Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-20-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Interesting...TPMS CAN be used on rubber stems?

Hi Team,

I purchased the TST System from Airstream Life at the International Rally. Figured I would have to get metal valve stems.

Just noticed on the box it says:

"EASY INSTALLATION"
"(FOR USE ON RUBBER OR METAL VALVE STEMS)"

Kind of surprised to see that on the outside of the box.

The caps do appear to be much lighter than my previous sets.
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Well....I wouldn't. Regardless.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
California , MD
Interesting....I brought an extra one for the spare tire and it is noticeably larger than the other 4. Appears not to be the same version as the ones in the kit.

Leads me to think TST feels comfortable making the rubber valve stem statement due to the reduced bulk of the sensor.
cru-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
Recently had 2 blowouts and had to use spare with rubber valve stem, TST sensor worked for a few miles and then went to "zero". I assume that it did not like the rubber stem. After tires were replaced and all had metal stems, I reinstalled the sensor and it worked fine.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I have 5000 miles on my TST system with stock rubber stems for what it’s worth. Metal is, I’m sure, a better idea and what I’ll do when replacing the tires.
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 04:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I tried mine on rubber stems. It became clear that the 'wobble' was causing them to rub the wheel rim. I went to metal stems.

Maybe they've made them smaller....I'd like to see a picture of your new ones.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Our TST worked with rubber stems for over15000 miles before we changed to metal stems when we got new tires. Below about 60mph towing speed the rubber stems did not seem to bend enough for the stems or sensors to rub on the wheels. Above 60mph, they did, eventually causing one rubber stem to chafe to the point that the internal brass insert was exposed, this needing immediate valve stem replacement.

My advice, keep your speed below 60mph if using TST with rubber stems.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 07:11 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Just had the spare wheel powder coated and a new GYE installed at GY....most important consideration, a high pressure metal core rubber coated stem.
Just 'cuz it looks like rubber does not mean it is.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_29c5.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	617.2 KB
ID:	350683  
Old 08-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Just had the spare wheel powder coated and a new GYE installed at GY....most important consideration, a high pressure metal core rubber coated stem.
Just 'cuz it looks like rubber does not mean it is.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Here is the problem with rubber core metal stems.....in my case, I had 3 of them flex and separate, not in the stem area, but at the rubber flange area where they mount to the rim. In other words, they split at the base of the stem. HP rubber doesn't fix that. All failed within 5 or 600 miles of each other in SW summer heat.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Gainesville , Florida
Sensor style matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
Hi Team,

I purchased the TST System from Airstream Life at the International Rally. Figured I would have to get metal valve stems.

"EASY INSTALLATION"

Looking at TST's website: Cap Style Sensors can work with either stem type. TST recommends metal valve stems for their Flow-Thru Style Sensors.

When you are swapping TT tires, it is critical that the tire shop install stems that meet the tire and sensor requirements.

Good Year Endurance tires require 'high pressure' valve stems. High Pressure Valve Stems can be metal or metal inserted rubber stems. I would strongly recommend anyone swapping tires to also make the switch to full metal stems at the same time.

Cheaper to do the job right the first time at the tire shop; I lost a GYE tire because the shop mistakenly installed low-pressure stems. In fixing this mess, my first action was to 'find a better tire shop'.

This is an important detail that should not be overlooked at tire replacement time. . .
Specsalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Yup. One of the very comforting things that happened when I had our local Sam’s Club install my 5 new GYE tires was their insistence on using high pressure stems.

They were also super careful jacking up the trailer and appreciated that I had it there early in the day and stayed hooked up. Even short staffed, they took their time and did it right.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:47 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Phoenix , Arizona
We put a TST System but bought the caps not the flow through sensors. On our ‘06, there is very little room on the wheel for the flow through style and an air chuck. We used the 4 year old rubber stems for the first 4000 miles w/o issue. The TST System found a slow leak in one of our old Marathon tire sidewall and saved us untold grief. Our new GYE has rubber stems because of the tight space. Robert Cross however brought up a good point. These maybe rubber coated metal, but they do flex enough to allow us to add air or check pressure.
Steve
SandKSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2021 Atlas
Charlotte , North Carolina
I ran the flow through TST for 7500 miles on rubber stems. Had one split at the rim on my last trip. Swapped out to the spare (also a rubber stem) and got a high pressure metal stem on the original to hold as a spare until I can swap all the stems out.

Would not run without TPMS and am happy with the TST. But my only failure has been a rubber stem. I will swap them on my terms so they don’t go out when i least want them to (like Christmas Eve when the last one went). Extra HP metal stems were less than $10 for 4.
LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:08 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
We ran TST non-flow thru sensors with the original rubber coated metal stems on our 2015 Classic for several thousand miles. These stems do flex. We found that they did not flex enough to contact the wheel rim below about 60mph which is my normal maximum towing speed, but on a trip out west where I increased my speed to 65mph, they flexed enough to contact the rims, eventually cutting the rubber on one stem to the point that the brass insert was exposed, though no loss of air occurred. At first opportunity after that incident we had the valve stems changed to the bolt in metal kind that do not flex. Note that this can be done by deflating the tire without removing it from the rim, so the change process is not as involved as it might seem.

If you run TST sensors with rubber stems, my advice would be to keep your speed below 60mph or change to bolt in metal stems. If the stems (or sensors) are rubbing on the wheels leaving "witness marks" you are flirting with danger. Watch for signs of rubbing on your wheels.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by cru-in View Post
Hi Team,

"EASY INSTALLATION"

This only applies to the cap sensors with the replaceable battery. Cap sensors without the replaceable battery and the flow through sensors all require metal stems.

Even so, I would opt for the metal stems even though it says for use with rubber or metal. Indeed, I would opt for metal stems even if I wasn't using TPMS as they are cheap insurance against valve stem failure. Blowouts on an AS are very inconvenient at best and extremely destructive to the AS at worst.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote