Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2015, 11:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I would like some tire help

We own a 1992 29' Excella that we purchased in 2012. I replaced the tires in July 2013 at a Les Schawb while on a trip out west. They put on some off brand "TowMax STR", the two tires on the curb side blew this month at about mile marker 90 as we were driving down to the lower keys. I had to take what I could get at that point, a brand called "Double King". I'm running 15" 225 R75 ST.

What I need is some good - dependable rubber and I'm looking for advice. We do a lot of driving. For instance we'll be heading back to Virginia from here (Key West), and then in October we'll head out to Albuquerque, NM for the Balloon Festival and then onto Palm Springs, CA for the holidays. In January we'll leave Palm Springs traveling around the southwest during the winter until we head back to Virginia in April of 2016. So yeah, we need some dependable tires.

We also sustained damage to the AS (pictures below). The rear lower backside of the steel wheel well has a broken weld, the aluminum wheel well trim piece is bent, and the rounded aluminum panel behind the wheel well is crushed and torn. Our water heater door was also torn off. My DW found the door, but not the hinge. Which forum should I use to discuss this damage and get advice on locating a good place to take our AS for the exterior repairs? Is there a place in Florida?

Is anyone familiar with Out Of Doors Mart in North Carolina and their AS repair capability? I've tried speaking with them by phone, but have only played phone tag so far. I could drop the AS there for repairs on the way back to VA if they are qualified.

Thanks,
Pete

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150317_154105.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	235125 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150320_104045.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	305.5 KB
ID:	235126
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ouch!

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:59 PM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Well. You have experienced the catastrophic failure. There are volumes here on the forum to read on this and the tires that are prone to such failures. I think the best remedy for this is to upgrade to 16" wheels and go for the Michelin's. I did it last year and have not looked back. When I removed my 4 GYM's that were on their 4th season and looked great one had already begun to fail on the inside where the tread is joining the sidewalls so I got it just in time. Catastrophic failure was gonna happen for me.

Go for it and don't look back.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry to see that and hear about your tire troubles.

What's the total weight of your trailer loaded for camping? I use the 15" Michelin which carries up to 7940# for 4 tires (derated because they are passenger tires, not LT). Loaded for camping my trailer sees about 5800# so in addition to the 10% derating I still have plenty of headroom (some of the tire engineers here suggest 15%).

If not - then upgrading to 16" wheels/tires may make sense.

There are LOTS of threads in the forums about this. Try a Google search - you'll find several that have lots of info. Good luck!!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:26 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Currently Looking...
Felton , California
I, too am facing replacement of 5 year old GYM with sidewall showing earlt tread separation. These have barely 5k miles on them and meticulously maintained. Seeing the discussions about upping to 16" rims and tires, I also see a 2" diameter increase in the new set up. How does that work for you? It does not feel overly spacious now with the 15's.
Paulizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
With all the discussions regarding tires on the forum are AS engineers/management in Jackson Center aware of the apparent challenges with the tires they are installing on these expensive trailers?

Is there a warranty on the tires?

Any discussion on upgrading the tires in the future?
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #7
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Doesn't sound to me like a problem inherent with TowMax STR tires. I have several friends that run some flavor of TowMax tires and have not had any issues. I would venture to guess that you ran over something that resulted in both curb-side tires blowing out.

Here we go again.
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
For 15" rims try Yokohama RY 215 or Y 742s.

Both are LT tires rated at over 2,000 pounds per tire.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Usually when you get that type of failure it is due to a loss of air as you drive down the highway. I will let others address the repair questions but I would strongly suggest some insurance in the form of a TPM system. With this warning device you have a good chance of learning about air loss before the tire is destroyed and damage is done to the RV. If caught early enough you might even save the tire if it is a simple puncture or valve related leak.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Doesn't sound to me like a problem inherent with TowMax STR tires. I have several friends that run some flavor of TowMax tires and have not had any issues. I would venture to guess that you ran over something that resulted in both curb-side tires blowing out.

Here we go again.
Thanks to everyone so far, but I singled out PaulnGina because I wanted to address the blowout.

That morning I noticed that the front curb side tire looked a bit weird. Trying to describe it, the best I can come up with is that rather looking flat across the tread (side to side), the tread surface looked bowed or rounded side to side, making the tire look donut shaped in appearance, but not quite as pronounced as that. Anyway, I even pointed it out to my DW, but the tread did not seem unusually worn along the insides. My guess now is that it may have been delaminating. At that time, I was pretty sure it was failing and mentioned to her that I'd look into replacing it when we got home, but since the tread looked good and knowing next to nothing about tires I did not expect it to go so quick. Nor did I think it would take out the other tire tire as well.

The tire guy confirmed that the front tire blew first and the pressure of the burst caused the rear tire to pop as well. I did not include this information in my initial post to keep it as brief as possible.

BTW, where is the best place to post about repairing my exterior damages? The Exterior Restorations forum possibly? Suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 03-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Usually when you get that type of failure it is due to a loss of air as you drive down the highway. I will let others address the repair questions but I would strongly suggest some insurance in the form of a TPM system. With this warning device you have a good chance of learning about air loss before the tire is destroyed and damage is done to the RV. If caught early enough you might even save the tire if it is a simple puncture or valve related leak.
As a matter of fact, I was using the the TST TPM system. There was no previous air loss. Pressures and temps had been looking good. When I heard the blowout it took me a second or two to react. When the front tire blew it broke the metal valve stem and blew the sensor to who knows where, I believe the warning beep I got was from the rear tire going flat, because the TPM was still intact on that tire. I can't say for sure I'm right, but the scenario went something like this: First I heard the blowout, then two or three seconds later the monitor began beeping. I did not have time to read the monitor, I was in traffic on US1 and immediately began looking for a safe place to pull off the highway, keeping in mind I needed to have safe access to my wheels, etc. Hind sight, I wish I had had the composure to look at my monitor.

Pete
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 03-30-2015, 01:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The cool thing about that damage is that it appears mostly confined to the painted portions of your trailer.

If it was my trailer I would straighten and repair the existing metal, use a little body filler and paint.

Buy the trim and the door you need to replace and call it a day for not a pile of cash.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Report the tires to NHTSA and send TowMax the repair bill.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:39 AM   #14
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Re-Pete
This tire would work very well for you unless you travel with an anvil collection.
Michelin LTX M/S2 P235/75/15XL

The Yokohama RY215 that J. Morgan suggested is also a good choice.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I cannot answer your tire questions, but I work just a few miles from Out-Of-Doors Mart in Greensboro, NC. They do have a very competent repair facility. They even do full restorations there. I think they get a bad rap sometimes because of their aggressive sales techniques, but the owners are good people and the guys back in the service area are top notch. They are certainly capable of fixing any damage.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
If you go to walmarts website, marathon is the only tire that has no reviews.
Partners in crime.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Ha!

Partners in crime. Good one!

Pete,
I just threw my GYM tires into the ditch this weekend. I bought 4 new 16" rims and Michelin MS2's E rated. I will be headed to Phoenix in May, then up to UT & CO. 3 weeks out W total. You're putting a good chunk of miles on your rig. I was very concerned about heat. IMHO, trailer tires are far more susceptible to heat.
I'm a big advocate of "Set it & forget it." Get the Michelins and be done with the issue. Worry free travel is priceless to me. I'm still a few years from retirement, so spending my vacation time on the side of the road dealing with some POS tire is not an option. Ask any tire guy in a shop for his opinion about Michelin tires. I have had nothing but them on my TV's for many years. Here's a photo of the old & new going on. SO worth the $. Safe travels to you & your family.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	235182  
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
With all the discussions regarding tires on the forum are AS engineers/management in Jackson Center aware of the apparent challenges with the tires they are installing on these expensive trailers?

Is there a warranty on the tires?

Any discussion on upgrading the tires in the future?
When I was switching tires and wheels on a previous 30' AS I called and emailed the factory about the Goodyear tires and my intent to switch to the Michelin LT tires, and go to 16". I got a phone response as well as an email response, several in fact. All said the Michelins were on the Eddie Baur model and worked fine, BUT, they also said the Goodyears were fine tires.

Corporate speak. AS has no corporate relationship with Michelin, at least at the time I was switching tires out, I asked and was told they bought the tires and wheels from a local tire dealer. Goodyear is a corporate relationship. There are warranties, but not from AS, only from Goodyear. Michelin dealers may or may not accept a tire failure on the AS as the product is not specified by Michelin to be used on a TT.

When we ordered our 2015 30' FC AS we did so with 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires and we got them installed by the factory. No issues, only had to convince our selling dealer that AS would do this on a new FC.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Tempe , Arizona
Tires

Michelin, they are costly but they Golden. I have used about every tire brand on the market. All of them have had Catastrophic failure. I switched to Michelin's about 2003. They wear out, they do not blowout. I just had six put on my Land Yacht.
lstepp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
I am going to replace the tires on my 25' Safari, and I am thinking about the Carlisle Tires from Discount Tire. I want a Load Range E, which should give me plenty of extra strength. Discount says the Carlisle Tire has been redesigned and they have had very little problems with the new tire. They preferred it over the Maxxis. Wondering if this is true, anyone had a good or bad experience with this tire? Thanks!
dfschultz is offline   Reply With Quote