Old 03-29-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Leawood , Kansas
Looking for storage information - tire issues?

I am presently looking to buy my first travel trailer, and have settled on an Airstream. I am currently in the "gathering information and education" phase, not quite ready to take the plunge but getting closer. One problem that might come up is; where to park the trailer when not in use. Because of suburb regulations I won't be able to park it at my home. However, here in Kansas City we have caves that have been developed into an underground city, for manufacturing, offices, storage, including RV and boat, etc.. My first thought was to rent a space in one of the caves, giving me protected storage that stays at 59 degrees year round. I could rent a spot for $100 a month, which i think is reasonable. However, I have a RV owning friend who advised me not to store the trailer in a cave, something about being bad on the tires. Unfortunately, he is in Florida for the winter and I wasn't able to get him to explain his opinion. Does anyone on this forum have any thoughts on the storage of RV's in a cave. I'm including a link to one of the storage caves.

RV, Boat and Vehicle Storage ... SubTropolis Storage | Photos ... The KC area's newest, most convenient, secure underground storage facility!

Old 03-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Welcome to the forums. The only reason I would think it would be bad for the tires is if the floor is concrete. If that's the case, you can use one plastic leveling block under each tire to keep the tires off the concrete.

Old 03-29-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Depending on your duration of Storage. The weak link in an Airstream when it come to storage is the axles. When the axles are left in one position for a prolonged period of time the rubber rods in them takes a set in the loaded position. If you intend to store for more than 6 months at a time I would consider jacking the trailer up by the frame at the axles to remove the weight from the tires and the axles.

As for the concrete doesn't look like those storing other rigs in the caves are worried about the tires on it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Leawood , Kansas
thanks, I feel the same way about the other owners not being worried about the caves. They have been in use for so long I would think that if there's a problem the word would be out by now.
As for length of storage, I hope the trailer is used enough that the axles won't be an issue. I plan on using the trailer for many fishing trips in the future.
My friend is returning from Florida soon, I'll find out what he's talking about when he gets back.
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Because of the temps, lack of light and moisture you would be setting your trailer up for some mold in everything.
I had a friend that left his in a cave in PA that is used to store stuff and he had a major problem after 2 years.
The place, in the cave, in PA had a seperate area that had a high cost climate control section but most people with RV's and such just use the regular part of the caves.
They told him just to put a bag of charcoal in the unit to control the musty smell that happens with storing in the caves but they did not warn him about the mold.
Just beware. It's not always as good as it sounds.
The place I'm talking about also charges you extra everytime you need to see it or move it out.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Louisville , Kentucky
We just retrieved our DWR from underground cave storage here in Louisville. This was her first winter in storage underground. Our set up was climate and moisture controlled for 68.00 / month. When we picked her up she was in mint condition. I highly recommend this option for winter storage. The convenience of not winterizing was a big plus for us. We will use this same situation next winter. No odors, no mold, not even any dust! By the way we stored from November to March.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Mold should not be a problem if you leave the vents and a couple of windows cracked. Mold forms when trapped moisture is subject to temperature increases. Let it breath.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I guess the main thing is make sure it is in the "climate controlled area".
Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Leawood , Kansas
Thanks, mold and mildew are problems I hadn't though about. I did check and the facility is climate controlled at 65-70 degrees. They do have unlimited in and out, which is important because I will need to keep the trailer stored year round, except when in use.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Fly, Certainly you must have outdoor covered RV storage facilities much like we did in Texas. Covered storage there cost me less than a C-Note and protected me from the hail. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Leawood , Kansas
I'm looking at the luxury of not having to winterize the trailer. Of course, the covered outdoor facility is always an option.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Fly, Now that would be a luxury. A friend in Richmond,VA stores his at the state fair grounds in one of the show barns. Apparently it's service offered to RVers and others for a very modest fee. I don't know how close you might be to something like that but it might be worth a try. Up in your neck of the woods even the barns might get a tad bit cool though. I've got my Winterizing efforts down to less than thirty minutes since I installed the sipon valve in my plumbing line. I can use a little less than a gallon of antifreeze and have the lines pumped full very quickly. It probably takes me as long to drain the water heater. Good luck with it and let's get out and wet our fly lines. It's getting close to that time here in the hills of SW VA.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Leawood , Kansas
Zoom, thanks for the info.. As I mentioned above, I am in the learning phase now and any help I get from veteran Airstreamers is appreciated. I have found another underground facility this morning that offers 2 months free if 1 year is prepaid. At $99 a month, the 2 months free would bring the average monthly cost down to $82.50, much better than $99 a month. Since my town has restrictions on RV's in the driveway a storage facility is a year round requirement. It's amazing how much I have learned in the last 2 weeks on this forum.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Leawood , Kansas
Zoom, do you ever fish Moss Creek?