Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
My goodyear dealer wanted to put me on Es for my 63 Overlander that currently weighs 4,000 lbs. I told him it needed Cs. But he only stocks Ds and Es. He doesn't want to sell me Cs at all.

So, I'm looking for another dealer.
Have you actually weighed the trailer ready for the road? Many overlanders were single axle. ( maybe not in your year) C would be ok on the tandem but would be very borderline on a single.
Despite the supposed weight ratings of trailer tires a lot of people have a lot of trouble with them.
I would prefer the safety factor of D rated tires. My 61 tradewind weighs in at 5000 ready for the road which is why i question your weight. Even with D rated tires , careful maintenance etc I have caught some impending tire failures before they actually happened

99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6 View Post
We went to Carlisle "D" rated last year and so far, so good. Time will tell.
And I am running Carlisle "E" since last year on my single axle '64, and so far no issues. I do run the psi at 60. I believe the tire is rated for 85 psi.

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
http://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
riverhead , New York
Load range "C" vs. "D"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Hate to start up yet another tire thread but bear with me. The latest thread on this I could find was 3 years old.
Has anyone had any experience running load range D tires instead of Cs on a vintage tandem axle trailer?
I’ll be mounting Goodyear Marathons despite all the warnings of a looming catastrophe.
The local dealer warehouse only stocks Ds. I can get them same day. I can get Cs from Tire Rack sometime next week, but, with shipping and handling that adds another $80.
The tire dimensions spec out the same, but I’m wondering about the sidewall flex due to the lower inflation pressures. The Goodyear inflation chart lumps both Cs and Ds on the same line indicating comparable pressure for both tires up to the max load of the Cs. Ball-parking my weight I’d be running about 35psi. Seems low to me.

That’s all I’ve got. Thanks for any input in advance,
Tom.
Dear Tom,
To make your decision you need to know the weight being applied to your tires. The only real accurate way to do this is to weigh each wheel. If you can't weigh each wheel, second best is to go by the axle weight rating.
Having a higher load range has many disadvantages too.
The load range D tires are usually rated at about 2650 pounds at maximum pressure. If you have slightly less than the maximum load on that tire, you can go to the manufactures "tire inflation schedule" and see what tire pressure they recommend for the weight that you actually have exerted on your tires.
Very often - the weight that you will be carrying on that tire will be significantly lower than the manufacturers recommendations if you arbitrarily decide to go to a higher load range than recommended.
If the latter is the case then you will be in an "over-inflated condition". While most people would concur that this condition would lead to premature tire wear in the center - more importantly it will leave a significantly smaller "footprint" on the road. This factor is very important because less rubber on the road compromises your tracking and more importantly your braking.
For convenience I have found the lower the load range - the easier to find compressors and gauges too!
By the way on my 34' Airstream I have load range D only because I could not get load range C at the time. On a tri-axle trailer I have much less weight on each tire than a dual-axle!
I am not within the tire inflation schedule's parameters. I only have 1300 pounds on my tire but at - my load range D tires are 2650 pounds. This means that even though I have significantly reduced my tire pressures I am still in an over inflated condition which results in a harder ride for my trailer and a smaller road footprint.
Sorry for the wordy response but I felt it was important to you.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickDavis View Post
Have you actually weighed the trailer ready for the road? Many overlanders were single axle. ( maybe not in your year) C would be ok on the tandem but would be very borderline on a single.
Despite the supposed weight ratings of trailer tires a lot of people have a lot of trouble with them.
I would prefer the safety factor of D rated tires. My 61 tradewind weighs in at 5000 ready for the road which is why i question your weight. Even with D rated tires , careful maintenance etc I have caught some impending tire failures before they actually happened
It weights 3800 lbs unloaded, around 4300-4500 loaded for the road. In 1963 Overlanders came stock w/ tandem axles, and mine is no exception. C rated tires are appropriate for my trailer, E rated tires are not appropriate, and D are somewhere in-between.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I am surprised acquiring trailer tires is this much trouble.

Tom
Has to do with supply and demand. Trailer tires don't sell as fast as car and truck tires. The manufacturer has to make a decision as to how many tires to make in a run. Obviously when you find a tire that has a manufacturing code from a year ago, you know that specific tire and size isn't moving very fast or it would have been sold 6 to 9 months ago.

Just the world we play in.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-06-2010, 03:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
That was not exactly uplifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Has to do with supply and demand. ... Just the world we play in.
Dave,

Since you do a lot with boat trailers and all, would you happen to know another tire maker (any tire maker) who is marketing (and delivering) LR C tires?

My quandary now is whether to purchase Marathon LR D tires, or more suitable LR tires from another tire maker.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Boat trailer tires swim in a different world again ....

I have a 27' express cruiser on a dual axle trailer the combo weighes over 7000#'s. (I believe close to 7500) To keep the center of gravity down low the trailer manufacture installed 14" rims on this 1997 built trailer. (At least that is what I made up about why I have 14" rims on this set up.) The trailer is rated to a weight capacity of 9500 #'s. Tires not so much.

The largest non-passenger 14" tire I am able to get is a 215x75x14 in a "C rating. (1880 #'s each at max pressure for a total of 7520 #s) This tire size is at the load limit I am towing so I push the envelope because of availablity. The manufacturers that build that kind of tire in "C" range are Goodyear & Greenball that come to mind.

"D" ratings ....... well that is a dream that I have had for a 14" rim size tire. I have not been able to make that one come true. Of course if I wasn't so cheap, I'd pony up to 15" rims and tires to match. Then I could get the load capacity in tires which is my weakest link in my towing set up for this rig.

Sorry not much help for you in the water world of towing because of rim size I work with.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
As many of you have discovered there seems to be drought of load range Cs out there. Which, of course, is one of the reasons for this thread.
I’ve been checking out tires for the last 3 months. The skins on there now had been sitting at least 7 years with minimal use, leak constantly and are basically junk. My dilemma was that the first trip of the season is 2 weeks from today. Warning!! Blatant plug: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f288...ois-61599.html
Six other trailers have confirmed so we’ve got to show.
I needed tires yesterday.
To sum things up. 4 load range D Marathons showed up at 2 PM. Made in the USA during the last week of ‘09. After work I mounted 1 on a prepped rim. It balanced out at 1.5oz. total. No need to even match mount the tire to the rim.
I knew this thread would open the proverbial can of worms but it’s enjoyable and informative to read everyone’s comments and experiences.

Thanks, See you on the road,
Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 04:40 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Apparently, patience is the key

The load range C Marathons I asked my Goodyear dealer to order finally came in this past Friday, and all four tires were made during the 2nd & 3rd weeks of this year.

These tires replaced bias ply tires purchased when my Overlander was new to me. While I knew the Marathons would have a lower profile than my old LT 7.00X15s, surprisingly, my Airstream now sits 7/8” lower than it did 3-1/2 years ago when the new axles were installed. I hope the bulk of this difference is due to the new tires and NOT to sagging axles.

Now I have to get comfortable with the tire inflation pressures. The old bias ply tires were run at their max pressure of 45 psig. According to Goodyear’s inflation guide for radials, at my Airstream’s fully loaded weight the new radials only need 30 psig to get us safely to a campground.

The tire shop inflated the new tires to their max rating of 50 psig. I deflated them to 35 psig. 30 psig, while it may be optimum, seems too low, and makes me uncomfortable.

On the lighter side, I might pump the tires back up to 50 psig if more ground clearance is needed – The Overlander lost 1/16” of height going from 50 to 35 psig.

Tom
Old 05-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
... According to Goodyear’s inflation guide for radials, at my Airstream’s fully loaded weight the new radials only need 30 psig to get us safely to a campground...
yeah that's ONE interpretation of the table but in what language?

this is sorta the opposite of "if 1 is good 2 is better"

the table is only a reference for LOAD LIMITS at a given pressure.

it is NOT a GUIDE TO INFLATION pressures.

and it's not a "we recommend u run them at this lower pressure" endorsement.

30-35 is a bad idea.

more lateral INstablity leading to sway and WOBBLE,

more vulnerable to pot holes, curbs and so on...

more sidewall ROLLING when backing or in turns/corners...

more HEAT when moving,

LESS round when parked/stored.

and should ANY ONE TIRE go down for some reason the OTHER TIRE is now over stressed.

this is WHY folks who have one flat or low slow leak end up with a 2nd tire on the same side falling apart.

((then they cry about crappy quality tires))

the issue is VOLUME of air in the tire (for support) and protecting the rim.

at 35 psi the VOLUME of air is ~1/3 to 1/2 LESS than at 50 psi.

that volume is important for a lotta reasons.

if the axles are good run them at 50 psi.

50 psi is NOT a firm tire by any means (inflate a bicycle tire to 50 psi and THUMB IT)

crappy old hard/flat/dead axles hurt old streams.

not tires properly inflated.

besides these are radials so even at 50 psi they will be MUCH softer than bias ply tires.

ignore the side wall LOOK, just inflate the damn things.

IF one is dragging around an old trailer on axles that NEED replacement,

towing HOME on softer tires might be ok.

but with fresh axles and fresh tires, TRAVEL is safer at proper inflations.

i know there are nerds here who THINK dialing in the pressure (at much lower levels) provides some sort of magic...

it doesn't.
_________

it's unlikely that anyone will go to the trouble of checking pressures and temps while traveling...

but that would be very useful feedback

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the table is only a reference for LOAD LIMITS at a given pressure... it is NOT a GUIDE TO INFLATION pressures... and it's not a "we recommend u run them at this lower pressure" endorsement.

30-35 is a bad idea.
I like your words, Joe, and will probably go back and pump the tires back up since my axles are fairly new.

Would anyone care to "second" 2air's words?

Tom
Old 05-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #26
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I'm inclined to inflate tires more than the values shown in that chart. Airstreams don't have equalizing gear, so the trailer's attitude will significantly affect per-axle loadings. The downside of over-inflation can be more wear in the center of the tire, but this is not as critical with the narrower tires used on trailers as compared to low profile tires on cars, and is less of an issue with radials than w/ bias ply tires.

Under inflation leads to rapid tire wear, hidden sidewall damage and the possibility of catastrophic failure. Over-inflation for the load leads to possibly lower tire mileage, and a harder ride.

Rule of thumb - split the difference. If the chart says 35 psi and the sidewall max is 50, inflate to 43 psi. Check tire temps w/ your hand after towing for a while at speed; if one axle's tires are hotter, give that axle a bit more air.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:20 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I am inclined to inflate tires to near max inflation even when lightly loaded. I run my D range tires at 60 psi cold even though it is a tandem axle. weighing 5000lbs. My older pair now has about 30,000 miles, is wearing evenly and shows a tread depth of 7/32, New they had 11/32. I have never seen center wear from overinflation. I have seen outside wear, heat and sidewall problems from underinflation. It should be noted the axles on the 61 are original.
One thing to keep in mind also is on your tow vehicle you will usually feel a tire problem developing. On the trailer you will not.
I deliver trailers and have experienced both lost wheels and blowout and never felt anything back there
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:25 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Drummond Island , Michigan
I run ST 225/75R15 Load range "E" inflated to 65 lbs. on my 31' Excella. Just finished 12,000 miles around the western U.S.. Everything from sea level to 11,000 feet above and 20 degrees F. to the Death Valley below sea level and 116 degrees F., snow, wet, dry, hot, whatever. The tires now have over 25,000 miles on them and they are in great shape after three years with no failures what so ever. The E's are max rated at 80 psi but I don't run that much pressure because our trailer does not weigh that as much as the tires are rated for. We do not have a problem with rivet popping or stuff shaken out of the cabinets. We did have some problems in the past caused by a collapsed suspension and load range "D" tires would not have made it any better. We have had no problems since replacing the axles with new Henschens. Going to load range "D" tires from "C" should not cause any problems if your axles are in good shape. You could run lower tire pressures but I would try it checking tire temps and ride characteristics at both lower and higher pressures and run a higher pressure if the trailer performs ok. There is also the considration of whether or not you ever have a problem with a tire out on the road. If you are having problems finding a "C" rated tire at home imagine what it would be like on a Sunday in Podunk, USA.