Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Lug Nuts... not just cute... but necessary

16" Sendel Wheels and Michelin LT225/75R16 LTX M/S2 Load Range E tires. S20-66655T, 16x6 at a cost of $106.40 each.

-16" Sendel Wheels
Five wheels @ $532.00
One set of lug nuts for four wheels @ $29.00
Handling/Boxing charge in three cartons @ $22.95
Delivery via FedEx Ground 3-21 tendering date / delivery date 3-24 from CA
Total Cost: $583.95 Performance Plus

This complements the discussion of Airstream lug nuts being used with the replaced wheels in the above thread.
Lug nuts compatible with our Sendel Wheels cost me $29.00. Also were included were a 'security lug nut' for each wheel that takes a special socket to remove.

I advise anyone replacing their wheels, purchase those lug nuts that the wheel sales people advise to use with them.

The original lug nuts on my Airstreams (2006 and 2014) had some metal covering for appearance? They were easily damaged when removing them and could also break lose. I did not hesitate to purchase the set of replacement lug nuts for $28.00 that came with my wheel purchased delivery.

Now... if I can remember exactly WHERE I put the 'Security Socket'!

Oh yes. I recall. They offer a duplicate for a cost... if desired.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Yes Ray, My locking lug nut key is in the trailer's junk drawer. Keeping things together is getting harder to do.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
OPINION: Locking lug-nuts are a ridiculous joke and only offer an opportunity for trouble.
Firstly, you are likely thinking you are preventing or slowing-down a potential thief of your wheels. You are not. Right next to the locking lug-nuts at any Pep-Boys is sold a "universal locking lug nut remover" which anyone can buy or shoplift for about the same price as a locking lug nut.

Secondly, any group of thieves will use a large pipe-wrench or universal stud-remover to twist that "locking" lug nut right off your wheel. THEY DON'T CARE about saving the "locking" lug nut, and if they are in the business of stealing wheels they are not slowed down the least by a "locking" lug nut.

Thirdly, You and your tire-shop people will be frustrated by your "locking" lug nut every time you rebalance or rotate your tires, and

Fourth, If you've ever changed a tire on the roadside in the dark and dropped that "locking" lug-nut special socket and lost it rolling under your trailer while cars zoom by.... you'll throw them in the trash and never waste your money on it again.

The only person troubled by a "locking" lug nut will be the owner.

Besides... the people who steal "ghetto" wheels are not interested in Airstream wheels.

Hope this helps saving your time and money.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Not sure of the exact percentage, but let's say it is 50% of the thieves out there are opportunists. If you make it easy for them to steal something, they will. If it is hard, they won't.

The professionals out there can steal things no matter what protections you employ.

I say, let's make it hard for the 50% that are opportunities!
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
That is my point exactly. Thieves drive around...see the wheels they want... and TAKE THEM. "Locking" lug-nuts are absolutely NO HINDRANCE AT ALL. (except to the owner who has to deal with them.)
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Had to help a neighbour whose security lug nut wrench was missing on a fairly new car.. I used a pipe wrench to remove it on the road side. Non-the-less, keep the wrench in the trailer not the TV or at home.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
White Bear Lake , Minnesota
I had locking lug nuts on my van. I have no idea if they deterred any potential thieves but they sure did deter me. I lost the key. I used the "drive a socket on the lug" method to remove two of the locks. I had to use a cold chisel and hammer to remove two of them.

My opinion is that they are a device intended solely to frustrate the vehicle owner.
lyleapgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyleapgmc View Post
I had locking lug nuts on my van. I have no idea if they deterred any potential thieves but they sure did deter me. I lost the key. I used the "drive a socket on the lug" method to remove two of the locks. I had to use a cold chisel and hammer to remove two of them.

My opinion is that they are a device intended solely to frustrate the vehicle owner.
And then, you get the 'key' that shatters the scroll, while trying to remove a wheel. Then you go to the Toyota dealer, to get the wheel off, and purchase a set of four replacement lug nuts.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
2006 Safari Steel Wheel Spare... beware

If I lose my 'special security lug nut socket'... I doubt if a thief would be able to help me.

One added comment from experience. Our 2006 23 foot Safari with the 14" Marathon tires gave me plenty of experience in removing the standard aluminum wheel with a 'flat GYM tire'. The spare was a steel wheel with a GYM.

The lug nuts that fit the 14" aluminum wheels never had an issue. The wheel was always tight and secure to the brake drums. It was the GYM's that were unreliable. These lug nuts DID NOT FIT SECURELY to the Steel Wheel spare. You had to be very careful to get the wheel, drums and lug nuts secure and centered. Although better than a 'doughnut' spare to reduce costs in automobiles with limited space... the steel wheel spare was also... an accident waiting to happen.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 PM   #10
KI7HVV

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Corvallis , Oregon
Thumbs up

Thanks Ray, good discussion by all...I opted for the keyed lug nuts. Figured if I was parked with other units with nice wheels w/o locks...well you get the picture. I just hope that everyone stays safe and we look out for each other.
DORA-1 is offline   Reply With Quote