Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
Oh, and just to hedge my bet a bit, I will be installing a TPMS.

Poppy
What is the DOT manufactured date on your tires? I did not know Firestone had an ST tire.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Bud...

I cut and pasted the description from a note I had received from the PO. I think they're actually Omni Trail ST225/75R 15 E, one of the countless Chinese "brands". Can't say I'm brimming with confidence in them. That's why I thought it would be prudent to install a TPMS.

Poppy

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Actually, if you download and read the Eddie Bauer manual, there is no mention of the 16" tires and wheels the factory will install on that trailer as an option. So there must be a supplemental page given to the owner as the sticker on the side will mention only 15" ST blow-a-thons.
This reference lists Michelin's.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/assets/ocp...hure_Dec10.pdf

BA

p.s. That only applies to the EB models and even though the brand mentioned is Michelin, the certification label will only list the size, so any other brand of the same size can be used as a replacements.
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #46
LFC
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Memphis , Tennessee
If true Airstream is setting themselves up for some hefty lawsuits.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I walked into the Airstream factory store in Jackson Center, Ohio in October 2012, there were two big items on display on the left side of the entrance hallway. A 16" Sendel wheel and 16" Michelin tire were shown as an upgrade to any more recent Airstream that came with 15" wheels. There was also the exhibit for a retrofittable electric/hydraulic brake system.

Thus one can say it is "public" knowledge that the factory recommends and authorizes the use of the SenDel T03-66655 wheel (rated 3,580 pounds @ 80psi) and 16" Michelin LT 225/75R16E (LTX M/S2) tire (rated 2,680 pounds @ 80psi). They install them on the Eddie Bauer model. One can even have that tire and wheel installed immediately after coming off the production line.

I specifically ordered that wheel from Discount Tire in plain aluminum (no black highlights) and that tire (will be ordered from CostCo when the trailer arrives for freshness)) so there will be no warranty argument down the road over tire selection issues. They will be installed along with both Centramatic wheel balancers and a Dill TPMS on our ordered 2014 Classic model 30 when it gets here at the end of January.

Thus, one could say that the factory installs (and therefore recommends) both the Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15D and the Michelin LT 225/75R16E tires with appropriate wheels.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
". . . one could say that the factory installs (and therefore recommends) both the Goodyear Marathon ST225/75R15D and the Michelin LT 225/75R16E tires with appropriate wheels."

switz, that's good enough for me as well, and the justification for using the 16" Michelin/Sendel's as we looked for the most reliable tire that matches our Airstream.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 10:09 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Perelli LT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Here's a D rated 15" LT tire...2335lbs at 65 PSI

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Anyone have experience with the Perelli? It looks like a reasonable solution for my 34 since the 'vault' is quite empty. Even de-rated for trailer use, 6 of these would give me at least a 2000# capacity cushion. Or am I looking at it wrong? I see on some reviews people complaining of 'flat spots', which would not work well with a trailer that sits most of the time.

Thanks, Philip
Old 10-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Here's one. I had it in the back if the truck from getting a new valve stem.
I sent your photo along with another email to Michelin asking why their website gave a different rating from what was actually stamped on the tire. Their response was that the decrease capacity rating was due to the passenger tire being used on a light truck.

I assume that means any P tire used in place of a LT tire has to be de-rated, the same as if a P or LT was used in place of a ST on a trailer.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:24 AM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I sent your photo along with another email to Michelin asking why their website gave a different rating from what was actually stamped on the tire. Their response was that the decrease capacity rating was due to the passenger tire being used on a light truck.

I assume that means any P tire used in place of a LT tire has to be de-rated, the same as if a P or LT was used in place of a ST on a trailer.
Alan,
My understanding is that an LT does not have to have it's weight capacity de-rated when used on a trailer.
But yes, regarding a P, you are correct, is does have to be de-rated.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
GMW,
Would you share your source of information, regarding not de-rating the LTs.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #53
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
GMW,
Would you share your source of information, regarding not de-rating the LTs.
Alan,
The following quote from a NHTSA doc:
==================

E. De-rating of P-metric Tires/Tire Selection/Load Reserve RMA and GRRF supported NHTSA's retention of the 1.10 load service factor used to reduce the load rating of passenger car tires when installed on an MPV, truck, bus, or trailer, as specified in Part 571.110 Paragraph S4.2.2.2 of the proposed rule. RMA believed that this reduction in load rating is necessary for the reasons stated by NHTSA and is also appropriate to reduce the load rating for passenger car tires used on light trucks, vans, SUVs, and trailers for the following reasons: 1) higher stress on the tire due to the higher center of gravity of these vehicles; 2) more severe service conditions as compared to passenger cars; 3) greater potential for overload due to open cargo areas and increased likelihood for towing; and 4) more tire related problems on light trucks, SUVs, and vans.
==================

Also, if we look at Barrys's site, he refers us to tire racks comments:

=============
Also consider that Special Trailer (ST), as well as Light Truck (LT) tires are fully rated for trailer applications. This means ST- and LT-sized tires can carry the full weight rating branded on the sidewalls when used on a trailer.
However when P-metric or Euro-metric tires are used on a trailer, the load capacity branded on the sidewalls must be reduced by 9%. This means P-metric or Euro-metric tires with a maximum branded load rating of 1,874 lbs. for use on a car is only rated to carry 1,705 lbs. when used on a trailer.
==========

It seems there was something on the GoodYear site as well....when I get some time later I'll see if I can dig it up. Good Year has a habit of burying some of the excellent tech advice rather deeply in their website. It can usually be found, but some digging is required.

george
Old 10-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
GMW,
Thank you for sharing your knowledge!
Old 10-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #55
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmaestro View Post
This is easily the most confusing topic here for me.

I have read many of the seemingly interminable threads and have come away with only one thing that I know for sure - I don't have the intelligence required to process the many data points. I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose.

I'm a little groggy, but I have come away with the following:

o My trailer has brand new Firestone ST225/75R15 E Omni Trails installed by the PO. I can't find much information on these, I do like the E-rating, but I believe they're made in China. Unless these pose real and present danger I would like to use them up. My wife and I are leaving on a 5-6,000 trip in January - think these are OK?

When it is time to replace them:

o I have learned to avoid Goodyear Marathons like I would avoid rabid bats.

o Might be nice to avoid the Asian pot stickers.

o I love the idea of cool looking aluminum 16" rims with the proper Michelins. Coming from the Porsche world I've learned to like Michelins. When it comes time to replace my tires that's a likely course of action - provided there's something in the vault.

o If the vault is empty, I will probably go with the 15" Michelins recommended and used by Andy - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...tml#post914066

And I'm going to refrain from reading about tires for a while - going to catch up on TinCrumpet's adventures.

Poppy
Are you sure the tires say "Firestone" on them? Never heard of that line of tires from Firestone.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
rockwall , Texas
My wife said that replacing the ST tires on our trailer with 16" Sendel/Michelin LT tires was the 2nd best decision I have made in my life.