Old 02-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I can't even see where the jack hit the axel. It may have just been a goof and he hit the button on an automatic jack too soon. I don't think the tank inside is damaged. It will probably be more headache to fix the damage than leave it alone. If you can get some compensation from it, I would take that and leave it be. Chances are whoever is fixing the damage will screw up two or three more things up in the process of fixing this.

Perry

Old 02-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
jack points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Just curious and not meant as a criticism; I'm a big fan of "whatever works." But if you were camping, and discovered one of your tires going flat, would you hitch up long enough to pull your trailer onto your tire changing ramp, or jack up the trailer in place? Which option would be least troublesome?
As I stated in previous post I will not jack up A.M P.M or ? never will. Only takes a minute or so to hook up does not have be full hook up. Why be lazy? And take chance of causing damage to trailer, Also I'm 80 yrs. old & still active racing motocycles on ice & dirt ttracks sprint cars, pilot lic. etc. Also I toured Joliet Speed way last yr at 170+ mph last yr. intend to do so this yr. When I'm flying as pilot in command over 200 mph is normal. Some people will not bel. me but my annual check up today bp was 108 over 54. not phys. fitness buff. Nuf said. Bill

Old 02-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Hopefully this is only cosmetic. If you can get if fixed at an AS facility or by yourself, great. If not visible, take the money and run. Insurance coverage? Jim
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
There is a styrofoam pad in there that protects the tank. The most I would do is drop the pan to see if there is metal rubbing the tank that might produce a hole. Your trailer is new so dropping the pan is easy since the screws are probably not frozen yet.

Perry
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile jack points

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
As I stated in previous post I will not jack up A.M P.M or ? never will. Only takes a minute or so to hook up does not have be full hook up. Why be lazy? And take chance of causing damage to trailer, Also I'm 80 yrs. old & still active racing motocycles on ice & dirt ttracks sprint cars, pilot lic. etc. Also I toured Joliet Speed way last yr at 170+ mph last yr. intend to do so this yr. When I'm flying as pilot in command over 200 mph is normal. Some people will not bel. me but my annual check up today bp was 108 over 54. not phys. fitness buff. Nuf said. Bill
Idid not mean to flaunt my doings but I take wheels off then take torepair or new, just not lazy & have some else do this. Bill
Old 02-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #34
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Bill,

Sometimes more than one way to skin the cat. I used the ramp one time so far on the road investigating a brake issue. Helps knowing multiple techniques, correctly hopefully. And for those with a single axle, you have to know how to raise the trailer with a jack.

I've raised mine more times than I wanted to, my tool of choice is the service jack from a 1 Ton Pick Up. I can get both tires in the air. It has to be strong enough to lift a rear tire on the 1 Ton with a heavy load in the bed. Large base, fits between the wheels, lifts on the frame flange and as it is screw drive, doesn't have the chance to lower by itself, has to be turned to lower.

I've also used it to raise one side a bit to level before stabilizing.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:15 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Idid not mean to flaunt my doings but I take wheels off then take torepair or new, just not lazy & have some else do this. Bill
I think you mean if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I took my wife's Expedition in a few years ago for a tire rotation and balance. When they finished I paid my bill and headed out to the vehicle. I always do a walkaround and inspect the vehicle after I've had work done. While doing so, I noticed several people from the shop walking towards me. One of them pointed out damage to the back end and said they would take care of it. I had not noticed it yet. The worker stated he was backing it out and back it into a school bus. I mentioned it has a back-up warning system and he said he heard the noise get louder and louder but failed to relate the beeping to a problem. It was a young kid who had just started. The shop paid the $1,000+ repairs. I think if I had not been walking around it they might would have let it slip.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile Jack Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I think you mean if you want it done right you have to do it yourself.
You are correct as to my meaning, [do it yourself].
Bill
Old 02-25-2014, 02:48 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi Everyone,
Well, Discount tires was very nice. Their Claims department in Arizona is going to send a check for the repairs...
Thank you all!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:51 PM   #39
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Congrats on the positive outcome. Hopefully they might incorporate the oops into a opportunity for improvement message for their team.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
With our last tire replacement ( Michelin recall) I used a local tire shop and was on my hands and knees with the tech pointing to the exact locations for the jacks! I didn't take any chances.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:54 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
It really doesn't look too bad, but I'd want to see what's behind the sheet metal pan to make sure everything's ok. You could probably straighten out that aluminum.

Firestone dealer lifted my Ford E150 by the sheet metal, missing the frame and pushing up the step behind each front door. That's a tire dealer, lifting a vehicle they've probably lifted thousands of. Of course, I was having new tires installed for a trip the next day. They fixed it at their cost, though.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegangirl57 View Post
Hi Everyone,

Here are a few more photos. We checked the axle tubes and can find no visible damage. Please note that both axle tubes have a saddle in the center that is a factory design.

Thank you all for your kind words and advice.
I can understand the sickening feeling.

I do have to say, that middle pic of the damage doesn't look awful and I don't know that it would have damaged the tank but obviously you want to check that to be sure.

I had tires installed at Town Fare Tire and they jacked up at the right point for the first one but we ended up using ramps for the other 3. They had no problem with me hanging around and explaining where it should / shouldn't be jacked up.

Sorry you had this experience. Get it checked but hopefully it's just an ugly cosmetic crush and nothing more serious.

Good luck!!