Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Air Mobile
 
2005 25' International CCD
Newport News , Virginia
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Jack & Lug nut wrench

I guess I am extremely lucky; we had a tire blowout on our first trip this spring and a Virginia Dept of Transportation (VDOT) Employee happened by almost immediately and changed our tire; he had the jack and lug nut remover (wrench). I had never even checked the spare, wasn't even sure we had one (dumb, i know, bit that's in the past). Well, we're safely home now and i am looking on this excellent site to figure out what tires to get to replace all five to increase our chances of making the next trip without this type of adventure repeated. Trying to not be so dumb for next time i just spent a few minutes looking over the 25' AS Intl we own and have a few questions after not finding the answer in the owners manual or my look-see.

1) Is there a jack and lug nut removal wrench hidden somewhere on the trailer I can't find? I would have assumed it would be tied in somewhere near the spare, but it's not there and I can find no mention in owners manual.

2) I see where the label under the trailer says jack and has an arrow pointing in, but I don't see where they mean to place the jack. The VDOT guy put his jack on the main steel frame, but the jack sticker with arrow just points to covered belly and not sure where the proper place to put the jack is. There is a 2.5" x 2.5" piece of metal rivted to the belly cover, in the general area where the jack arrow points, is that the proper place to put the jack.

3) Finally, reading this board makes it seem like folks have regular blowouts all the time. If that's the case what the heck do you guys do for a jack and lug nut remover. I feel blessed for the VDOT help this last time, and take my word for it from someone who commutes over the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel everyday for work, i never thought I'd be saying that particular sentiment about VDOT or its employees.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded. I would say any thoughts guys, but my limited experience on this board assures my I will hear some great stuff. And for that, thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
Tim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,762
Images: 5
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

New Airstreams don't usually come with a jack and lug wrench. We have had a number of tire catastrophes on our 25FB that we have changed ourselves. We don't carry a jack and just used our leggo leveling blocks to get the flat tire off of thew ground. We use our torque wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Then we use our drill/driver to finish up.

You really need to have a torque wrench with you at all times so that you can check the tightness of the the lug nut on a regular basis.

Here are a couple of photos of one of our Lucy tire adventures. You will notice that SuEllyn handles the actual changing of the tire. I oversee the operation and take photographs.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3318.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	126617   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3317.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	126618  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3319.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	126619  
__________________

__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:12 PM   #3
Air Mobile
 
2005 25' International CCD
Newport News , Virginia
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
New Airstreams don't usually come with a jack and lug wrench. We have had a number of tire catastrophes on our 25FB that we have changed ourselves. We don't carry a jack and just used our leggo leveling blocks to get the flat tire off of thew ground. We use our torque wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Then we use our drill/driver to finish up.

You really need to have a torque wrench with you at all times so that you can check the tightness of the the lug nut on a regular basis.

Here are a couple of photos of one of our Lucy tire adventures. You will notice that SuEllyn handles the actual changing of the tire. I oversee the operation and take photographs.

Brian
Thanks Brian, I have a SuEllyn, though her name's Beverly... > BTW: What tires are you running on your AS?
__________________
Tim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Ready-to-Travel
 
pmclemore's Avatar

 
2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsupler View Post
I guess I am extremely lucky; we had a tire blowout on our first trip this spring and a Virginia Dept of Transportation (VDOT) Employee happened by almost immediately and changed our tire; he had the jack and lug nut remover (wrench). I had never even checked the spare, wasn't even sure we had one (dumb, i know, bit that's in the past). Well, we're safely home now and i am looking on this excellent site to figure out what tires to get to replace all five to increase our chances of making the next trip without this type of adventure repeated. Trying to not be so dumb for next time i just spent a few minutes looking over the 25' AS Intl we own and have a few questions after not finding the answer in the owners manual or my look-see.
I carry multiple tools to change tires, mainly because I keep finding better ways: A 4-way speed wrench (be sure the walls of the wrench sockets are thin); A battery-powered drill with a 13/16" socket - even faster than the speed wrench after the nuts have been broken loose; a torque wrench.

If I am hitched, I don't use a jack; if you pull your good wheel up on some blocks you can change the tire like that.

Quote:
1) Is there a jack and lug nut removal wrench hidden somewhere on the trailer I can't find? I would have assumed it would be tied in somewhere near the spare, but it's not there and I can find no mention in owners manual.

2) I see where the label under the trailer says jack and has an arrow pointing in, but I don't see where they mean to place the jack. The VDOT guy put his jack on the main steel frame, but the jack sticker with arrow just points to covered belly and not sure where the proper place to put the jack is. There is a 2.5" x 2.5" piece of metal rivted to the belly cover, in the general area where the jack arrow points, is that the proper place to put the jack.
That piece of metal is the place that is designed for marking where your jack goes.

Quote:
3) Finally, reading this board makes it seem like folks have regular blowouts all the time. If that's the case what the heck do you guys do for a jack and lug nut remover. I feel blessed for the VDOT help this last time, and take my word for it from someone who commutes over the Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel everyday for work, i never thought I'd be saying that particular sentiment about VDOT or its employees.

Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded. I would say any thoughts guys, but my limited experience on this board assures my I will hear some great stuff. And for that, thanks in advance.
By the way - welcome to the Forums. You'll find a lot of good info here.

Pat
__________________
--------------------------------------
Somebody, please, point me to the road.

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
Moderator
 
moosetags's Avatar

 
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,762
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsupler View Post
Thanks Brian, I have a SuEllyn, though her name's Beverly... > BTW: What tires are you running on your AS?

We started off the the OEM GY Marathons. We had 3 blowouts in the first year. We went to Maxxis load range E's. We got 27,000 on these when
they developed serious tread separation. We thought that they did pretty good, so we got another set of the Maxxis. These only got 14,000 miles before tread separation got them. At this point, we had decided that all ST trailer tires are pretty much junk if you want to go far and fast (over 65 mph). In the last 4 1/2 years, Lucy has logged over 70,000 miles, and we have camped in her for over 820 nights.

Lucy in now sporting 16" wheels with Michelin LT truck tires.

Brian
__________________
SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
A chrome 4 way lug wrench would be a good addition for changing tire. A friend of ours has had very good luck with Michelin LTX tires, in a 235/75R15 LR C configuration. When it's time to replace our 225/15 Marathons, I'll probably go with the LTXs myself.
__________________
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #7
Air Mobile
 
2005 25' International CCD
Newport News , Virginia
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
A chrome 4 way lug wrench would be a good addition for changing tire. A friend of ours has had very good luck with Michelin LTX tires, in a 235/75R15 LR C configuration. When it's time to replace our 225/15 Marathons, I'll probably go with the LTXs myself.
Do you foresee and problems running the 235/75R15 versus the oem 225/75R15 that come stock on the AS in regards to the size difference?
__________________
Tim_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsupler View Post
Do you foresee and problems running the 235/75R15 versus the oem 225/75R15 that come stock on the AS in regards to the size difference?
My friend has a modern (5 year old) Airstream, the same years as yours, and the tires fit in his wheelwells with no trouble. Our Airstream is older, but has replacement axles so that there is more clearance.
__________________
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #9
More than one rivet loose
 
thecatsandi's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We use our torque wrench to loosen the lug nuts.

Brian
Brian,
That's a no no. It can de-tune the wrench. Resulting in in-accuracy. Use a impact or lug wrench.

I have had to change two tires due to punctures. I backed the good tire up on leveling blocks.

I am on my forth set of Marathons. I keep the pressure up and the speed down. This keeps them from overheating. A tires biggest problem after a defect.
__________________
Michelle TAC MT-0
Sarah, Snowball

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #10
Wise Elder
 
Jammer's Avatar
 
2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,119
The trailers do not come from the factory with a lug wrench. I carry a breaker bar, extension, and socket. It is the same breaker bar I use for the overcenter latches on my hitch, and the hitch and lug nut sockets are the only ones I carry. I also carry a hydraulic jack although that may not be strictly necessary since as others have noted the independent axles allow you to pull up onto a block.

Some people have had bad luck with tires and I think that there were in fact some problems with Goodyear Marathons manufactured in certain date ranges. Trailer tires have a hard life, on an Airstream they are pretty much always running close to maximum weight which isn't the way it happens on a car or pickup.
__________________
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,266
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
Hi, as you now know, Airstream trailers do not come with a lug wrench or jack. [not all Airstreams even come with a spare tire, mine was optional] I carry a torque wrench, a bottle jack, a breaker bar, two thin wall deep impact sockets, [3/4"-19mm & 13/16"-21mm] one 6" by 1/2" extension, and a four way cross bar lug wrench. I recently bought some leveling blocks and a Trailer Aide Plus; I have not used these yet and I have never had a flat. Good to carry these items even if you only use them to help out a fellow camper.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master
 
noreen&sal's Avatar
 
1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,179
Images: 9
I always carry a 4 way and use the blocks. Sal.
__________________
Sal & Nora
Let us live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain
AIR 42483
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member
 
1971 29' Ambassador
Leonardtown , Maryland
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 262
Images: 3
We have had a good number of "blow outs", and tred separations. I carry a 4 way lug wrench, a 12 ton bottle nose jack and the blocks. My lugs have chrome covers and need a 6 point wrench. A 12 point will slip. I also carry a torque wrench. The aluminum wheels on my unit need to be toqued to 85 ft lbs, over torqueing will cause studs to break off. "Been there, did that".
My tire issues became so frequent that we got a Pressure Pro to monitor the tire pressures while on the move. Has paid for its self, alerted us twice to flats prior to any damage.
All of this works for me.

dale
__________________
_________________

Rebee - WBCCI #1325
2002 Classic Ltd 30'
2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7 Cummins
Rebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:04 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
 
2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
New Airstreams don't usually come with a jack and lug wrench. We have had a number of tire catastrophes on our 25FB that we have changed ourselves. We don't carry a jack and just used our leggo leveling blocks to get the flat tire off of thew ground. We use our torque wrench to loosen the lug nuts. Then we use our drill/driver to finish up.

You really need to have a torque wrench with you at all times so that you can check the tightness of the the lug nut on a regular basis.

Here are a couple of photos of one of our Lucy tire adventures. You will notice that SuEllyn handles the actual changing of the tire. I oversee the operation and take photographs.

Brian
Brian, Where do I get those lego leveling blocks?
john
__________________

__________________
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jack Digital Over-the-Air Antenna Tallytown Audio, Video & TV 21 02-17-2013 12:19 PM
OK to use a jack instead of blocks to level? KYAirstream Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 27 09-18-2012 07:42 AM
Lug nut torque for aluminum wheels? blickcd Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 5 05-01-2011 09:08 PM
Jack point on 20 foot-Caravelle/Argosy ? glacierrunne Jacks, Stabilizers, Lifting and Leveling 1 03-16-2011 11:53 AM
Newbie question - decorative lug covers idmtman Wheels, Hubs & Bearings 9 02-05-2011 12:41 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.