carlisle trailer tires, we have only used Michelins on our four AS and so far never had an issue, no matter temperature or speed. Our speed is within reasonable limits. But, two quick points, I used to be GM at a company that uses hundreds of thousands of tires per year, we used to be exclusively Carlisle (not trailers), we cancelled our relationship due to ever decreasing quality. Switched to a Kendra Tires. Next point, if the "rep" from Carlisle was a sales person or marketing person I think I'd prefer to hear from an engineer as to their specifications. I'd also go by what is stamped on the side of the tire as to weight and speed ratings.

Enjoy

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 05:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I have the newest version of the Carlisle tire on my trailer and see no issue with them. Load rating is way up and if I hit 75 while towing, I am passing something. I tend to ride my own ride and usually stay around 65 on the high end. I have no low end, if I'm going too slow for you, pass me. Along with inspection and maintenance make sure that your axles are running true.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I contacted Carlisle via email 2 days ago. They didn't say anything about the 81 mph speed rating but that is good to know there was an improvement in the speed rating. 65 mph can get you ran over on Interstate 75. The email stated that Carlisle is discontinuing the Radial Trail RH in favor of the improved Radial Trail HD tire.
The new tires will still be manufactured in Communist China - Bummer......
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Well, they can try to run me over, but I'm not exceeding 65mph no matter what. If I need to go faster, I shouldn't be towing 8000 lbs.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
If you read my previous posts on trailer tires you will see that I don't travel over 65. That is why I averaged 14 - 15 mpg on a 15000 mile trip. I have a high output 2012 Ram 2500 6.7l diesel. But I do see small trailers passing me like I was standing still. I guess when the sign posted is speed limit 80 it means you should go that speed. Like insane.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:18 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
It would be nice if you identify the type and make of vehicle your writing about. I don't think your writing about Airstreams. I am.
Old 10-24-2016, 08:21 AM   #15
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
So let me give you my perspective as a tire engineer.

The ST load tables are designated for speeds below 65 mph. It is known from experience that in order to have a successful tire, the tire must pass the speed rating test by a certain amount MORE than the speed limitation (applies to all tires with a speed limitation regardless of type!)

So by how much does an ST tire need to exceed the speed limitation? I don't know, but an N speed rating is only 3 steps about the 65 mph speed limitation and that sounds like it might be the right value.

Side note: The same is true about load, but this isn't nearly as visible.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Interesting reading from the Tire Rack site also regarding 'speed' : (some content removed to shorted this post)

During the second half of 2015, a Service Description was branded on each Marathon Radial's sidewall, identifying the tire's Load Index and L-Speed Rating (75 mph - 120 kmh).

• Goodyear Marathon Special Trailer tires, with the "ST" size designation, are speed rated at 65 MPH (105 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.
• If Goodyear tires, with the ST designation, are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 km/h and 120 km/h), we recommend the cold inflation pressure be increased by 10 psi (70 kPa) above the recommended pressure based on the trailer placard for normal inflation and load conditions. You should also consult your trailer manufacturer’s Owner’s Manual for maximum operating speed recommendations for the trailer.
o Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (70 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
o Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel or the valve.
o Light Truck (“LT”) designated tires do not have the same load carrying capacity as ST tires. If LT tires are used on trailer applications, the inflation pressure and/or tire sizing will need to be adjusted to match the load carrying requirements of the trailer.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Fact: The "D" rated GYM has a 65 PSI spec for 65 MPH.

So If I wanted to run slightly faster (65 - 70 mph) the PSI could be increased to 75 PSI?
or
is the extra 10 PSI over and above the load inflation table amount?
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 12:18 PM   #18
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Goodyear Marathon Load Tables

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Fact: The "D" rated GYM has a 65 PSI spec for 65 MPH.

So If I wanted to run slightly faster (65 - 70 mph) the PSI could be increased to 75 PSI?
or
is the extra 10 PSI over and above the load inflation table amount?
Sorry that isn't quite the facts; it depends on the weight placed on the tires.

Goodyear has a table where you can see what the recommended inflation is for your tires / weight. The 65 PSI on the side of the tire is max pressure and would be used if your tires were carrying the maximum allowable weight.

Here is the link to the Goodyear Service Bulletin that mentions adding 10 PSI if you are going to travel more than the recommend speed of 65 mph. If you read the bulletin carefully, with particular attention to "we recommend the cold inflation pressure be increased by 10 psi (70 kPa) above the recommended pressure based on the trailer placard for normal inflation and load conditions...". This is referencing the proper inflation based on the actual weight on your axle/tires. For example, using the GYM Inflation Tables with my trailer and loaded weight, I inflate my tires (cold) to 55 PSI. This provides a smoother ride and protects my trailer from a harsh ride which can pop rivets and open drawers and cabinets, etc.

You will often read mis-information that you should always inflate to the maximum PSI. This is a CYA position from some trailer manufacturers as they assume that an owner will always load their trailer to the maximum (or greater.) You may benefit from taking your loaded-for-camping coach to a weigh scale and find out the weight that is on the axle(s).
Old 11-07-2016, 07:22 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post

Goodyear has a table where you can see what the recommended inflation is for your tires / weight. The 65 PSI on the side of the tire is max pressure and would be used if your tires were carrying the maximum allowable weight.

Here is the link to the Goodyear Service Bulletin that mentions adding 10 PSI if you are going to travel more than the recommend speed of 65 mph. If you read the bulletin carefully, with particular attention to "we recommend the cold inflation pressure be increased by 10 psi (70 kPa) above the recommended pressure based on the trailer placard for normal inflation and load conditions...". This is referencing the proper inflation based on the actual weight on your axle/tires. For example, using the GYM Inflation Tables with my trailer and loaded weight, I inflate my tires (cold) to 55 PSI. This provides a smoother ride and protects my trailer from a harsh ride which can pop rivets and open drawers and cabinets, etc.

You will often read mis-information that you should always inflate to the maximum PSI. This is a CYA position from some trailer manufacturers as they assume that an owner will always load their trailer to the maximum (or greater.) You may benefit from taking your loaded-for-camping coach to a weigh scale and find out the weight that is on the axle(s).

The only problem I have with your premise is the weight. I can see some poor guy running to the scales to find the weight. Fill fresh water tanks or not full tanks plus refrigerator etc. I would go with max weight of tires capability plus max tire pressure and anything under that is a safety margin. I run tires at 80 psi with rated load 2830 lbs. max speed is 81mph.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post

Sorry but the science does not support your opinion. I suggest you Google "Interply Shear tires" to learn about the unique loading on tire belts in trailer application.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote