Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Davison , Michigan
Jacking both tires off the ground questions..

Got the tires and Centramics to mount, and so I need to get both tires on a side up into the air for the swap... 28 twin International serenity

This is not a situation where I can drive the trailer onto a block....

I need to use a jack to lift both tires up at once. I was told at my airstream dealer that jacking on the frame (anywhere along that frame) marked by the diamond "jack" markings would be safe. I am assuming I will need to do either:

1. Used a large bottle jack between the tires on that frame rail section

2. Use a jack on the rear jack point, and or another on the front jack point

I'm doing the swap myself as no offense to the tire shops, but I dont want someone just randomly jacking up the trailer.

Thoughts?
Estrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Here are the answer I got to the same question.

Easy peazy.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
With a 5t bottle jack placed between the wheels and under the frame I lifted both wheels off the ground this afternoon on my 25. Setting it up in a semi permanant camp site and needed to dig some dirt out under the wheels to get level, was easier than hitching up and pulling in and out.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I always use a floor jack at the rear jack point and have not had any issues. If I'm leaving it up, I place a jack stand on the frame between the wheels and remove the floor jack. "
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Davison , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgibbs View Post
I always use a floor jack at the rear jack point and have not had any issues. If I'm leaving it up, I place a jack stand on the frame between the wheels and remove the floor jack. "

That rear jack spot gets both wheel up?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Tucson , Arizona
What Bgibbs said.

Also I once asked JC about the seemingly haphazard placement of the "Jack Here" diamonds. They told me the placement wasn't critical and that anyplace along the frame rail aft of the axle is fine. The closer to the axle, the less lift is needed. All this assumes you're hitched to stabilize the trailer, provide a pivot point and prevent rolling off the jack/jackstands.
The Ice Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
What about jacking up the axel? I asked because I was speaking with a Mobile RV service guy so I can re-grease and check breaks. When I asked how he planned on jacking up the AS, he said it would be safer to use the axels. Is this a no-no? -John
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On an Airstream with the rubber torsion bar axles, jacking on the axle tube will permanently damage the axle. I'd find another repair guy, as he does not exhibit basic knowledge of Airstream axles...

And I'm being very diplomatic....its an absolute no-no.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrange View Post
Got the tires and Centramics to mount, and so I need to get both tires on a side up into the air for the swap... 28 twin International serenity

This is not a situation where I can drive the trailer onto a block....

I need to use a jack to lift both tires up at once. I w
Follow the as told at my airstream dealer that jacking on the frame (anywhere along that frame) marked by the diamond "jack" markings would be safe. I am assuming I will need to do either:

1. Used a large bottle jack between the tires on that frame rail section

2. Use a jack on the rear jack point, and or another on the front jack point

I'm doing the swap myself as no offense to the tire shops, but I dont want someone just randomly jacking up the trailer.

Thoughts?
I concur with your last. Statement.
And be sure to use a 'calibrated' torque wrench and not just an impact wrench to mount the wheels.
Follow the 'protocol for Retorquing

An impact wrench has the accuracy of an elephant with a sledgehammer.

Look after your equipment, it will look after you.
"Trailer Trash. ......."
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Palm Beach Gardens , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
On an Airstream with the rubber torsion bar axles, jacking on the axle tube will permanently damage the axle. I'd find another repair guy, as he does not exhibit basic knowledge of Airstream axles...

And I'm being very diplomatic....its an absolute no-no.

Thanks.
John Geisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I also use a floor jack on the rear (and only) marked jack points. It easily gets both tires off the ground. I do it with it hitched to my tow vehicle and I put the hitch jack down. It stabilizes everything, I find.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
At and Airstream rally I bought a couple of little adaptors to use a bottle jack for that purpose. About a 3 inch long piece of 2" u channel with a inch of 1 1/4 inch tubing welded onto the bottom. The tubing fits around the neck of the bottle jack and the u channel saddle fits on the short frame member between the 2 wheels. Best way of jacking I have seen. Keeps the bottle jack from slipping off the frame and going through the floor while the trailer falls on you. You should get one made. I carry one along with the bottle jack in the truck when we pull the trailer (actually I carry it all the time since it just stays in the truck along with the jack.

I have had one of these for a long time. But I bought another at the International Rally last year. Somebody had some there. I would not jack the trailer without one. found a picture of something similar on google but no idea how too buy it. The ones I have are simpler made. Just sawed off pieces of stock welded together.

https://www.pateurope.com/db/product...f125855d7c.jpg
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
This is a combination bottle jack and jackstand that was talked about on the forums earlier...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has the advantage of being fairly compact and safe at the same time. It's never a good idea to raise anything with just a bottle jack--use of jackstands, IMHO, are mandatory for safety when working under something that can crush you flat. Be sure to chock tires, hook up to a tow vehicle, and be darn careful in any case..gravity has NO mercy.

These come in various capacities, but since my AS is at about 6,000 pounds or so, I went with my usual overkill. The price difference is not enough to be cheap...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:02 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Geisen View Post
Thanks.
Your owner's manual is probably very clear about this. If your manual is missing they are available online at the main Airstream site under the Service tab at the upper right. Give a shout if you want more detailed directions.

Mobile RV services have misled many an Airstream owner by jacking under the axles unfortunately.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:14 PM   #15
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrange View Post
That rear jack spot gets both wheel up?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5482.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	285818

Yup

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Best place is the axle mounting plate. I use a floor jack between the wheels most of the time but there is room for a bottle jack in front of the wheels and behind the wheels and still be on the axle mounting plate. You do need to be careful to hit the plate and not the shock mount. Some idiot had bent the shock mount and the plate on mine. I removed the shock and used a cheater pipe to bend it back into place. A similar idiot missed the plate and bent one of my tank pans with a floor jack. Garage monkeys can do a lot of damage if not properly supervised. You never want to jack the axle accept to support it when it is removed or installed.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I have had one of these for a long time. But I bought another at the International Rally last year. Somebody had some there. I would not jack the trailer without one. found a picture of something similar on google but no idea how too buy it. The ones I have are simpler made. Just sawed off pieces of stock welded together.

https://www.pateurope.com/db/product...f125855d7c.jpg

PERFECT!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Davison , Michigan
Got the job done easily today...

Bottle jack between the wheels, and a floor jack in support, just in case, on the rear jack point.

Mounted new LT E rated Nokian tires on the original 15" wheels... fit the wheel well perfectly with no issues.