Old 08-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Marathon Tires and hot weather

2airishhuman
I posted it on the thread Tires....Tires....Tires
and that was the Cooper Custom Trailer Plus.
I would have bought that on in a heart beat but Cooper Tires marketing structure made the tire almost impossible to get. Even if was a great tire, and I personally think it might have been, occasionally you whack something on the road and loose a tire. No fun waiting 3 days for an exact replacment to arrive. I carried a speedrating of S and was constructed much better than the GoodYears. They had extra glass belts to hold the thing together.
I now understand that that Cooper has discontinued the tire due to lack of sales. Thats a shame.
In conversations with commercial users of trailers, lawn companies, demolition companies constructions that used trailers that came with the Marathon, they all said that their trouble stopped when they went to 16 inch light truck tires of the same load rating (D) as the ST Marathons.
One such trailer manufacturer that used torsion axles supplied 5 new 16 wheels with Michelin LT tires to replace the 15 Marathons, they were cross terrain I think.
Any way, I did my research, talked to commercial users, canvassed this community and drew my own conclusions and bought what I think will give me many years of trouble free service.
All I ask now is that all failures be reported to the NHTSA at:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
All these tire failures are not our fault or problem. It the tires fault and should be the manufacturers problem.
Beginner

Old 08-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
One man's opinion

I also posted this in an earlier thread. My 24' Argosy came from farm land in Illinois. When I purchased it there were four brand new Primex HW 100 XT light truck tires. I have towed the trailer around Arizona a bit and the tires handle real well and show no signs of sidewall deterioration. If someone has some experience with these tires, I'd like to hear. These tires are from a Canadian affiliate of an US company (GPX) that is best known for industrial and long haul tires. Just thought I would put my two cents worth in...

Old 09-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
. . . and my trailer came from "farm land" in Wisconsin . . . with the same Primex HW 100 XT's (brand new). I found all the specs for them but no "feedback", anyone have any?

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
The GoodYear Marathons are marginal; not enough rubber on them for exciting travels. I've had 7 die on me so far in my 98, not counting the additional 3 replaced by good year under warranty. 6 of them have been load range D:s. The failure rate is much higer than on my truck. I use smartire gen 1 to monitor pressure and temp in my tires. It has paid for itself in multiples since I have never damaged rims, wells or aluminum. I am considering alternatives with more rubber on them, to reduce risk of penetration. I'll really want 245s, for a bit more clearance, but I am hesitant to throw away 6 tires (4 on trailer and 2 spares). Has anyone looked at more beefy alternatives?

My experience with observed and acceptable temperature is a fairly consistent 40F plus ambient at around 65mph. Anything above that is often a sign of a bad bearing or tire that is no longer round. A bad bearing typically adds 10F or more, same with tires that are no longer round (due to internal structural problems).
Old 11-25-2006, 08:30 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We also experienced a dual blowout. Check out the details and tire photos at thread http://www.airforums.com/forum...ay-15566.html?

73/gus
Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 08:46 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
According to the Cooper web page, the Cooper Custom Trailer Plus is discontinued.

73/gus

Hensley/Prodigy
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote