Old 08-25-2016, 09:00 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Aptos , California
Lookiing for an approximate trailer tire life

Can't find the info at the manufacturer's site. We have Gladiator st22575r15 tires on a 30' 1993 AS put on about a year ago. We are at about 25K miles on these. Tread looks fine. How do I find the recommended life/mileage expectancy of these tires? Thanks.

Old 08-25-2016, 09:17 PM   #2
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
They have a two year warranty.

GLADIATOR ST LIMITED WARRANTY

American Pacific Industries, Inc. (API) hereby warrants that every new Gladiator ST Trailer Tire purchased from API bearing the brand name Gladiator to be free from conditions of workmanship and material that would cause the tire to become unserviceable for the life of the original tread less 2/32”. The life of the original usable tread ends when the tire tread has worn down to 2/32” remaining, at which point the tire is considered to be fully worn out. This warranty applies only to the original purchaser for a period of two (2) years from the date of manufacture. API’s liability under this warranty shall be limited to replacement and/ or credit for the cost of the tire.

http://apitire.com/wp-content/upload...eaflet_Web.pdf

2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #3
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Just an FYI:

Most tire wear occurs in the cornering mode. Make a lot of turns and you wear the tire more quickly. This applies to motorized vehicles (cars and trucks) as well as trailers.

What this means is that tire wear can vary greatly depending on what route you take - and not the vehicle or the tire brand. I did some testing and got a range of less than 10K to over 100K miles from the same make and model of tires - and the major difference was how much cornering took place.

Since trailers - especially travel trailers - don't do much cornering, their tires hardly wear at all. They will much more likely need to be replaced based on time rather than miles. Some have said 5 years for trailer tires.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Wolf View Post
Can't find the info at the manufacturer's site. We have Gladiator st22575r15 tires on a 30' 1993 AS put on about a year ago. We are at about 25K miles on these. Tread looks fine. How do I find the recommended life/mileage expectancy of these tires? Thanks.
You should look on the sidewalls and find the DOT-required date of manufacture on each tire. That will guide your decision. Anything older than 3 years, I would consider replacing before any major road trip. Older than 5 years I would replace ASAP, as CapriRacer suggested.

Date of Mfg. info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...160811155954:s

Good luck!

Peter
Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
I just replaced mine on our 30' Excella. They look fine, no sidewall cracks, etc. The reason for this change was to go with 16" Syndell wheels and Michelin LTX tires. FYI, the Maxxix tires and Alcoa wheels are for sale. Just a note, our AS is ALWAYS covered and we have and use tire covers to avoid sun deterioration.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
3-4 years is all I've gotten from ST tires- the reason I will not be getting any more of those-
I might do 10,000 miles per year average, so 30,000-40,000 miles on a set of ST tires-
Sometimes they look perfect one weekend and then the next weekend- POOF!
Sometimes they give you a warning by the tread rounding out rather than being flat across the tread surface. If you ever see the tread rounded, go ahead and put the spare on and get new tires.
Even if you stay with ST tires, upgrade to 8 or 10 ply Load Range E.
That in itself will help them to last longer without separating.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Wolf View Post
There is a great article in the current issue of Airstream Life Magazine about Maxxis tires with a lot of very good general info on trailer tires in general.

I once ran a set of GoodYear Marathon's (made in Canada) for 13 years with no problems. I am currently running 2 year old GYM's (made in China) which now have about 3,000 miles and they are performing as well as the older set so far. In general, it is recommended to change tires when they have reached 5 to 7 years of age from the date of manufacture or when down to a minimum (I think) 1/16th tread depth, whichever comes first. On our tandem axle trailer with a loaded weight of around 5,200 lbs there was little tread wear after 13 years and approximately 10 or 15,000 miles. I keep them covered when stored for more than a few weeks and sprayed monthly with Armor All Tire Foam.
Old 08-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
Old Sailor

1983 34' Excella
Victoria , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
You should look on the sidewalls and find the DOT-required date of manufacture on each tire. That will guide your decision. Anything older than 3 years, I would consider replacing before any major road trip. Older than 5 years I would replace ASAP, as CapriRacer suggested.

Date of Mfg. info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...160811155954:s

Good luck!

Peter
Thanks for the link. My Excella has been parked since I bought it two years ago while I finished the interior that the PO started. I towed it from Kentucky where I bought it back to Texas and have been intending to buy new tires before towing it anywhere. According to the link you provided, the week and year code on my tires are 353 which I understand means the 35th week of 1993. Scary, huh?

These tires would fool someone that knows nothing about tires. I knew they were old because they are 7.00X16's, bias ply, and look good with good tread and no sidewall cracks. Mounted on the original aluminum wheels.

"Mollie Bug" The Boston Terrier
WBCCI #4456 - Born to Cruise
McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote