Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile Jack points

I have owned A.S since 1962 and have never jacked mine up only use boards as ramps. I did jack new axles in place last yr.only on mounting plates not on axle tubes that this only proper place to lift them in place. I will never let any one jack on any of my trailers including imp. utility etc........................ Bill

Old 02-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi Everyone,

How would I know if they bent the axle tube?

Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #17
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I think you'll get additional answers, tube is bent from the factory etc. But how about something basic. Look carefully at the axle(s) for marks left from what looks like in your photo as a saddle from a common floor jack.

That saddle hits the paint and leaves a mark in the paint.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegangirl57 View Post
Hi Everyone,

How would I know if they bent the axle tube?
Express your concern regarding a potential bent axle to the A/S service folks when you have this meeting. Make it clear in your conversation to both the A/S folks as well as the tire store manager that you completely understand the mechanical possibilities of the axle tube being bent from having been lifted that way. Point it out in the owner manual, or the manual from Dexter or whoever made the axles. Make it clear that if it turns out an axle is bent, resulting in abnomal tire wear, that you want to be made right by the tire store. Get it in writing, over their signature. In other words, document it, because later on, if it ain't documented..... it didn't happen.

EDIT: worst case scenario is at some point you will have to either pay for the axles to be re-aligned, or axles replaced. All in all, in the end of the whole ownership story of a trailer, that really is not all that many dollars.
One thing we know for sure, you won't let this happen again at the next shop.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
1 , Washington
For anyone reading this (like me) who has not jacked their airstream up before, check out this additional link RV Tips It explains where exactly to place it.

I just checked mine, and it is CLEARLY labeled where to place the Jack. I'm surprised discount tire screwed that up. I hope they fix it.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by T1NCAN View Post
For anyone reading this (like me) who has not jacked their airstream up before, check out this additional link RV Tips It explains where exactly to place it.

I just checked mine, and it is CLEARLY labeled where to place the Jack. I'm surprised discount tire screwed that up. I hope they fix it.
There is one piece of odd advice in the link:
Quote:
Also, if you are using the type of floor jack shown on this Tip page below, make sure that once you get it up in the air, put a jack stand in place so that it is more secure. If that hydraulic cylinder were to blow out, the trailer could fall causing injury.
That's actually good advice, but is the jacking point large enough to put a jack stand alongside the jack and have BOTH of them on the jacking point until you can let the jack down? I doubt it. That means that either your jack or your jack stand will have to miss the jacking point.

I still like the reflective tape idea. If you ever have to jack it up in early morning or late evening, or in a poorly-lit garage, reflective tape shows up by flashlight or work light much better than a diamond-shaped metal piece that's the same color as the surrounding metal. Yeah, I know that a proper garage is always well lit, but not very often do you see light fixtures near floor level to illuminate under a vehicle or trailer.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:20 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Jacking is an operation that I'll never leave to any tire shop unless I watch. The jack points on my FC23FB are completely illogical, and although marked, are hidden behind sheet metal. I'd expect any tire tech to go for the axles. At a Les Schwab in WA I had to insist that the tech use the designated jacking points, and he was bothered that I watched over his shoulder the entire time.
I now avoid jacking by using a Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp. It works beautifully, I used it to mount my upgrade 15" wheels and Michelin LT's.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:29 PM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
I now avoid jacking by using a Trailer Aid Tandem Tire Changing Ramp. It works beautifully, I used it to mount my upgrade 15" wheels and Michelin LT's.
Just curious and not meant as a criticism; I'm a big fan of "whatever works." But if you were camping, and discovered one of your tires going flat, would you hitch up long enough to pull your trailer onto your tire changing ramp, or jack up the trailer in place? Which option would be least troublesome?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
On a positive note, Andrew at Holiday is a wizard. He will thoroughly evaluate the damage and he will make it like new.

He has worked on my rig three times, once when I really bashed it good, and every time I was delighted with the quality of his work.

Hope all turns out well,

Mike
Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Just curious and not meant as a criticism; I'm a big fan of "whatever works." But if you were camping, and discovered one of your tires going flat, would you hitch up long enough to pull your trailer onto your tire changing ramp, or jack up the trailer in place? Which option would be least troublesome?

It has happened to me.
What I did, be it right or wrong, was a can of Fix-a-flat and a 12 volt compressor. The tire stayed up for 2 years before it went flat again. Then I got new tires. Then I traded the trailer...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
But I do have the tire change ramp in the trailer.
The jack that came with the truck is not heavy duty enough to lift the trailer.
Hauling a floor jack around doesn't appeal to me- too heavy for me to lift and eats up payload...
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi Everyone,

Here are a few more photos. We checked the axle tubes and can find no visible damage. Please note that both axle tubes have a saddle in the center that is a factory design.

Thank you all for your kind words and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	206308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	206309  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	206310  
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Rio Rancho , New Mexico
Hi Everyone,

So, if there is no damage to the axle tubes, there won't be any wheel alignment issues? Is that a correct assumption?
Thank you all.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #28
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegangirl57 View Post
Hi Everyone,

So, if there is no damage to the axle tubes, there won't be any wheel alignment issues? Is that a correct assumption?
Thank you all.
Yes.
It looks like the tire tech started lifting the trailer, heard a "crunch", stopped and put the jack in a better spot. With any luck, all that is damaged is the outer pan.