Old 04-29-2015, 04:52 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
The thing about tires is, like a lot of other products we buy, we really don't know if they are great, very good, good, or generally crap until we have bought them and used them till they are used up.

All we can do is go by the recommendations of others who have used the product, and that doesn't always show the true quality of the product either as they may have used the product under different circumstances than we will.

I like to read the actual customer reviews on tires, paying attention to what kind of vehicle they use them on and how many miles they have on them, on the tirerack site. Even there you need to pay close attention because lots of people will write a review on tires having only a few thousand miles one them.

As an example, if I had written a review of the BFG's I had on my trailer at 29,000 miles +,- and 1.8 years, I would have given them a stellar review.

Generally speaking, however, and from all of the reviews I have read, the Michelins seem to be the best tire available.

Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Thank You Lahrfarm

Apology graciously accepted. I thank you very much. I apologize to you if my comments seemed sarcastic. They were not intended to be by ANY means!

Michelin is NOT the only brand acceptable to me, but it's certainly the one I woud buy first, given the choice.

Now can we sit down and have a beer together, please?
I'd like that very much.
Sea ya down the road.
Gavin

Old 04-29-2015, 05:16 PM   #101
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
I hate to repeat what has probably been posted, but I renovated my '69 23' Safari and it needs new tires. I've been through some domestic issues (ahem) and got side lined. So, what say ye, fine folks?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:12 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
If we're ever at the same place, I'll buy the beer!

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #103
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
I stand by my on the road experience about both tires. Who cares what they look like in the showroom or how noisy they are! I found both tires satisfactory and prefer the Firestones. Opinions vary. Jim
Old 04-29-2015, 07:06 PM   #104
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
I've always found it interesting how people will rave about tire A and dump on tire B. What are they basing their opinions on? Did they do some testing of their own? Get out in the rain and measure the stopping distance of each tire? Did they get a spectrum analyzer out to see if the tire is quieter or louder and at what frequencies? Did they measure sidewall flex of the two? Temperature build up?

They are based on purely anecdotal experiences such as: I didn't have a blow out using A and I did with B so I like A more than B.... Well you also didn't hit a branch in the road with A or you didn't accidentally run it under inflated/over loaded like you did with B.

The tread on A lasted 2 years longer with a than B. Well you also had tight properly lubricated bearings when you had A. You put new tires on but didn't repack the bearings. Or the shocks on the trailer are still the factory shocks. They don't last forever you know.

So many factors that people overlook.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #105
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
After reading these last posts,I don't think you guys should be drinking beer together, unless you are 850 miles part, you might start talking about religion or politics, like I said my gyms' are doing good......
Old 04-29-2015, 09:41 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
After reading these last posts,I don't think you guys should be drinking beer together, unless you are 850 miles part, you might start talking about religion or politics, like I said my gyms' are doing good......
I got bad news for you TJ, all those GYM's do good, until they don't.....

Watch for bulges in the tread area. That's what they do right before they throw the tread, tear up the trailer, and blow out.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #107
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I got bad news for you TJ, all those GYM's do good, until they don't.....
That pretty much sums up all tires of all types that have caused problems

George
Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Looks

The Firestones I looked at certainly looked the same as all the Michelins i have purchased. But, I do not know much about how a good vs. a bad tire looks.....just have to base my opinion on what a very reliable dealer tells me.

I suspect this discussion has become more of something other than about tires, unless we have someone who may have extensive experience with LT tires, as in a fleet manager, or similar.

In any case, I have some wheels coming from Ohio, and will have the tires mounted by the weekend, on the trailer in a few days. And then photos!
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #109
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I still remember what Bridgestone did when they bought Firestone in the mid 1990's. I have friends here that worked at the Goodyear plant here and in their union news letter they were asking members to boycott Bridgestone-Firestone because the first thing Bridgestone did when they bought Firestone was fire all the employees at a plant in southern US and told them they can come back to work for $8 an hour.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:10 AM   #110
2 Rivet Member

1989 35' Argosy 5th Wheel
1979 rgosy 27
Danville , Vermont
I question wheather you need to go to an LT tire for a 4800 # trailer. Others should post on this. The LT difference is in the sidewall. The Michilin (and a few other brands) difference is in the ride and tread assembly and dependability. Try to find a radial tire with load range E. That increases the layers of tire tread base, and also the weight rating. Having said that, I experienced blowouts with my 27' Argosy. But not as many as my '89 Argosy fifth wheel. I just went whole hog and will have some 15" nearly new load range E tires and wheels for sale.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:36 AM   #111
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
There's no one on this forum that I wouldn't want to have a beer with. We all have and are entitled to our opinions. These discussions aren't going to affect the problems of the world, but are a good release from them. I have breakfast with people who are totally oposite of me politically. They are my BEST friends. We have great discussions. I respect them as I respect those on the forums I may disagree with. Peace,jim
Old 04-30-2015, 07:48 AM   #112
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My experience with my big truck tires, is not to wear them completely down, I always pull them early ,I use michelin, BfG, and Bridgestone and they all seem to develop problems, with 6 super singles on the trailer, 2 will run excellent, 2 will have problems , 2 will be so-so, just the luck of the draw...