Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
mandolindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,116
Images: 4
Alan

Your math is correct if you subtract 10% and then subtract 10% of the sum.

If you just subtract 20%, the number would be 1749 lbs. To be safe I use 1749, multiplied by two tires....it comes to 3498 lbs. That's cutting it close for my trailer. Idroba said his Argosy 20' load on the axle is about 3500 lbs

I forgot to add in weight of food, drink, pots & pans, silverware, clothes, bedding, tools, cables, books, toiletries, stone guards, and mandolin strings.
__________________

__________________
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,649
Make sure you subtract the hitch weight from the load.

Perry
__________________

__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
SteveSueMac's Avatar

 
2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Make sure you subtract the hitch weight from the load.

Perry
I would think the best way to get the weight is at the scales, fully loaded and with WD applied. This will tell you exactly what's on the trailer axle(s). I know others recommend weighing each wheel position.
__________________
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
mandolindave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,116
Images: 4
Perry

I am using Idrobas stats, and yes he subtracted tongue weight

By the way thanks Idroba.
__________________
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"
 
ROBERT CROSS's Avatar

 
2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 11,153
Images: 1
Thumbs up

"This makes me wonder how the Michelin tires that come from the Airstream factory are warrantied. Has anyone had an experience with obtaining service for Michelin tires on a trailer while under warranty?"
__________________
Alan

If it's the same as all the other "equipment" warranties, it's covered or not covered by the manufacturer. In this case.... never mind, they'er 16" LT's.

Bob
__________________
PFC.....

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
The factory installed 16" Michelin LT 225/75R16E LTX M/S2 (Michelin part number P/N 05681) tires are rated 2,680 pounds at 80 psi and the SenDel T03-66655T wheel is rated 3,580 pounds at 80 psi. Since these are NOT passenger tires, they do NOT need to be derated.

These tires are not speed limited to 65 mph like "ST" tires.

The dealer of the tire typically provides and services the warranty (He fills out the warranty paper work and checks how the tire is being used).

I purchased the five 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires for our 25FB International Serenity from a specific dealer who knew the Airstream application. I recently got a roofing nail in the corner of the tread and he replaced the tire at no charge under their road hazard program.

He will also sell me the five 16" tires captioned at the beginning of my post for our new Airstream Classic model 30 when it arrives in February.

Here is some informative and precise reading on the derating topic:

49 CFR 571.110

Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less.

S4.2.2.1
Except as provided in S4.2.2.2, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. If the certification label shows more than one GAWR for the axle system, the sum shall be not less than the GAWR corresponding to the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle.

S4.2.2.2
When passenger car tires are installed on an MPV, truck, bus, or trailer, each tire's load rating is reduced by dividing it by 1.10 before determining, under S4.2.2.1, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle.

S4.2.2.3
(a) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with passenger car tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the derated load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.
(b) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with LT tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,432
Images: 8
I just read through the Michelin Truck Tire Warranty 2013 and see NOTHING that states if installed on a trailer that the warranty is void. So, the dealer may be wrong. It does mention using on motorhomes and it is covered.
__________________
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Another of the few remaining options of LT for 15" rims in the Continental Vanco 2.
215/70-15 LR D is rated as 2271 lb @ 65 psi
__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
:

49 CFR 571.110

Tire selection and rims and motor home/recreation vehicle trailer load carrying capacity information for motor vehicles with a GVWR of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) or less.

S4.2.2.1
Except as provided in S4.2.2.2, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle shall not be less than the GAWR of the axle system as specified on the vehicle's certification label required by 49 CFR part 567. If the certification label shows more than one GAWR for the axle system, the sum shall be not less than the GAWR corresponding to the size designation of the tires fitted to the axle.

S4.2.2.2
When passenger car tires are installed on an MPV, truck, bus, or trailer, each tire's load rating is reduced by dividing it by 1.10 before determining, under S4.2.2.1, the sum of the maximum load ratings of the tires fitted to an axle.

S4.2.2.3
(a) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with passenger car tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the derated load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.
(b) For vehicles, except trailers with no designated seating positions, equipped with LT tires, the vehicle normal load on the tire shall be no greater than 94 percent of the load rating at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressure for that tire.
Would you mind sharing the source of these?
Thanks!
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Would you mind sharing the source of these?
Thanks!
Alan,
if you do a search for 49 CFR 571.110 it will lead you to various DOT and other documents regarding tire specs
__________________
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I just read through the Michelin Truck Tire Warranty 2013 and see NOTHING that states if installed on a trailer that the warranty is void. So, the dealer may be wrong. It does mention using on motorhomes and it is covered.
This is a link to the warranty for Michelin Light Truck and Passenger tires.
http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...omise_Plan.pdf
When I asked the customer service rep at Michelin about warranty of these tires on a trailer, they referred me to page 1 (which is 4/30 in the pdf) about 2/3 down where it talks about misuse or misapplication.

I'm not trying to argue a point, just pointing out what Michelin told me.
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,573
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Alan,
if you do a search for 49 CFR 571.110 it will lead you to various DOT and other documents regarding tire specs
A link to the document
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec571-110.pdf
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:59 PM   #27
Rivet Master
 
rodsterinfl's Avatar

 
2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 2,432
Images: 8
Hey AW Warn. You probably got a similar message that I got from my local dealer. I did look over the warranty on your link, it was different from the Truck Tire Warranty book. I did not see anywhere where misapplication was spelled out nor did it exclude trailers except on the three year road assistance warranty which says it does not include the replacement, etc. So, I am not sure they would be able to call it misapplication do you? Just thinking.
__________________
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #28
Rivet Master
 
1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 5,649
I don't know why everyone is worried about warrantees. Passenger and Light truck tires very rarely fail. I have never returned a tire for failure. I have returned some that were out of round. I have never had a tire blow out. I am not talking about trailer tires and I don't run trailer tires on my trailer. For the rare occurance of a tire failure, just buy a new one and move on. If you want a warrantee just tell them that the 15" 6 bolt rims you brought in are from a 90 Suburban 4x4.

Perry
__________________

__________________
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.