Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Max Running Temp and PSI For GYE LR-D Tires

I'm trying to determine the maximum running temperature and pressure for Goodyear Endurance ST 205/75R15 Load Range D tires. The Goodyear web site doesn't seem to have the information. Does anyone here know how to determine these limits?
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The max pressure (cold) will be on the sidewall of the tire. If you are shopping and don’t have one to look at, Tire Rack usually has that information. I have never seen a max temperature specified for a vehicle tire but actually never looked...
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
The tire engineers in the forum speak about this often. This will be wrong but close I believe:

Max cold PSI is 80. Driving on them may increase PSI by 10% (so up to 88 PSI). If they increase by 15% (92 or more PSI), take action to correct that by slowing down first (don’t bleed pressure out) and finding the problem (overweight for load, too fast,etc.).

The caveat is you’d have to back out a rise in PSI caused by a rise in ambient temp. If you were at 80 PSI starting your trip and it was 70* out at the time, but in a few hours the ambient temp rises to 100, that’s a 30* increase. For every 10* increase I think they say expect a 2% rise in PSI - so here you’d have a 6% rise or say 5 PSI that you’d back out of the earlier calculation.

As for temps, my TPMS manufacturer sets the upper limit alarm at 157* if I’m not mistaken but the tire engineers here have said the max is somewhere around 200* - the 157 is to give warning to take action to stop the heat buildup which over time destroys the tire.

The engineers may chime in with more accurate info but I think directionally I’m close on what they’ve said in many threads.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No, they are Load range D tires. The maximum cold inflation pressure is 65 psi. I doubt if Goodyear specifies a maximum temperature. Been wondering about these myself since my trailer does not seem heavy enough to me to need 80 psi and load range E.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:48 AM   #5
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
First, thanks to SteveSueMac for getting what I said right.

In theory, the trailer manufacturers should have provided you with tires that will operate within the max pressure and max temperature regardless of how to use the trailer. Unfortunately, that has not always been the case.

To deal with this, both Tireman9 and I advocate weighing the trailer - either by individual wheel position, or by compensating for the front/rear and side to side weight variation.

I also advocate that a tire not be used at more than 85% of its rated capacity at the cold operating pressure.

I assume the OP (SilverWind) wants this information so he can monitor via his TPMS - and that's a good idea. But ambient temperature increases can drastically affect the pressure buildup and may falsely lead one to believe that the pressure buildup is too much. Check out this thread for an example : http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...-200372-5.html

Further, the position of the temperature sensor has an effect on the reading - and the example shows one where it appears the sensor is giving too low of a reading.

Want to learn about tires? Please visit my website: Barry's Tire Tech New content every month!
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, thanks to SteveSueMac for getting what I said right.

First time for everything [emoji3]
Old 09-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
No, they are Load range D tires. The maximum cold inflation pressure is 65 psi. I doubt if Goodyear specifies a maximum temperature. Been wondering about these myself since my trailer does not seem heavy enough to me to need 80 psi and load range E.

Good point - I missed the LR D part. 65 PSI is max on the sidewalk for that. Same math applies - just a different max number (and you can complicate it further if you go by max, or by the tables, or by the tables with an X% buffer added.....).
Old 09-16-2019, 10:11 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
The tire engineers in the forum speak about this often. This will be wrong but close I believe:

Max cold PSI is 80. Driving on them may increase PSI by 10% (so up to 88 PSI). If they increase by 15% (92 or more PSI), take action to correct that by slowing down first (don’t bleed pressure out) and finding the problem (overweight for load, too fast,etc.).

The caveat is you’d have to back out a rise in PSI caused by a rise in ambient temp. If you were at 80 PSI starting your trip and it was 70* out at the time, but in a few hours the ambient temp rises to 100, that’s a 30* increase. For every 10* increase I think they say expect a 2% rise in PSI - so here you’d have a 6% rise or say 5 PSI that you’d back out of the earlier calculation.

As for temps, my TPMS manufacturer sets the upper limit alarm at 157* if I’m not mistaken but the tire engineers here have said the max is somewhere around 200* - the 157 is to give warning to take action to stop the heat buildup which over time destroys the tire.

The engineers may chime in with more accurate info but I think directionally I’m close on what they’ve said in many threads.
The OP was trying to discuss Load Range "D" tires, not "E" rated. If you have tire pressures of 157, you are probably under inflated....
Just sayin'
Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
The OP was trying to discuss Load Range "D" tires, not "E" rated. If you have tire pressures of 157, you are probably under inflated....

Just sayin'

Larry

Yes - apologies for the D vs E miss.

The 157 was temp, not pressure.