Old 07-23-2006, 10:31 PM   #57
1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Another good tire is Titan Tires. The ones I'm putting on are 225?75/15 class (E). There a little bit more money,but worth it!!!!

william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:39 AM   #58
. , .
Originally Posted by jcanavera
.Technically those folks exceeding the speed rating for their tire are unknowingly causing their load capacity to be reduced thus the potential for tire failure increases. For the Marathon tire that rating is 65 mph.Jack
hi jack and others.....
just reading this thread for the 1st time...what a lot of hot air!

anyway i noticed in the goodyear documentation this.......

bullet 2 addresses partially,
the issue many of us create....
driving faster than 65mph.......

my reading of this is
IF planning to drive faster, increase pressures by 10 psi,
not to exceed WHEEL limits...
i've got 15000lbs+ of capacity with my 6 tires inflated to 65 psi...
which is where i leave'em....
i routinely drive at lots of people.
another place in the rv towing guide
points out that this increases tread wear up to 30%
ok i can live with that....
20,000 miles on these tires
and i'm not getting any treadwear yet that i can measure.....
(hey maybe this is where that guy got the figure about decreasing tire "life" by 30%, in an old thread....

my point here and in the next post
is that running my tires at max pressure may shake the trailer (andy)
but gives me load capacity way above trailer weight (10,500-11,000)
and goodyear's formula suggests
IF i drive at 70, the 65 psi is above my needs too...

so now i'm feeling better about 72mph....
not ignoring the reaction times, mpg, braking distances and so on...

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 01:55 AM   #59
. , .
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
bhayden is absolutely correct. Heat is the key factor.
hi bob, bryan, azfly' and others looking at this.....

i posted this info in another thread but really it belongs here....
.................................................. ....................................
tire temps and so on.....

i 2 carry and use a laser temp gadget....mine is a sears craftsman electronics tool (for ac/dc volt/ohm/amp stuff) that included the laser thermometer...

i've used it regularly over the last year and still don't have a clue about the data i collect...

first what is it measuring? surface temps......only.
i use my hand as a reference...and usually get 91-92 degrees....but just a few millimeter below the surface in the tissue and blood my true temp is 95-98 degrees....

for metal this isn't an issue because metal is a good conductor of heat so surface and sub surface are gonna be real close...

so for hub temps or disc rotor temps i can understand using it to find the hot brake or the hot bearing....and i use it to watch these things too.

on the tire side...... rubber is a poor conductor of heat....

so how does surface temp actually correlate to side wall or tread base temps? i don't have a clue......

now for some data points.....
whenever i stop along the interstate i check temps.......
at 70-85 degree air temps my trailer tires are typically 80 degrees on the low side and 91 degrees as a high....and usually they are all within a 2-3 degree range.
my truck tires are usually 10-15 degrees warmer at 95-110. recently the rear truck tires have been 5 degrees warmer than fronts....and my axles loads are currently 3-400 higher on the rear....

it makes sense to me that the truck tires are warmer...they are turning, pulling and supporting greater loads and doing more types of heat producing work, while the trailer tires do less work so they should generate less heat....

i always measure shade side as the temps to watch......why?
sun side fluctuates wildly......often the sun side is 100 when the shade is 80 or sunside 120 when the shade side is 95....

and i've measured sun side 30 minutes AFTER stoping and it is some times 130+ while the shade side is 80 or less.....

even before driving sun side tire surface temps measure 130+ if in direct sun and air temps are 85 or above.....

my point here is we have all learned tires fail from heat....
but at what temp is this an issue?
and how do we relate surface temps to the meat of a tire?

perhaps what we really need is temp sensors inside the tire along with pressure monitors....and this is the data we could follow...tire air pressures and temps. or perhaps tires with radio frequency temp emittors imbedded in the cords....and this is the info to follow...

just come thoughts on hot tires

.................................................. ......................

so bob and others,

what i'd like to know is at WHAT temp are tires negatively effected and how does surface temp measurement relate to internal/core temps?

anyone know?
all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:30 AM   #60
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Marathon and other side-wall failures

Instead of trying to reinvent the wheel, why dont we just report all tire failures for what ever reason to the NHTSA and track their posting. This will call attention to the problem and force examination and testing of these suspect tires.
Go to the web site and see for yourself how many failures are actually reported.
The NHTSA is driven by numbers.
The manufacturers are loving the apathy exhibited by us the consumer.
The tire companies have been very succesfull in convincing us that these tire failures are our fault.
Don't believe it.
Tire failures are not a part of vacation.
They are the result of less expensive construction techniques, lack of quality control and offshore manufacturering (lower labor costs and lack of expertiece).
Simply Report the Failures

Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:32 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member
1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
One man's opinion

At the risk of throwing salt in what appears to be a gaping wound, I've got some Primex HW 100XT tires on my 24' Argosy and they seem to be very stable. Granted, they are loaded at less that 1250lbs each but their performance at high speeds on Arizona roads has been impressive. They seem to be Canadian tires and may not be widely available in the US. Has anyone even heard of Primex. It seems as if their primary claim to fame is industrial and long haul tires.

flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote