Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Looking for used tires

We are very, very broke Nd our tires in in bad shape. Does anyone have any used ones to sell? We have a1989 excella.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
For my first temporary set I figured out what size I needed and the weight rating, then found the LT rated tires I needed on craigslist.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Also ask at local tire dealers. There are some times "take offs" (tires new or somewhat used the vehicle owner is replacing due to tire/wheel size changes). Best to do this in person, IMO. I met a courier recently who bought these constantly for his truck.

"Used Tire Dealers" are a mixed bag. I've bought from them before, but one winds up with tires that really aren't much good except for short trips around town. Be sure to inspect them before installation. Read up online for how to visually identify bad tires. Some problems won't show -- "belt shift" (roll test) -- but many/most problems will be obvious.

Tires more than seven years old should be avoided, IMO.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Tampa , Florida
Used tires

I've got 4 used Goodyear Marathons, two with about 6000 miles on them and two that have less than 400 miles on them. They are at my warehouse in Tampa. I'd be willing to sell them for $150.00 for the set if you're interested. I would advise you to seriously investigate all ST tires before you make up your mind regarding using any brand of ST tires. I had 2 failures on Goodyear Marathons that had about 5000 miles on them. I was religious about maintaining proper air pressure and still had the failures. This is just my experience and I would recommend you look into tire issues here on the forums. Good luck.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
For what it is going to cost to buy, ship, tires you could almost pay for new ones. Look at walmart for a Light Truck tire, you should be able to get a new set for around $100.00.
But if you must put on used go to a regular tire dealer and speak with the manager, many times they can watch for a decent set coming off a vehicle and get them to you instead of a used tire place which is what they do with all their tires sell them to used tire places. I know this works because I bought a used set of 4 about 3 years ago for 20 a piece and they put them on and balanced them for free, the tires only had 8000 miles on them and was only a year old and in almost new condition, I used them on the trailer I had for the last 3 years and never had a bit of propblems and they still looked new when I sold the trailer.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
We are very, very broke Nd our tires in in bad shape. Does anyone have any used ones to sell? We have a1989 excella.
------------------------------------------------------------------
I have plans on changing out the 7 on my 34 footer in the spring, if you still need tires you can have them all you have to do is figure out how to get them. Get back with me around Feb/March 2012.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 10-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #7

2012 20' Flying Cloud
2011 Interstate Coach
Rock Springs , Wyoming
Quote:
I would not recommend used tires. Trailer tires and RV tires fail not because the tread is deteriorated, but because of age in most cases. Sitting, exposure to sun, and under inflation are why I wouldn't put any faith in used tires. I realize that times are tough, but don't put yourself and/or other travelers at risk. From my experience, you don't need name brand tires. There are numerous brands available that are great...just make sure to inflate them properly. I have used Duro trailer tires, Carlisle, Titan and Deli brands in the past, and they all seemed to wear about the same. Bought my last set of Trailer Tires at boattrailertires.com. Sorry for the website plug, but I've complained on here before about other vendors when a complaint is warranted, so I wanted to give credit where credit is due for great service.

If after reading my post you think I'm crazy, search google for trailer tire or RV tire failure and read some of the stories about used tire failure due to bad tires!
smith123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Check the phone book for used tires and call some of them and see what they have. I just put 235/75-15XL truck tires on mine. They are rated at over 2000lbs a piece. Might give you more options than trailer tires but you will need a set of 4 so they are all the same diameter.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Wow! Thank you sooo much for all the great advice, and especially thanks for the offer, Sarge! I wish we coukd wait until spring, but I think we are on borrowed time, as we just realized from the date code tgat our tires are over nine years old! They have a lot of checking and cracking, too. I don't feel safe pulling it again until we get new tires, or at least newer ones.... I am going to keep looking hard, and at truck tires also. You all are wonderful!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Best Tires

Quote:
Wow! Thank you sooo much for all the great advice, and especially thanks for the offer, Sarge! I wish we coukd wait until spring, but I think we are on borrowed time, as we just realized from the date code tgat our tires are over nine years old! They have a lot of checking and cracking, too. I don't feel safe pulling it again until we get new tires, or at least newer ones.... I am going to keep looking hard, and at truck tires also. You all are wonderful!
Not a problem, if I had the money now I would change them now as there are many sales going on and would save me money, but with Christmas right around the corner and raising grandkids + 1 grown living at home finances are a little tight right now which is the other reason we are not out on the road right now.
When you do get in a position to get new tires I would strongly suggest that you look at the much forgotten General Tire, they have been making tires since tires was needed and that is what they do best Truck, Trailer tires. When I replace mine it will be with Generals as I have used them for years and have never found any tire that can give me the dependability that General tire does. Believe me I have used most all of them at one time or another both in work (22 years over the road truck driver/owner) as well as personal.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 10-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The problem with used trailer tires is they can look good but have lost structural integrity. Look for the age of used tires by the date stamp on the tire. If you are buying a used tire I would not get anything more than a couple of years old. The same applies to "new" tires check the date stamp to make sure they are not last years tires that have been sitting on some shelf.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
1986 32.5' Airstream 325
Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero
I have 4 I'm trying to decide what to do. I got my camper from great falls michigan . And got new ones. I have the ones be said were good and only one year old. But that was so far to chas s.c. had to go new.