Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2002, 01:53 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Thumbs down Low Tire Detector

I stopped by Camping World today with the intention of buying a set of the low tire detector they were pushing by mailouts a couple of months ago.

They have withdrawn the detectors permanently from stock. That location installed about 3 sets of them and every one of them had repeated false alarms. They had to remove the sensors and issue refunds.

I guess I ducked a bullet by not getting them installed earlier.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 03:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Tire detector

I dont think 3 failures is much of a trend to warrant removing them from the shelf, the system they advertise in the catalog is made by Roadmaster they make alot of stuff for towing. I would verify through other sources about their product or even call them and ask about the CW failure/returns see what their side of the story is. It could have been caused by faulty installation by CW. And there are other systems out there such as Tele-tector in the Blue beret. I plan on getting one but thats down the road (with no flats I hope) .

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2002, 04:25 PM   #3
Contributing Member

Detector

I doubt that the local CW pulled it unilaterally; it isn't listed in any of the CW catalogs anymore. I just checked their website and their 800 number and it isn't there either. Those are national in scope.

The local CW had 100% failures, but, IMHO, they wouldn't have pulled it if other outlets were successful with it. Installation is simply putting a self-adhesive sensor inside the tire and mounting the receivers nearby.

The Teletector apparently doesn't work on my International though I will call them and verify that.

I had destructive blowouts over the years with my last 2 trailers and I really would like the sensors.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-11-2002, 06:33 PM   #4
Contributing Member

Roadmaster

Interesting that even Roadmaster doesn't have them on their website. I have a strange feeling that they didn't work out.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-11-2002, 08:28 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1983 27' Excella
Airstreamville , Kansas
Roadmaster brochure

A few months ago I received literature from them and the tire brochure was in it, but I did'nt save it.

John
83Excella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:59 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Hillsboro , Texas
teletector failures

i just got back from a caravan and we had many flats. almost everybody had various types of detectors. none of the detectores gave positive readings that helped. i think the technology needs to ketch up with the demand. i will wait a bit befor buying one.

don
dongubrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
i've wondered if a wireless microphone would be a better addition. if you could hear the tire flapping, it would be helpful. i suppose a vibration sensor would work too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
I wonder if a "flat tire detector" would be the same item as a "tire pressure monitor"?
If so, there have been a few posts on this subject. Do a search and see what turns up. There have been some positive reviews .
regards
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:49 PM   #9
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Here's a negative review on tire pressure monitors. They are on my Toyota 4Runner. The dealer's service dept. hates them because they give a lot of false readings (one problem the 4R is they also read the spare and I can't keep extra pressure in it because warning light goes on) and when tires are changed they are easily damaged. My warning light has been on 2 months—we are used to it by now. I do check the 4 tires regularly, but the spare is a pain to check. They read rotations I was told so as the tires wears would readings get even stranger? I don't see how a reasonably priced system could be installed on the trailer and send readings to the TV. I think Ricky has the right idea—a mike to hear the flapping.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
This thread is scaring me. I am about ready to order the Pressure Pro system of tire monitoring. A number of folks on our caravan this summer had them and seemed to be quite positive on their day to day operation plus ability to alarm on pressure drops over 5-8 lbs.
Only problem noted was potential vandalism or theft and cost to replace batteries every 3-5 years.

Are your detectors a completely different system?
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
I just listened to a guy talk about his Saturn Aura with tire monitors. He wasn't very happy either because of lots of false alarms.

Dwight
16595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:54 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We have the OEM tire pressure monitor on our Ridgeline and after 40k mi. it works fine with no false alarms. The only time it gave an indication was when I got a nail in a tire. Great safety system.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:25 PM   #13
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I just came back from Europe and drove a high end Peugot. It had tire pressure monitors on it and the system was alwasy saying the rf tire was low. I manually checked it several times in the 12 days I was there. tires were good. Some times the LF would show low. Other times no warning as in all was good.

Neat idea. And the teckys need to find a better design. Cause this French design doesn't work.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 11-17-2007, 03:33 PM   #14
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I went to the root of the problem, the crappie 15" ST tires!

Switched out to the 16" steel rims/metal valves (0 off set) and Michelin load range (D) LTX tires. They fit like a glove.

I've run the (E) range on my TV for 70,000, without a hitch. No more checking the sideview for black bits.

Thank you David and HowiE

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 03:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Hey Guys,

A Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) is a very good thing if you buy the right system. A lot of people like the Pressure Pro, but they do have limitations. I used to sell them, but I have since found a superior system that I'm beta testing at the moment. It was designefor the heavy trucking industry and is really built to last!

When I'm confident that the system works as designed (so far....so good ), I'll post on the results.

This system not only give you a signal when your tire hits a pre-set percentage drop in tire pressure, it also tells you if the pressure has increased beyond a set threshold, will notify you of a slow leak and the real deal maker........gives you a temperature reading also.

The sensors are made of brass and DuPont Zytel nylon and have a brass valve extending from the sensor so you can fill the tire with air without removing the sensor. PLUS.............they have an 8-10 year battery life!!!

So far...........I like them a LOT!

Stay tuned.......................................
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
wingfoot321

Use a little logic here.
If the pressure is 0 psi the tire is flat.
So;
It follows that if the tire pressure drops below the pressure you want in it is partially flat.
When the pressure drops below what is required to support the weight on the tire, the tire's sidewalls flex more causing heat. This heat build up will lead to the disintegration of the tire.
Conversly, if the tire was at 65PSI when you checked the pressure in the morning and now it is 58 lbs and the alarm is going off then something has occured (you have hit something on the road, the rubber valve stems are giving up, the belts have seperated and ruptured the air bladder of the tubeless tire etc.) to cause the air to start venting.
I have the Pressure Pro.
I don't sell them or have interest in the company.
I chose them because they are easy to install (remove the valve stem cap and replace it with the sensor/transmitter, about the size of a walnut.
If the tire has to be serviced (nail screw etc) then remove the sensor and put it in your pocket. The tire changer then has no chance of damaging the sensor in the process of removing/installing a tire on the rim, unless he whacks you in the pocket with a tire tool where you have the sensor (levity) and by the way, given the ruggedness of the Pressure Pro Sensors your leg would probally be broken.
Have they saved me from damage from a tire failing, yes.
I stood there in the sholder of I 64 and watched the offending tire continue to go flat. It did not disintegrate or flail the trailer all though the steel belt was hanging out between the tread bars.
You generally cannot tell when a tire is flat on a twin axle trailer and flailing the trailer unless you catch the pieces flying away in the rear view mirror or a passing motorist gives you some weird hand signals as he passes you as he tries to get out of the debree pattern.
Given the cost of the Pressure Pro for a twin axle trailer and the cost of replacing a side pannes on the trailer, the Pressure pro is cheap.
My two cents worth.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
As a dealer selling cars and trucks with tire pressure monitoring systems, I'll say this: Untill they come up with a better system that gives the driver more info as to what is actuallly going on, they are nothing but an aggrevation.

If your neighbor or someone in the parking lot at the grocery store would happen to say, "hey buddy, it looks like you're gettin a low tire," you'd say, "thanks man" and then go put some air in it. But the second or third time the tire pressure monitoring system light on the dash illuminates, you are at the (my) service desk saying, "that damn light's on again." It becomes a re-ocurring problem with the car.

There are different things that could cause this TPMS light to illuminate. The tire has a leaked and the pressure has either dropped below a certain theshold or is significantly different than the other tires. The ambient temp has caused the tire pressure to drop. The sensor is bad. The tire, if leaking, may or may not have a leak that is apparent enough to find. The seal around the bead may be leaking, but not all the time, the valve may leak, either around the valve to rim seal or through the valve. Maybe only at certain temperatures or pressures. The rim/wheel may be pourous. Anyway you do your best to find a leak and repair it and a few weeks later the light is on again. Is it the same tire? Is it the same leak? It's the same damn light and that is all the customer knows.

Some systems will indicate which tire is low. Some will show readings on the individual tires and the actual psi for each. Some will only tell you there is a low tire somewhere and you have do determine which one. It's a help to know that there is problem or a differntial in pressures. But, these systems only affirm the fact that we need to check our tire pressures often and maintain them at the proper levels. Tires will always leak or at least pressures will fluctuate for various reason. Unfortunately these systems are accused of being faulty or inaccurate when in reality they are only doing what the guy in the grocery store parking lot was doing and getting thanked for.

I know that this thread was aimed more at trailer tire monitoring systems, but the short comings are the same as with the systems on our vehicles. So, my opinion is that until they give more specific info, these devices should not be relied on too much and we should continue to check our tires frequently the old fashion way.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Tpms

Sorry
But the Pressure Pro indicates which tire is low on pressure and alarms on a 12? pressure drop (I think is a 12? drop).
You can also check the pressure of all four tires whild going down the road and know which tire you are looking at.
Its a simple system.
It was bound to be improved upon sooner or later (temperature).
All alarms I have had with it (two to be exact) were accurate.
In short, its never lied to me.

Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Beginner,

Thanks for the reply. You are confirming what I was hearing from the folks on the caravan this summer. They were using Pressure Pro and it had saved damage to at least one of the group.

My tires lost about 7 lbs of air this summer in 3 months. I run nowhere near my max weight & with bad roads,cool weather, & slow speeds, I just allowed them to slip down. I was unable to find a good location to air up due to no air locations, poor access with a trailer, plus whatever. It was very frustrating to the point that I researched and bought an air pump/tank as soon as I got home.

I plan to start at 65psi cold with the low pt detector set at 58-60psi. This means the tires from 65psi cold probably elevate to approx. 67psi warm and then would lose 8-10 lbs before the alarm would sound.

I am of the opinion that most tire failures are due to road hazards, nails, etc. and that a pressure drop should be the first indicator and hopefully before a temperature rise due to sidewall flex which leads to belt & or tread separations.

Thanks for the info.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
This is a good thread, thanks for starting it. Here's a couple more thoughts

I don't 'check' my tire pressures - I 'adjust' them. On my cars every two to four weeks, and on my Airstream every time before I move it (if it has been parked overnight or longer), or every stop while on the road.

After a while, I seem to 'learn' how the different vehicles/tires perform, in terms of pressure changes, so it is easier to detect a change that is out of normal. So when I check the tires (when cold) I put the pressures right to the level I want, making it easier to detect any significant change. Last week, for the first time in the last 10 years this obsessive behavior paid off - a tire on my wife's car read out of normal - was down to 24 when two weeks before I know it was at 32 - so I knew something was wrong. Sure enough, a screw in the tread and a slow leak. I never let a change of more than 3 or 4 PSI go uninvestigated, and I adjust the pressure if it isn't exactly where it is supposed to be (when cold).

I also carry an infra red temp sensor in the truck, and check tire temps at every stop when towing. Anything out of 'normal' performance, based on years of checking and paying attention - deserves further investigation.

I am excited about the prospect of being able to do this in near 'real time' while driving down the road, and would like to add some kind of monitoring system to the Airstream before next season. I expect technology will improve over time - it seems like more and more cars & trucks are getting these kinds of systems. In general, that has to be a good thing.
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote