Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
LT Tire Warranty on Trailers?

Does anyone know whether LT tire warranties are valid when used on trailers?

When I purchased my LTXs a while back from Costco, they asked me what vehicle they would be used on. I mentioned I would be mounting them on my travel trailer. When filling out the warranty forms, they picked a random truck from the computer for the warranty page and listed mileage as 000000.

Knock on wood I won't have a tire problem over the next five years. But does anyone have the straight goods on trailer use warranty implications?
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I called Michelin and asked. They told me they would not warranty their LT tire if installed on my Airstream. Their written warranty has some verbiage about "misapplication". That's what they call it, when someone installs a LT tire on a trailer. Not sure about other brands.
Old 11-04-2014, 05:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Discount worked with me along with BFG on some BF Goodrich Commercial T/A's to get warranty on them, and of course they knew they were on a trailer. IIRC, Michelin owns BFG.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
The load rating of the LTX's and the Commercial T/A are similar. The T/A is designed as a fleet tire, where the biggest desire is long wear, and for the smarter fleet owners, fuel savings. The LTX more for ride comfort. But there shouldn't be any problem as long as you don't exceed load ratings.

Michelin is going to say no when talking to an individual, because all they are doing is losing the sale of one set of tires, which is not worth the legal cya.

A large volume dealer like Discount, they hold bigger sway. So if you want the warranty you should probably go through a big dealer.

The conversation is usually marketing and sales wants to say 'yes', legal wants to say 'no', and the Michelin engineers say 'It should be fine as long as you don't exceed loads, however, we have never tested the tire in this configuration.'
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Tomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I never thought to ask - the guys at the shop knew they were going on a trailer and that voided the roadside warranty. :-/
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:32 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I have received written confirmation from 3 insurance companies that they will not cover losses whenever there is a misapplication of equipment. My own carrier sent me this info without being asked.... but after a yearly inspection due to my agreed value policy. I removed the Lts and went with the Goodyear g26 cargos on both 34' trailers. Not worth being uncovered due to a poor tire choice!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Well that's strange. You're essentially saying that the insurance on any current 25 foot plus Airstream would be null and void; they now come with LTX Michelin tires as standard equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
I have received written confirmation from 3 insurance companies that they will not cover losses whenever there is a misapplication of equipment. My own carrier sent me this info without being asked.... but after a yearly inspection due to my agreed value policy. I removed the Lts and went with the Goodyear g26 cargos on both 34' trailers. Not worth being uncovered due to a poor tire choice!
Old 11-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
When I got my PanAmerica in 09, my Michelin dealer absolutely refused to mount tires on my trailer, a regional corporate manager came to see the situation. Official word was Michelin would not mount tires where they would be used in a mis application situation, then I got the whole voided warranty disclosure which is a part of every tire sale. I questioned the fact that the factory offered thus as an option.... He checked through the corporate structure and sure enough stressed that AS can do as they wish, include offer these tires on their products, there would certainly be no coverage through Michelin, but through only Airstream.
Not a lawyer, but sounds to me like AS holds the bag on this as they supply the tire as part of their product.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Atomic, are you talking about tire warranty here or trailer insurance?

I accept the fact that the 115,000 km tire warranty won't be honoured. No problem.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:18 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It's kind of a mmot point as ST trailer tires have no warranty to speak of.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Yeah, the problem is that there is not a large enough market for Michelin to justify the cost of the extensive (and I mean extensive) testing that they would feel safe with. Michelin is still pretty much a family owned business. The obsession with quality has always been there. The obsession with safety was probably intensified by the Firestone 500 incident. That was pretty much the demise of that company. Bridgestone, a Japanese company, bought them at a seriously bargain price, mostly for the manufacturing facilities in the US. The Firestone brand was damaged for years to come.

But it is not just fear of lawsuits. Michelin has always strived the be the best quality and safest tire. I liken Michelin to Volvo.

So, yeah, the real danger here is to Airstream in the case of an accident that was attributed to the tires. But in reality, I have vastly more confidence in the Michelins over that particular Goodyear tire, because we have multiple reports of blowouts with the Goodyears, and zero blowouts of the Michelins.

I realize this is anecdotal, and that we have to take in consideration that:

- Michelins haven't been used long enough to know the rate of failures.

- TT tires are suspect because lack of use without proper protection from UV and Ozone, that can contribute to failures from tire rot.

If you think about it, the stresses trucks put on tires greatly exceed any reasonable use on a travel trailer. Only if you are experiencing serious sway at seventy, or fishtailing at that speed, would the forces be great than anything the tire would experience on a truck.

When I place my order, it will have Michelins on it. Now if only Volvo made a half ton luxury diesel pickup.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." – Mark Twain​
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I had an LT tire failure this summer, a BFG Commercial T/A, it did over $2,000 damage to the trailer, and my insurance paid the bill no questions asked.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:

Atomic,
Which "Lts" did you have? The Michelin 16 inch "LT" (truck) tire? The Michelin 15 inch "P" (car) tire (called LTX/MS2 but not a "LT" tire)? Something else? And is the Goodyear g26 a "trailer" tire or a "truck" (LT)tire?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I had an LT tire failure this summer, a BFG Commercial T/A, it did over $2,000 damage to the trailer, and my insurance paid the bill no questions asked.
Thanks for sharing this. Can you give us more details?
Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomy View Post
Thanks for sharing this. Can you give us more details.
Take a look at the "has anyone had a LT tire fail" thread. I wrote all about it there.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:57 PM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I had the 16", same as supplied by AS now. On my Classic I have had 3 failures, all on well maintained properly inflated tires. All were on the 3rd axle, all were sidewall failures during or shortly after tight turns. The sidewall ripped or the bead failed. One tire failed just days after being replaced. The Goodyear is a cargo tire in a whole different league. Makes a lt tire look like a balloon!
Old 11-05-2014, 01:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Quote:
I had the 16", same as supplied by AS now. On my Classic I have had 3 failures, all on well maintained properly inflated tires. All were on the 3rd axle, all were sidewall failures during or shortly after tight turns. The sidewall ripped or the bead failed. One tire failed just days after being replaced. The Goodyear is a cargo tire in a whole different league. Makes a lt tire look like a balloon!
Just to be clear. Your 3 tire failures were with the Goodyear Marathons or with the Michelin 16 inch?
Old 11-05-2014, 03:50 AM   #18
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Michelin 16" LT....
Old 11-05-2014, 04:24 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
I looked at the Goodyear cargos in a 15" but the aspect ratio looked like it might drop the trailer an inch or more. Did you have that experience and if so, what do you think of ground clearance? Did you also have to make adjustments to your rig to stay level or was there no change?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:45 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Please explain why the Goodyear Cargo is any better. They are LT tires, and not even a E rating, but a D rating, so why would they be any better than the Michelin E rating LT's?

I can understand the LTX as it is actually a P Metric tire, but my 16" are LT's and so why would they be considered a "misapplication"?