Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
I guess narrowing it by size is good for the manufacturer. I'd be an x customer to if my other size of same tire failed.

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Firestones vs, Michelins

I think someone said my dealer was selling me what he has in stock. Hard to tell as I have spent nearly $3,000 on Michelins in the past year. He said I could spend more, but the Firestone was less money and just as good.

My TV, my Subaru, and my Porsche all have Michelins. And these had to be ordered, not in stock...

The tire folks I deal with are extremely knowledgable, and have been very honest in all my dealings so far. By reputation, they do what is right, and at the same time, the pricing is better than Costco. Also, i can go into the shop and discuss alignment issues including setup which might be better for a particular type of driving. These guys even know the difference between castor, camber, and toe.....

As to betting, I am not certain how we could determine who will win. As to tire experience, my guess is I had my first set of Michelins before most of the folks here were born...on my 1958 Porsche 1600 N Coupe. Oh my goodness, this is too much...
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:49 PM   #83
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Maybe someone can help me out on this one. I'm getting ready to deal with the rim/tire situation on my Overlander and I'm pretty sure that LT is the way to go. Everyone keeps say 16" rims. Oddly mine has 14's on one side and 15's on the other. It was that way when I bought it. SMH. And I need to fix it. The question is... Why 16's? Why not 15's? More sidewall equals smoother ride. I would think that a smoother ride would be better for the long term "health" of the trailer. Less jarring over bumps. Shorter sidewall equals better handling characteristics but at the cost of ride quality. I doubt anyone is going to be doing and hard cornering though. What is the logic behind the 16's over 15's? Size availability maybe? Help me out here.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:41 AM   #84
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Tire revs of a 16" is 712 vs. 735 per mile for 15". Load rating is about 10% greater for a 16". The side wall is essentially the same on a 225/75R15 vs. 225/75R16, but the overall diameter is 1 inch taller on the 16". Tire pressure for a 16" is maximum of 80 lbs/in sq, on a 15" generally 65 lbs/in sq.

Ms Tommie Lauer
Greensboro, NC
2015 Serenity 30 RB / 2008 Dodge Cummins 4 X 4
WBCCI #4165 AIR #31871
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 05:26 AM   #85
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
Maybe someone can help me out on this one. I'm getting ready to deal with the rim/tire situation on my Overlander and I'm pretty sure that LT is the way to go. Everyone keeps say 16" rims. Oddly mine has 14's on one side and 15's on the other. It was that way when I bought it. SMH. And I need to fix it. The question is... Why 16's? Why not 15's? More sidewall equals smoother ride. I would think that a smoother ride would be better for the long term "health" of the trailer. Less jarring over bumps. Shorter sidewall equals better handling characteristics but at the cost of ride quality. I doubt anyone is going to be doing and hard cornering though. What is the logic behind the 16's over 15's? Size availability maybe? Help me out here.
First, the reason many people are going to 16" is because of load carrying capacity = bigger is better. But if your vehicle originally came with 14", 16" might be overkill.

So find your vehicle tire placard. Look on the doors or doorframe, or in a cabinet. Let us know what you find.

Also look for the certification label. It ought to list GAWR's (Gross Axle Weight Ratings)

Second, I recommend you weigh your trailer fully loaded including water tanks. Wheel by wheel if possible. If not, you need to account for side to side and front to rear variation.

Third, I recommend that tires not be loaded to more than 85% of their rated load.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
While there are slight weight advantages of 16" over 15" tires of a given size/load range, the real reason folks are going to 16" tires on Airstreams is to get better quality LT tires, as there are very few if any true LT 15" tires available.

Lots of junk ST tires in 15", but not many LT tires in 15".
Old 04-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #87
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I have a suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal283 View Post
Your trailer came with 700x15 6 ply "Truck-Type" nylon tubeless tires from the factory.

I would get four new 15x6 rims and four Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75/15XL tires.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, the reason many people are going to 16" is because of load carrying capacity = bigger is better. But if your vehicle originally came with 14", 16" might be overkill.

So find your vehicle tire placard. Look on the doors or doorframe, or in a cabinet. Let us know what you find.

Also look for the certification label. It ought to list GAWR's (Gross Axle Weight Ratings)

Second, I recommend you weigh your trailer fully loaded including water tanks. Wheel by wheel if possible. If not, you need to account for side to side and front to rear variation.

Third, I recommend that tires not be loaded to more than 85% of their rated load.
No tire placard on a 1963.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Dallas , Texas
Yes. No placard on the 1963. Lol. I have weighed the trailer before when I first bought it. It weighed 4800lbs. I have since gutted it and am renovating it. I don't know what the final weight will be though. I plan on getting two new axles when I get close to finished so I can make sure they are rated for the new weight. Plus who knows how old these are anyway.

Revs based on the rim itself is not a valid reason to choose 16". I can get a taller sidewall on a 15" and have the same total diameter as a shorter 16". They would both have the save revs/mile.

Now if it's true that I can get a higher weight rating on a 16" tire than a 15" then that makes sense. I haven't checked into that one yet. Higher weight rating even if it's not needed seems like a stronger/better made tire.

Lastly the best reason listed so far seems to be the availability of sizes in 16" vs. 15".

Thanks everyone.
Cardinal283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #89
Winemaker

2022 25' Flying Cloud
Avila Beach , California
In recently switching to 16" MLT's I wondered what I should do about the 15" spare. I came to the conclusion...rightly or wrongly that 1/2" would not be that big of issue as a temporary fix to getting to the next tire store. Anyone else of the same thinking? By the way, although limited experience, I have had no issues with the LT's.
rgwatkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:25 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
I used the 15" GYM spare for 100 miles or so when my BFG 16" Commercial T/A blew out, and without incident.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #91
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
So some say Michelins are better than Firestones even though they have never used an equivalent Firestone. I've used both and prefer the Firestones. Buy a Michelin and pay extra for the name. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My 23' 1973 avion used 225/75/15 P tires and never any problems with about 6600 lbs on the axles.......
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #93
1 Rivet Member

ooo
I had the Firestone TransForce HT's (LT235 85R 16) installed on a FW and used them 4 years with no problems. Having just recently switched to an AS I had the Michelin LTX M/S 2's (LT225 75R 16) installed (same tire used on My TV) because of my experience with ST's and the cost difference was minimal.

Terry
tblkfsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:37 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
So some say Michelins are better than Firestones even though they have never used an equivalent Firestone. I've used both and prefer the Firestones. Buy a Michelin and pay extra for the name. Jim
Well, Firestones are not better than Michelins. Some people just want the best.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #95
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Firestone vs Michelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Jim,
Please look at the treadlife warranty for the Firestones: NONE. Now look at the Michelins: 70k mile. Please don't automatically assume that I know nothing about Firestone tires. I would coordially invite you to go down to your local tire store and put the two side-by-side. If you can't visibly see & feel the difference between the two, ask your tire guy to explain the difference to you. Look closely, and you WILL see the difference. Just feel the texture of the compound. HUGE difference. I don't know if you have ever heard a set of those things rolling down the road, but you're gonna hear them when you buy them I promise. And I promise you won't be happy. The difference in sound alone is worth the $. Each to his own, but you're going to be a happy camper with the Michelins, NOT the Firestones.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
Jim,
Please look at the treadlife warranty for the Firestones: NONE. Now look at the Michelins: 70k mile. Please don't automatically assume that I know nothing about Firestone tires. I would coordially invite you to go down to your local tire store and put the two side-by-side. If you can't visibly see & feel the difference between the two, ask your tire guy to explain the difference to you. Look closely, and you WILL see the difference. Just feel the texture of the compound. HUGE difference. I don't know if you have ever heard a set of those things rolling down the road, but you're gonna hear them when you buy them I promise. And I promise you won't be happy. The difference in sound alone is worth the $. Each to his own, but you're going to be a happy camper with the Michelins, NOT the Firestones.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
How come you think only you are completely right? Someone has 16" LT's, but they are still running the wrong thing because they did'nt choose the brand you like. I know your a tire whisperer, since you can feel and see the difference, but if you were right there would only be one brand of tire. your Michelin's are great tires, so are some others. I've been happy with multiple brands, without any problems except one bad Michelin. I still like Michelin, and others.

TAC OK-5
Old 04-29-2015, 03:35 PM   #97
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahrfarm View Post
How come you think only you are completely right? Someone has 16" LT's, but they are still running the wrong thing because they did'nt choose the brand you like. I know your a tire whisperer, since you can feel and see the difference, but if you were right there would only be one brand of tire. your Michelin's are great tires, so are some others. I've been happy with multiple brands, without any problems except one bad Michelin. I still like Michelin, and others.

Never said I was completely right, did I? I must have missed where I typed that. My point was not being made to you, nor did I quote you directly. Or did I?

There's no need for you to get sarcastic about it. Not needed or wanted. I was not even replying to you. My remarks were about Firestone tires, and the comments made by avionstream. Who said ANYTHING about being wrong because they didn't choose Michelins?
Did I say that? Did I IMPLY that? I was comparing Michelin tires to Firestone.
Who said I am completely right, and what is a tire whisperer? Never heard of one of those. Please edumacate me on what a tire whisperer is.
I'm pretty offended by your statement "you think only you are completely right?"
NOTHING could be further from the truth.
Perhaps if we sat down for a conversation, I can assure you, you would never have typed that.
You too have a blessed day!
Gavin
Old 04-29-2015, 03:49 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
I apolagize since my sarcasm offended you. My post was simply that there are many good brands, Michelins being one of them. The sarcasm was because it seemed you were saying only Michelins are acceptable. If I misunderstood, I apolagize to you for that.

TAC OK-5
Old 04-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #99
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
The thing about tires is, like a lot of other products we buy, we really don't know if they are great, very good, good, or generally crap until we have bought them and used them till they are used up.

All we can do is go by the recommendations of others who have used the product, and that doesn't always show the true quality of the product either as they may have used the product under different circumstances than we will.

I like to read the actual customer reviews on tires, paying attention to what kind of vehicle they use them on and how many miles they have on them, on the tirerack site. Even there you need to pay close attention because lots of people will write a review on tires having only a few thousand miles one them.

As an example, if I had written a review of the BFG's I had on my trailer at 29,000 miles +,- and 1.8 years, I would have given them a stellar review.

Generally speaking, however, and from all of the reviews I have read, the Michelins seem to be the best tire available.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:57 PM   #100
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Thank You Lahrfarm

Apology graciously accepted. I thank you very much. I apologize to you if my comments seemed sarcastic. They were not intended to be by ANY means!

Michelin is NOT the only brand acceptable to me, but it's certainly the one I woud buy first, given the choice.

Now can we sit down and have a beer together, please?
I'd like that very much.
Sea ya down the road.
Gavin