Old 04-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
I have a 28" International and I'm having a hard time justifying the jump to new 16" wheels/tires. If you have been running 15" Michelins on a similar size,weight trailer can you please give me some feedback.
It looks like the 15" tires should be okay with the trailer max, but it is somewhat close. I usually run around 6500lbs camp ready.
I have not heard any feedback on the new 15" Michelin Defender that was to come out this spring, any input?
I had my local tire guy check with his Michelin Rep & was told that the new 15" Defender would not be available til this fall or later.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Glenville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I run the 15" Michelins on my 27FB Flying Cloud. I'm about 6000# camp ready. Each tire has 1985# load capacity (derated 10% from 2183 because they're on a trailer). So each axle can take 3970#. The tire engineers on the forums tend to recommend another 10-15% headroom so if you figured say 3500# per axle you'd still have about 500# per axle of margin.

I don't know that I'd personally go much beyond 6500# with the 15" tires but it sounds like you may be ok with them. I run mine at the full 50 PSI.

Another option you might want to consider is the Goodyear G26 Cargo tire which carries over 2500# per tire (like a load range D) at 65 PSI and no 65 mph restriction. They are a little shorter so you might have to adjust your hitch setup.

Last is a Pirelli Scorpion which also does 2500# @65PSI and that's probably very close in height to your GYMs.

At least - that's what all my searching has come up with - I'm not an expert so be sure you're comfortable with whatever decision you're making.

Good luck and happy camping!
I was about to order the Goodyear G26, but my local tire guy advised against it after the limited supply he found (12) would be discontinued when they are all sold.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:58 PM   #17
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
Quote:
Last is a Pirelli Scorpion which also does 2500# @65PSI and that's probably very close in height to your GYMs.
Pirelli Scorpion ATR LT235 /75 R15 110S D1 BSW Load range D 2335 lbs

These tires could be a good alternative, light truck tire with a 65psi max pressure. Anyone tried them?

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
2017 Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Just to be clear - if you're also talking about the 15" Michelins, those are not truck (LT) tires, they are passenger (P) tires which is why you have to derate them 10% for load carrying capacity (from 2183 to 1985 per tire).
16" upgrade
Old 04-29-2016, 04:05 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
OK, if the Feds say the 15s should be derated, I guess there is some engineering reason that I don't understand, but I'm good with it. It should still be fine fir my 2015 FC, which weighs 6500 at the axles, set up for camping. And the icing on that particular slice of cake is that next week, when the tires get a $70.00 discount at Costco, but was quoted a mounted price for 4 tires of $481.65.

Let's see, new Michelins, under $500. Piece of mind, priceless.

Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 04:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Hey, anybody want to buy a set of almost new GYMs?

Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #21
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
Caffeinated -
Just saw your post about getting new Michelins for the trailer and wanted to pass along my experience today. An hour ago I was asking about Michelin tires for my trailer at Costco here in Astoria. The guy there told me they won't touch tires on a trailer unless the owner can provide (in writing) the trailer manufacturer's recommendation for proper lug nut torque.
Maybe current Airstreams include this sort of documentation, but my trailer is older than Costco, and I certainly can't produce this document. So I think I'm going to Discount Tire for mine.
Mark
Old 04-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wiltrakis View Post
Caffeinated -
Just saw your post about getting new Michelins for the trailer and wanted to pass along my experience today. An hour ago I was asking about Michelin tires for my trailer at Costco here in Astoria. The guy there told me they won't touch tires on a trailer unless the owner can provide (in writing) the trailer manufacturer's recommendation for proper lug nut torque.
Maybe current Airstreams include this sort of documentation, but my trailer is older than Costco, and I certainly can't produce this document. So I think I'm going to Discount Tire for mine.
Mark
Mark, I live close to the Tigard Costco, (SW Portland) and it has a pretty tight parking lot that is always really crowded. My trailer is at a storage unit and I'm not at all comfortable with towing into the Costc parking lot. So I explained to the guy that I wanted to bring the wheels in one or two at a time, have them mount the tires on my wheels, and then I would mount the wheels back on the trailer. They were fine with that.

As I drove home I passed a Discount Tire store and there was a big sign in the window stating they would not be undersold. Maybe you can use a quote from Costco to get the same deal there?

Mike
Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
OK, if the Feds say the 15s should be derated, I guess there is some engineering reason that I don't understand, but I'm good with it. It should still be fine fir my 2015 FC, which weighs 6500 at the axles, set up for camping. And the icing on that particular slice of cake is that next week, when the tires get a $70.00 discount at Costco, but was quoted a mounted price for 4 tires of $481.65.

Let's see, new Michelins, under $500. Piece of mind, priceless.

Mike

I just put a set of Michelin sneakers on my truck at 50K miles - the rebate of $70 was only about 5% 😳

But that's cool.

Is that 6500 before or after applying WD? I'm at 6000# with WD applied which is when I'm on the road. I'm close to 6500 just on its own. Either way, you're probably within a good margin. Good luck and happy camping!
Old 04-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Barrie , Ontario
Just my 2 cents worth, but I have been running the P235/75-15 108T rated Michelins on my 2007 31 Classic for 4 seasons without any issues, We are snowbirds and travel from Ontario to Texas every winter. These tires have been across the US once along with 3 Texas trips and several trips to the Maritime provinces. Total mileage is around 30 thousand (Yes miles) and the tires are only about 40 % worn from new. My trailer scales at 7600 lbs on the axles with weight distribution applied, ready to camp, and full fresh water and propane tanks . Run them at 50 PSI and never even think about speed restrictions. Usually run the posted limit, as high as 75 MPH on major interstates. Only need to add air about twice a year, and then only a couple of pounds. Trailer seems to ride smooth and no popped rivets that I have found. I can't seem to see the justification to go to stiffer 16 inch LT tires when I have had such good results with these tires. I am installing TPMS this year for some extra peace of mind. I will purchase a new set of the Defender version of this tire next year as my existing ones will then be 5 years old. I have gotten my moneys worth out of these tires and am pleased with their service. Andy Thompson at Can Am RV in London ON has installed several hundred of these tires on Airstreams with similar results.

Walter
Old 04-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
I guess I don't understand this concept. The tires don't know what kind of vehicle they are mounted on. If they are rated for X on a car, as long as the pressure is the same, why derate them?

Not trying to be difficult, just to understand.

Mike
Mike don't try to understand, it makes no sense and certainly flies in the face of practical proof by so many of us running these great tires on both the TV and the AS. All these people waiting for the Michelin Defender that in my opinion will never come since Michelin is covering this market segment with the LTX tire and the last thing they want to do is go through the certification process for a new product. The ST designation shouldn't even exist anymore with radial tires. This is not even an issue in the trucking industry

" Over analysis induces paralysis "
Old 05-04-2016, 05:10 PM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Actually the tires do know. Well sort of ...

The service on a passenger car versus a trailer is different.

The car has braking and acceleration forces on the tires. The car has steerable wheels in the front.
Most cars are used on a very frequent basis.
The loading of a tire on a car is frequently very consistent.
The loading on a car tire is usually far below the max load the tire is capable of handling
The load of a passenger car is typically the same when new until it is retired from service.

Trailer tires are subject to being pulled through a turn not steered on a multiple axle trailer.
Many trailer tires sit for long periods of time with out use.
Loading on trailer tires is usually unequal from front to rear and from side to side causing greater load stresses and stress peaks passenger car tires never see.
Most trailer tires are sized to be maxed out on load on initial installation.
Most travel trailers gain weight as they age.

There may be other reasons and these are the ones I can think about.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 05-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #27
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Running with 15" Michelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
I have a 28" International and I'm having a hard time justifying the jump to new 16" wheels/tires. If you have been running 15" Michelins on a similar size,weight trailer can you please give me some feedback.
It looks like the 15" tires should be okay with the trailer max, but it is somewhat close. I usually run around 6500lbs camp ready.
I have not heard any feedback on the new 15" Michelin Defender that was to come out this spring, any input?
I use the 15" Michelins on my FC 30, about 20,000 miles in past 3 years. No issues. Last CAT scale indicated 1,780 on TT tires, compared to de-rated 1,985 capacity. Even without the tire speed restriction, I don't go above 65 towing. I just don't feel safe towing at higher speeds than that.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:34 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Talking

Thanks for all the replies! I will be ordering new 15" Michelins next week and possibly some centramatics too.