Old 09-11-2016, 12:18 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Ram View Post
Vinnie of Vinnies Notth Bay Repair who specializes in AS recommend 65lb. on the Mitchelin 22575r16E tires.
That's what I run in mine.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:31 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Penokee , Kansas
Same tires on our 72 Overlander. I run 35 psi cold year round.. The tires just show a little radial bulge and ride nice and stable..and smooth..
One has to remember back when radials first made the streets, everyone felt they were flat..
Would much better like using that pint extra of gas per tank full then rattle my A$ apart..

Old 09-11-2016, 01:10 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Tire dealers always seem to want to inflate tires to their sidewall max pressure, apparently wanting to avoid liability in the event of an accident where tire inflation is questioned.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
65lb is our number, a lot depends on what the roads your traveling on. Out here the interstate HWY on so bad in spot you just lose it sometime, at 65lb we don't have anything moving around inside.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 03:41 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Full-time traveling , Hmmmm. what day of the week is it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80Ram View Post
Vinnie of Vinnies Notth Bay Repair who specializes in AS recommend 65lb. on the Mitchelin 22575r16E tires.
Since I got my 16" wheels from Vinnie for the Mitchelins, I go with Vinnie's recommendation of 65 pounds cold. The tires can handle it and the ride for the AS is sooooo much more smooth.
JBBeaubeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:21 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Loden,

I like what that experienced tire repair person said. Keep those LT and P tires at sidewall max. Then go slow so you don't shake the trailer. Just wonder if you have to go slower than one would with ST tires!
Old 09-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU1981 View Post
I know the max inflation for this tire is 80 psi & with this it has a max load of 2,680 lbs.

AS owners that have this tire -- what P are you running at & why?

We are in Texas where it can get quite hot in the summer --- do you recommend a different ambient temp inflation in summer vs. winter?

We have a 2015 27FB FC that I am upgrading the 15" GYM's to this tire.

Thanks,

Glenn
My educated guess would be 80 PSI for E rated load 65 PSI for D rated load. The 27' trailer weight would fall in the D range.
At 80 PSI under a light load it will feel like riding on solid wheels.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:33 PM   #22
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
We looked at the Michelin load charts and chose 67 PSI cold for our 16" tires. It seems to work great - Rocinante tows like a dream, and when we reach our destination, the cushions, etc., are still where we left them. We also use Centramatics, which likely help with that.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
65 PSI per the placard on the side of the trailer.
Generally heat up to 70 PSI while traveling.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' International
Toronto , Ontario
Why Not To Inflate to Maximum Sidewall Pressure

Aside from the argument that you only need maximum tire pressure when fully loaded to the tires weight limit, I don't understand why so many people inflate their tires, cold, to the maximum indicated sidewall pressure.

Won't you be overinflated when travelling - approximately 1psi per 10 °F increase as the air temperature increases during the day and the tire temperature increases due to the rotation? Excessive pressure may lead to impact-breaks, decrease braking performance, and cause uneven wear.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Variation of Tire Pressure with Temperature.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	271551

Why not inflate to a lower cold pressure by calculating how much the pressure will increase during your travels to ensure that you aren't over inflated.

Personally, I have weighed my trailer axle and plan on a travelling pressure, taking into account the forecast air temperature and the increase in pressure, from rolling. I am familiar with the pressure increases from my TPMS readings and the ideal pressure is indicated for that weight on the GYM inflation table. There must be a similar table for Michelin tires.
WBCCI #6497

“One test is worth a thousand 'expert' opinions”
Sign at Boeing headquarters, posted by test pilot Alvin “Tex” Johnston, c1948
Adventure.AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:58 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
Aside from the argument that you only need maximum tire pressure when fully loaded to the tires weight limit, I don't understand why so many people inflate their tires, cold, to the maximum indicated sidewall pressure.

Won't you be overinflated when travelling - approximately 1psi per 10 °F increase as the air temperature increases during the day and the tire temperature increases due to the rotation? Excessive pressure may lead to impact-breaks, decrease braking performance, and cause uneven wear.

Attachment 271551

Why not inflate to a lower cold pressure by calculating how much the pressure will increase during your travels to ensure that you aren't over inflated.

Personally, I have weighed my trailer axle and plan on a travelling pressure, taking into account the forecast air temperature and the increase in pressure, from rolling. I am familiar with the pressure increases from my TPMS readings and the ideal pressure is indicated for that weight on the GYM inflation table. There must be a similar table for Michelin tires.
There has been much written here by tire experts relative to your questions. Search on forum member CapriRacer...he is a tire engineer.

Personally, I have tried 70, 75 and 80psi with my Michelin LTX M/S tires and have found NO difference in ride quality as judged by loose rivets, things shaking or moving around. I run 80 psi always now for the last 2 seasons. I have a 30' Classic with 7500 - 8000 pounds on the axles.

(BTW- pressure rise during the day has no bearing on how much to set your tires at relative to cold pressure setting. The sidewall cold max pressure accounts for a normal 10% or so rise due to tire flexing....it will be somewhat more than 10% when accounting for ambient temperature rise during the day as well as sun loads. I typically see about 12% rise...and a bit more on the sunny side. This rise is pretty much the same at 70, 75 or 80psi in my particular case)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #26

2017 25' International
Moses Lake , Washington
I own a auto service / tire shop in Moses Lake Wa. What you have are pickup tires. I would check with your local tire shop and get prices on ST radial trailer tires. Pickup tires and trailer tires are not the same. We will not install LT tires on any trailer per liability issues and customer safety.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS25 View Post
I own a auto service / tire shop in Moses Lake Wa. What you have are pickup tires. I would check with your local tire shop and get prices on ST radial trailer tires. Pickup tires and trailer tires are not the same. We will not install LT tires on any trailer per liability issues and customer safety.
This has also been discussed at great length. Perhaps you aren't aware that AS (and maybe others), are supplying LT tires as standard and optional equipment on many models from the factory?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 09:39 AM   #28
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
This has also been discussed at great length. Perhaps you aren't aware that AS (and maybe others), are supplying LT tires as standard and optional equipment on many models from the factory?
I'm with you, but it's his shop and he can do what he likes there.

I will also say that after the scary experience we had setting our previous GYM ST tires to 65 cold and then running them thru the Mojave, we would never do that again.

As others have noted above, we use the Michelin-provided load tables for the tire featured in this thread to determine our optimal cold pressure. We'll trust Michelin's load tables over any opinions presented here, thanks.

Rocinante is online now   Reply With Quote