Old 08-28-2014, 11:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
LT or ST, that is the question

I've been reading all the posts and opinions on LT tires vs ST tires, and I haven't seen suggestions for widths below 235. My Argosy is equipped with ST205/75/R15 and there is precious little room between the sidewall and wheel well. I would like to convert to LT, but I don't think that a 235 tire will safely fit. It looks like I'm stuck with ST tires - or am I? I can't believe that my Argosy is the only trailer out there that needs 205 width tires.
What was the standard tire size back in the 70s and earlier? I know at some point radials replaced bias tread tires, and I think size nomenclature changed around the same time.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Argosy's were the experimental line and not all of the decisions they made were right.

On my '74, 20' I had a helluva time getting any tire into the wheel well, especially with the original axle. The arms did not drop enough and the tires would not go in.

When I had a new axle made for it, we decreased the width by an inch or an inch and a half. That made all the difference in tire fit. I now run 16" LT tires in the 225 width with no problems at all.

I realize that you may not want a new axle now, but it may be the only real way to solve your problem. Sure solved mine.

Old 08-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by DryFly View Post
I've been reading all the posts and opinions on LT tires vs ST tires, and I haven't seen suggestions for widths below 235. My Argosy is equipped with ST205/75/R15 and there is precious little room between the sidewall and wheel well. I would like to convert to LT, but I don't think that a 235 tire will safely fit. It looks like I'm stuck with ST tires - or am I? I can't believe that my Argosy is the only trailer out there that needs 205 width tires.
What was the standard tire size back in the 70s and earlier? I know at some point radials replaced bias tread tires, and I think size nomenclature changed around the same time.
Check these out. They are heavy duty and look good on older trailers.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rtnum=700R5215
Old 08-29-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2012 19' Flying Cloud
Bricktown , New Jersey
My trailer is an enclosed Homesteader 6x12 single axle used for toy hauling & utility purposes. I needed new tires this season after 6 years. Instead of replacing with OEM 205/75/15 Carlisle Sport Trails, I purchased LT 215/75/15 Yokohama Geolander's load range C. Light truck tires can handle BOTH heavy loads and speeds above 65mph. Trailer tires are only meant to carry heavy loads and recommend you not exceed 65mph while driving. And since my van already has Yokohama tires, I thought it would be good to have matching tread patterns on both my truck and trailer.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
DryFly, from the photo in your avatar, it looks like you have custom alloy or chrome wheels on your Argosy. Are they "zero offset"? If not, this may be the reason the clearance is so tight in your wheelwells.

I am unfamiliar with Argosy models, but here are the wheel specs for 16-inch wheels that fit most Airstreams. This is the wheel size most people use when switching from 15-inch ST tires to 16-inch LT tires.

Just guessing, but I would think the wheels currently on your Argosy would be the same, except the wheel size is probably 15x6, instead of 16x6. Also, the load rating might be lower.

Wheel size: 16x6
Bolt Circle: 6x139.7 (same as 6x5.5)
Offset: 0 (zero)
Center Bore: 4.25
Load Rating: 3,200

Hopefully, a member who has an Argosy will let us know if my guess is correct or not.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The Argosy wheels and tires are the same as the Airstream's of the era. Well, except for the Minuete series. So the specs given by Phoenix are correct.

As mentioned in my other post though, my '74 Argosy wheels were so close to the outside wheel well that when I had a new axle put in, it was specified slightly shorter in length so now the wheels are centered in the wheel well. On the original setup, they were not. The new setup is much better.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
DryFly, from the photo in your avatar, it looks like you have custom alloy or chrome wheels on your Argosy. Are they "zero offset"? If not, this may be the reason the clearance is so tight in your wheelwells.
Great observation. That's interesting, I had the same thought as I was driving/thinking earlier today. I think I'll take it to a local tire dealer and have it checked out. I like the wheels, but they may be limiting my options.

Idroba, I wish I had had the knowledge I have now about axles and such (much of it learned from your posts - thank you). I would have questioned the set up, as you did, and modified the width. I think you did exactly the right thing. As it is though, I had my axle replaced with basically a new version of the original set up, I only modified it by slightly increasing the weight rating. Oh well, if that's the last mistake I ever make I'll die a legend.