Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Is Anyone Running 15" Michelins on a 27' or 28' Airstream?

I have a 28" International and I'm having a hard time justifying the jump to new 16" wheels/tires. If you have been running 15" Michelins on a similar size,weight trailer can you please give me some feedback.
It looks like the 15" tires should be okay with the trailer max, but it is somewhat close. I usually run around 6500lbs camp ready.
I have not heard any feedback on the new 15" Michelin Defender that was to come out this spring, any input?
malinois38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:56 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I'm interested in the 225 75 R15 Michelin if it comes out
nautiqueman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
I have a 28" International and I'm having a hard time justifying the jump to new 16" wheels/tires. If you have been running 15" Michelins on a similar size,weight trailer can you please give me some feedback.

It looks like the 15" tires should be okay with the trailer max, but it is somewhat close. I usually run around 6500lbs camp ready.

I have not heard any feedback on the new 15" Michelin Defender that was to come out this spring, any input?

I run the 15" Michelins on my 27FB Flying Cloud. I'm about 6000# camp ready. Each tire has 1985# load capacity (derated 10% from 2183 because they're on a trailer). So each axle can take 3970#. The tire engineers on the forums tend to recommend another 10-15% headroom so if you figured say 3500# per axle you'd still have about 500# per axle of margin.

I don't know that I'd personally go much beyond 6500# with the 15" tires but it sounds like you may be ok with them. I run mine at the full 50 PSI.

Another option you might want to consider is the Goodyear G26 Cargo tire which carries over 2500# per tire (like a load range D) at 65 PSI and no 65 mph restriction. They are a little shorter so you might have to adjust your hitch setup.

Last is a Pirelli Scorpion which also does 2500# @65PSI and that's probably very close in height to your GYMs.

At least - that's what all my searching has come up with - I'm not an expert so be sure you're comfortable with whatever decision you're making.

Good luck and happy camping!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I was going to start my own thread on this, but since it is so similar to the op question, I'll just hop on this one.

The 15 inch Michelins appear to be a better choice to me because they run with a little less tire pressure and that should give my rivets a softer ride. They also have less rotating mass which means somewhat shorter stopping distance unless you also move to disk brakes, which I'm not.

The only reason I see to go to 16 inch wheels is if you think you need an extra half inch of ground clearance. People talk about the availability of the tires but from what I see the 15s are readably available at least for now.

Am I missing something here?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I JUST spoke with my RV tech that I've known for years and years.... and asked the same question with the same thought...

and he said

"Well, the marathons used to be great until they moved manufacturing. Last couple years the tire has been in doubt. And the problem is that if one ever blows out, it almost always takes out the wheel well, the side panel and everything else near by.... insurance companies pay us about 8k per blowout... The truck tire is a better bet not to blow out simply because it's a more substantial tire."

Nuff said for me... I told him to hook me up...
Old 04-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Our 25' runs 6300 when camp ready. But it only puts 5500 or so on the trailer axles. Gross rated weight is 6300. We have run the 15" LTX (p235x15 X L tires for 8 years now (2 sets) and they have been perfect. You do need to check your gross axle weight and be sure the tires are rated for more than the axles. I know nothing about the Defender and hate it that Michelin is changing such a good product again. I will have to buy again next spring.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I JUST spoke with my RV tech that I've known for years and years.... and asked the same question with the same thought...

and he said

"Well, the marathons used to be great until they moved manufacturing. Last couple years the tire has been in doubt. And the problem is that if one ever blows out, it almost always takes out the wheel well, the side panel and everything else near by.... insurance companies pay us about 8k per blowout... The truck tire is a better bet not to blow out simply because it's a more substantial tire."

Nuff said for me... I told him to hook me up...

Just to be clear - if you're also talking about the 15" Michelins, those are not truck (LT) tires, they are passenger (P) tires which is why you have to derate them 10% for load carrying capacity (from 2183 to 1985 per tire).
Old 04-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Just to be clear - if you're also talking about the 15" Michelins, those are not truck (LT) tires, they are passenger (P) tires which is why you have to derate them 10% for load carrying capacity (from 2183 to 1985 per tire).

I guess I don't understand this concept. The tires don't know what kind of vehicle they are mounted on. If they are rated for X on a car, as long as the pressure is the same, why derate them?

Not trying to be difficult, just to understand.

Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
I guess I don't understand this concept. The tires don't know what kind of vehicle they are mounted on. If they are rated for X on a car, as long as the pressure is the same, why derate them?

Mike
They are carrying more weight as opposed to a passenger car. Very few automobiles would tip the scales at over 6000#. This puts more pressure on the side walls. Also, trailers have a tendency to try to sway putting more pressure on side walls. Passenger car tires were never designed with this application in mind.

Edit: This is probably an esoteric point, but tandem axles also tend to put more pressure on the side walls. The pivot point on tandem axles tends to be in the center of the two wheels. That is why the tandems in most cases are easier to back up. A single axle trailer will roll around a point. A tandem axle will pivot around a point while sliding the front tire one way and the rear the other. This puts pressure on the side walls. When you change direction in either forward or reverse this holds true. It is just in forward you will usually be making much wider turns.
TN,”Greenest State in the Land of the Free”.Davy Crocket
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1993 29' Excella
Brighton , Ontario
Quote:
FWIW. I've been running the 15" Michelins on my 29' Excella for six years now and about 25,000 Km. I run them at max pressure - 50#. Trailer weight is approx. 7875 # on the scales which is very close to maximum.
Have towed it locally the first couple of years then to the Maritimes in 2011, the Yukon in 2012, Alaska in 2013, and heading out to Newfoundland this year.
Have never had a tire problem, tread looks good. No popped rivets. Drawers and doors stay closed. Continually check pressures. Cover them when stored. Use a Tireminder TPMS. Rarely go over 60 MPH.
I'll be looking at replacing them next season just because of age, but will probably consider going to 16" to get a bit more of a safety factor.
Hensley Arrow
Hans Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
There are a lot of us running 15" Michelins out here.
No need to wait or spend all that money on changing rims.
LTX MS/2 P235 R-15 T-108 , at 50 PSI you get D rating, an awesome ride, go over 65 MP without worry and rarely do you have to add air.
Most tire shops don't stock them because of 15" rim but they will get them the next day for you.

I am running them on my 2013 International.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 12:04 PM   #12
Happy Camper

2018 30' Classic
Flat Rock , North Carolina
Send a message via AIM to nipperguy
We also are running Michelin LTX 235 75R-15 (aired up to 50 lbs.) on our '73 31' International and have been very pleased. We typically run across the scales at 6500 lbs. when packed for travel with around 5400 of that on the axles.
As an aside, it was recently brought to my attention that when a 16" tire blows it can create significantly more damage due to size and weight--something to keep in mind.
nipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
They are carrying more weight as opposed to a passenger car. Very few automobiles would tip the scales at over 6000#. This puts more pressure on the side walls. Also, trailers have a tendency to try to sway putting more pressure on side walls. Passenger car tires were never designed with this application in mind.

Edit: This is probably an esoteric point, but tandem axles also tend to put more pressure on the side walls. The pivot point on tandem axles tends to be in the center of the two wheels. That is why the tandems in most cases are easier to back up. A single axle trailer will roll around a point. A tandem axle will pivot around a point while sliding the front tire one way and the rear the other. This puts pressure on the side walls. When you change direction in either forward or reverse this holds true. It is just in forward you will usually be making much wider turns.
Re: "Putting more pressure on the sidewalls."
Doesn't a road vehicle do the same with the front steering wheels; or as happens on the rear wheels, when rounding a fast curve?
Most automobiles use 'P' tires, that last a fairly long time.
Seems to me that "The Axiom of Equality" applies here.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Is Anyone Running 15" Michelins on a 27' or 28' Airstream?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post

Mike

Hi Mike - I didn't have any problem with your question! I will dig it up (Switz has posted it several times) - there's a regulation (DOT I believe) that specifies the procedure when using passenger tires on something other than a passenger car. Let me search and repost...

I think it's meant for manufacturers primarily ...

On edit - here's a link:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post1783110
Old 04-29-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
I had my local tire guy check with his Michelin Rep & was told that the new 15" Defender would not be available til this fall or later.
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:26 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
I run the 15" Michelins on my 27FB Flying Cloud. I'm about 6000# camp ready. Each tire has 1985# load capacity (derated 10% from 2183 because they're on a trailer). So each axle can take 3970#. The tire engineers on the forums tend to recommend another 10-15% headroom so if you figured say 3500# per axle you'd still have about 500# per axle of margin.

I don't know that I'd personally go much beyond 6500# with the 15" tires but it sounds like you may be ok with them. I run mine at the full 50 PSI.

Another option you might want to consider is the Goodyear G26 Cargo tire which carries over 2500# per tire (like a load range D) at 65 PSI and no 65 mph restriction. They are a little shorter so you might have to adjust your hitch setup.

Last is a Pirelli Scorpion which also does 2500# @65PSI and that's probably very close in height to your GYMs.

At least - that's what all my searching has come up with - I'm not an expert so be sure you're comfortable with whatever decision you're making.

Good luck and happy camping!
I was about to order the Goodyear G26, but my local tire guy advised against it after the limited supply he found (12) would be discontinued when they are all sold.
jcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT235 /75 R15 110S D1 BSW Load range D 2335 lbs

These tires could be a good alternative, light truck tire with a 65psi max pressure. Anyone tried them?

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:14 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
16" upgrade
Old 04-29-2016, 03:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
OK, if the Feds say the 15s should be derated, I guess there is some engineering reason that I don't understand, but I'm good with it. It should still be fine fir my 2015 FC, which weighs 6500 at the axles, set up for camping. And the icing on that particular slice of cake is that next week, when the tires get a $70.00 discount at Costco, but was quoted a mounted price for 4 tires of $481.65.

Let's see, new Michelins, under $500. Piece of mind, priceless.

Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 03:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Hey, anybody want to buy a set of almost new GYMs?

Mike