Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
This Web site does NOT give any information on wt. Ratings, or any other useful information
All they ask is for the type of auto, And where you live for a closer dealer.
AND absolutely nothing for use in trailers.

Michelin has a good tire, but their web-site is a waste!
Just click on the right arrow next to "More data" to scroll the table to the right.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
My new 2016 30' FC was provided with Michelin LTX/M/S 2 tires; 😮P235/75R15- 108
tires The load rating on the sidewalls show 2185 lb. at 50PSI. X4=8740 lbs.
Derate 10% means I can carry only around 8000 lbs gross.
CUTE!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #43
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
Lucky for me, he sold me what I needed, not what I wanted...

Cool. So, what tires did he sell you and what model of trailer did you put them on?

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:45 PM   #44

While this won't quiet the "tire wars," we have an update regarding our plan to install those 15" Michelin tires on our 27FB. Our local Discount Tire, with which I had spoken about these tires at least three times, including a discussion of our GVWR for the trailer, and had paid in full for installation, etc. declined to install them and refunded our money.

Somehow, until we showed up with Rocinante he was perfectly willing to do the deal...but when we got there and he saw the trailer, that same guy changed his mind.

So, I guess we have to put one more tire store into the "won't install 235/75 R15 Michelin tires" column for an Airstream 27FB.

It seems that to get rid of the ST tires we'll have to bite the bullet and go for 16" wheels and the associated Michelin tires (LT or Ribs depending on how we feel). Ah well, live and learn.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:38 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
What explanation did he give for changing his mind?
Old 06-10-2016, 09:34 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
What explanation did he give for changing his mind?
He was looking at a tire capacity chart and said he just didn't feel comfortable putting tires with a 109 capacity on the trailer despite my valid point that the trailer's GVWR was well below the capacity of those 4 tires on two axles. He said he'd have done it in a minute if they were more like 112-114 capacity. Also offered to put on Maxis ST tires, which I declined.

So, to avoid this issue in future, when we upgrade we'll just go with 16" Sendel wheels, etc. I don't want to find myself somewhere with a puncture at a tire store where the manager might refuse to put a new tire on the trailer because it's "under capacity." I don't happen to agree with that assessment, but I also don't need the grief.

This is personally embarrassing given the research I did and the calls I made to that shop before going in, but I'm sharing with you anyway. Please don't toss in any I-told-you-so's, as it would be neither helpful nor nice.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
He was looking at a tire capacity chart and said he just didn't feel comfortable putting tires with a 109 capacity on the trailer despite my valid point that the trailer's GVWR was well below the capacity of those 4 tires on two axles. He said he'd have done it in a minute if they were more like 112-114 capacity. Also offered to put on Maxis ST tires, which I declined.

So, to avoid this issue in future, when we upgrade we'll just go with 16" Sendel wheels, etc. I don't want to find myself somewhere with a puncture at a tire store where the manager might refuse to put a new tire on the trailer because it's "under capacity." I don't happen to agree with that assessment, but I also don't need the grief.

This is personally embarrassing given the research I did and the calls I made to that shop before going in, but I'm sharing with you anyway. Please don't toss in any I-told-you-so's, as it would be neither helpful nor nice.
Thanks for the response, as this will help me, and probably others, when it's time to decide which when to go when we need to replace our AS tires.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:50 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry to hear that. Like you, I called ahead to ensure they knew what I wanted on my trailer and why. Unlike you, they didn't weasel out when I got there. They even did the pair I had to replace after I badly scraped them on som highway construction I don't ant to talk about again 😕

Keep calling around?

Good luck.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:59 AM   #49
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Installed five new Michelin Defender series LT265/70R17E tires today on my 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins as they had aged out. Only 50,000 mile warranty instead of the 70,000 mile warranty on the prior generation.

Discount Tire in Mesa out the door price was around $1,067 complete.
Good choice, good price.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The 7,600 pound GVW of the 27/28 models is crowding the safety margin for some folks. However, others are quite happy with them.

When I put the 15" Michelins on the 25FB, I brought two of the original tires and wheels only in to CostCo and they did then swap. I returned to the trailer and installed them and brought another pair and made a third trip with the spare. At no time was the trailer on their premises, even parked across the street and brought a flat in and the tire had to be replaced as the damage was non-repairable.

A useful bit of information is the actual tire loading by tire. The street side rear is the heaviest loaded tire on our 23D at 1,360 pounds which is well below the derated capacity of 1,938 pounds of the prior generation 15" Michelins. The curb side rear of the Classic is the heaviest loaded tire at 2,062 pounds with the 16" Michelin LT tires rated 2,680 pounds at 80 psi and 2,500 pounds at 72.5 psi which is the pressure I carry.

The disappointment in the new Michelin 17" LT Defender series is the implied reduced tire life by reducing the warranty from 70,000 miles to 50,000 milers at a time when we should be extending tire life to reduce our use of oil.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:22 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that one needs to point out to the uneducated tire salesman the tires are NOT carrying the GVW of the trailer. The tongue weight is on the tow vehicle or the jack stand when parked. Most new wide body Airstreams, despite the Airstream literature listed tongue weights, are crowding the 1,000 pound tongue weight number. Even if a third of the tongue weight gets transferred back to the tires, the 7,600 GVW would imply a under 7,000 pound load on the tires. Divided by four, we find the tire load average is 1,750 pounds which is less than the derated capacity of 1.985 pounds. The newer Defender series have a higher load capacity so the safety margin would be even better.

Just saying...

To keep from beating up a lighter trailer with the 16" Michelins, one would have to run less than 80 psi.

Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 rated 2,680 pounds @ 80 psi diameter 29.2" P/N 05681
4 x 2,680 = 10,720 pounds (info from 2014)

80psi 2,680 (E)
75psi 2,560
70psi 2,440
65psi 2,335 (D)
60psi 2,190
55psi 2,060
50psi 1,940 (C)
45psi 1,790

Running lower pressure requires a TPMS system to find the sweet spot where the temperature rises are within limits at the lower pressures. We have found the 72/73 point works on our Classic where the tires are supporting about 8,000 pounds of the 9,200 pounds scales total weight ready for camping.
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #52

Thanks again, Switz, great info here. I appreciate your analysis on the 15" situation and your thoughts re: best pressure for 16" tires. I just don't have the time or energy to deal with tire salespeople who may cause me serious inconvenience based on their current state of mind on the subject, which can apparently change like the weather. <sigh>

In the next month or two we'll do the 16" upgrade, which I expect will go smoothly. When we do, we'll keep that pressure chart and the experiences of other upgraders here in mind.

Old 06-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #53
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
if you want 15" michelins you may need to do it yourself

When replacing a 15" Michelin, I take the wheel off in my driveway, drive it up to the local tire store, ask for a replacement and when they need to know a vehicle type to enter into the computer, I have used the "1957 Chevy Pickup" line. They enter it into the computer, and proceed to mount the new tire onto the rim. I don't think they believe me, but they don't seem to care and I certainly don't either!

Best of luck with your Michelins - be they 15" or 16"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
While this won't quiet the "tire wars," we have an update regarding our plan to install those 15" Michelin tires on our 27FB. Our local Discount Tire, with which I had spoken about these tires at least three times, including a discussion of our GVWR for the trailer, and had paid in full for installation, etc. declined to install them and refunded our money.

Somehow, until we showed up with Rocinante he was perfectly willing to do the deal...but when we got there and he saw the trailer, that same guy changed his mind.

So, I guess we have to put one more tire store into the "won't install 235/75 R15 Michelin tires" column for an Airstream 27FB.

It seems that to get rid of the ST tires we'll have to bite the bullet and go for 16" wheels and the associated Michelin tires (LT or Ribs depending on how we feel). Ah well, live and learn.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 09:53 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have 16" Michelins with Sendel wheels on three AS trailers. First was a 25' FC second was a 30' FC and the last from the AS factory a 30' FC.

Prior to installation on the 25' I called Michelin and emailed them. Both verbally and in writing they told me the same thing they told Atomic, "miss application and warranty is voided. So, I called AS as they have been offering this set up as an option for a while and now as standard on the 30' Classic. I talked with two different engineers and one customer service person who directed me to the engineers. AS has no relationship nor agreement with Michelin. AS buys the tires mounted on Sendel wheels (at least as of December 2014 when I talked to them) from a local Michelin tire dealer.

So, not sure what will happen if our factory installed Michelins fail, but we like them, like the ride and that fact we do not have a 65mph speed limit rating.

About 35,000 miles on all three sets with no issues - so far.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 11:17 AM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Liberty Corner , New Jersey
So the engineering depth of AS trumps the R and D knowledge base of Michelin.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #56
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
So the engineering depth of AS trumps the R and D knowledge base of Michelin.
Likely it is more like .... if customers want them Airstream will put them on.

As to warranty coverage that would be specified in the paper work one gets in a new trailer. It may be an AS covered item.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-11-2016, 04:00 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
This Web site does NOT give any information on wt. Ratings, or any other useful information
All they ask is for the type of auto, And where you live for a closer dealer.
AND absolutely nothing for use in trailers.

Michelin has a good tire, but their web-site is a waste!

You can derate, arate or brate. There are a great many of us with these tires on our Airstreams enjoying the heck out of them every time we pull them down the road . And frankly the last thing I want to do is talk someone into installing them on their trailer. However it gets tiring to read all this, but,but,but when the evidence on the road by people actually using them is contrary.

And yes for whatever reason it is difficult to find clear straightforward information on Michelins website about their tires. There are many dealers who aren't as savvy as they should be either. I did my own research and cross referenced it all to make sure it would work because changing to 16" wheels is not a very good solution either on many of the trailers out there, not mention the needless additional cost.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:01 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Cool!
Old 06-12-2016, 04:09 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Yes but as Michelin will tell you...
Mounting an LT tire on a travel trailer is a misapplication and voids the warranty of the tire.
michelin sent me a letter stating their official policy and position. Many say something to the effect that Airstream offers these as standard... its Airstream's decision not the component manufacturers......
I'm not trying to start a war, just sharing factual information right from the source. This smart person tried them.and literally ripped the sidewall at the bead while backing his tripleaxle on 2 different sets. Ive had failures of the sidewall as well. This cost me.tens of thousands of dollars on repairs... a well maintained st tire has cost me zero on failure repair. I.fulltime and cover 20-50 thousand miles a year.
Were these tires old enough to be subject to the recall from a few years ago?
Old 06-12-2016, 04:20 AM   #60
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I never personally checked for a recall. However on conversstion with Michelin there was no mention of any recall. As a matter of policy I always register the dot number with the tire company as to be notified in the event of a recall.
I have a big bubble on a less than a year old Michelin on my tow vehicle.... its a 265 75 16" E ltx ms2.... inflated hard at 80 psi never hit anything... just formed a big 4" bubble. Luckily Discount tire has their service certificate deal!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote