Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2015, 12:01 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Whoa

Originally Posted by Tireman9
Too many RV owners want to claim that their tire is "defective" but the only evidence they have is a failed tire. I have never seen anyone on any of the 5 RV forums I monitor present any evidence of a manufacturing defect.

A bit over the top with that post Tireman. Really? "ANYONE?"

You lost ALL credibility with me making that statemement. I hope you didn't post that same statement on the 4 other forums you monitor. Your inbox is gonna be pretty full if you did. Sounds to me like you let your employer influence your words. Facts should influence your wisdom, not frustration in dealing with a poor product.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sorry but I have seen CR issue different ratings for identical tires. Their recent tire comparison of a few months ago where they compared $200 tires to $85 grey market tires shows they have no idea how to do a clean and technically sound comparison.

Understandable.
I feel their rating of home appliances suffers, too.
GE clothes washer rated at the bottom, matching GE dryer rated tops-
What do you do? Get a mismatched pair to get the best? LG washer and a Samsung dryer?
Go figure.
I still believe Michelins are the best tires, regardless of what Consumer Reports says.
Consumer Reports exists to help save the consumer from throwing money away. You have to have a general idea of which way to go for reasonable assurance that you are getting a good product for your hard earned money. It beats not knowing at all and getting burned/learning an expensive lesson-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
Understandable.
I feel their rating of home appliances suffers, too.
GE clothes washer rated at the bottom, matching GE dryer rated tops-
What do you do? Get a mismatched pair to get the best? LG washer and a Samsung dryer?
Go figure.
I still believe Michelins are the best tires, regardless of what Consumer Reports says.
Consumer Reports exists to help save the consumer from throwing money away. You have to have a general idea of which way to go for reasonable assurance that you are getting a good product for your hard earned money. It beats not knowing at all and getting burned/learning an expensive lesson-

France makes the best tires and nuke plants.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Please.

On your website there are pictures of an ST tire that pretty obviously has a defect or two. I know a little about this tire because I TOOK THE PICTURES!
That picture looks like a brand new ST tire that was on my camper when I first bought it. I drove into a dead end street and had to make a U-turn and the belt in the tread broke. I then put on LT tires and went into a parking lot and went around and around in circles both ways trying to hurt the tires. The only thing that happened was 2 hubcaps come off. All the tires were LRD and my camper weighs 7k. I guess you should derate ST tires 50% and limit your speed to 50mph if you want any kind of reliability.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:42 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wonder if it is possible to cover the 10,000# GVW or 8,800# ready-to-camp weight of my trailer with 15" truck tires. If it is not possible I will switch to 16" wheels. Basically, I guess my question is: Are there any Load Range E 15" tires?

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:12 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
If they are out there, I couldn't find em.
Michelins have a Cadillac price tag, but ya get whatya pay for.
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....5G26&tab=Specs
Old 04-02-2015, 06:29 PM   #48
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
The GoodYear Cargo G26 is a good choice, and available.

There is also the Nokian Rotiiva AT 235/75/15 116S #2,760 but not easy to find.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #49
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Why the excuses for ST tires,,,, LT tires run under the same condition and don't explode like ST tires often do. Do you actually think there are not any defective ST tires?
Don't think I have ever made the statement that defective tires have never been made.

My point is that simply because a tire failed or has a separation does not automatically mean there was either a design or manufacturing defect.

A couple of examples come quickly to mind:

If a tire is rated for 1750# at 80 psi and 65 mph max speed but is operated at 70 psi for hundreds of miles or at 1880# load for thousands of miles or at 70 mph for hundreds of miles and it failed after three years service, would you consider the tire defective?

Tire defects normally show up at very early life. lets say the wrong rubber was used around the steel belts as in one case I investigated. In this case the tires show indications of failure in less than 200 miles.

There is no such thing as a "fail proof" tire. My position is; If you want to claim a product is defective then you should be able to point to the actual defect i.e. the part that was the wrong material or the wrong dimension or had some form of contamination. Simply saying the product failed makes no more sense than saying you should never go to a hospital because lots of people die when at a hospital.

Correlation does not support Causation. If this concept is not something you are familiar with then you might find the following links educational.

RationalWiki
HowstuffWorks
ScienceOr Not

I believe that a number of tires fail on RV trailers. I also believe that a very large portion of ST type tires are made outside the USA. Also a majority of trailers have ST type tires on them. Also a large percentage of trailers travel faster than 65 mph or have one or more tires underloaded or overloaded.
So there is a good correlation between tires failing on trailers and those tires being made outside the USA. BUT just as the example in Scienceor Not points out, you can claim that 100% of people who don't breath will die and yet 100% of the people who breath will die.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:42 AM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Please.

On your website there are pictures of an ST tire that pretty obviously has a defect or two. I know a little about this tire because I TOOK THE PICTURES!

It seems we are back to the assumption that tire failure is in itself proof of a tire defect.
There is no question in my mind that your tires had failed. My experience leads me to the conclusion that the rubber between the two steel belts has torn and is the location of the separation. If I had the tires the next step in the investigation would be to cut the tires and examine the belt rubber to either support my hypothesis or refute it.

Assuming a cut examination confirms my hypothesis, What we do not know is why the rubber is torn.
Questions that need answered before we jump to the conclusion of WHY the rubber is torn might be....
Was the compound not the correct compound?
Was it the correct compound but not mixed completely?
Had the tire been overheated which can cause the suffer cross links to break down?
Had the tire been subjected to overload lateral force which caused the interply shear to exceed the shear force of the belt rubber?

Note this is not a complete list of what needs to be learned through detailed examination of the evidence.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #51
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
Originally Posted by Tireman9
Too many RV owners want to claim that their tire is "defective" but the only evidence they have is a failed tire. I have never seen anyone on any of the 5 RV forums I monitor present any evidence of a manufacturing defect.

A bit over the top with that post Tireman. Really? "ANYONE?"

You lost ALL credibility with me making that statemement. I hope you didn't post that same statement on the 4 other forums you monitor. Your inbox is gonna be pretty full if you did. Sounds to me like you let your employer influence your words. Facts should influence your wisdom, not frustration in dealing with a poor product.
Gavin
Gavin Sorry to disappoint but maybe if you read posts 49 & 50 in this thread you will have a better understanding of where I am coming from.

RE my ex-employer as I am retired.
Sorry to report that I am personally responsible for discovering and initiating at least one tire recall based on my personal examination of 4 tires. I had the facts and evidence. I showed it to the powers that be and they initiated the recall of some 8,000 tires. The recall was not based on the fact the 4 tires had failed but that there was an identifiable defect (incorrect rubber used on steel belts). No tire had failed and caused any damage or accidents. There were no "blowouts".

If you think "anyone" here on AS forum has done a detailed failed cut tire examination please point me to the post so I can learn. I will be more than willing to admit my mistake but I too need facts.

You might find the posts on my RVTire blog informational.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
That picture looks like a brand new ST tire that was on my camper when I first bought it. I drove into a dead end street and had to make a U-turn and the belt in the tread broke. I then put on LT tires and went into a parking lot and went around and around in circles both ways trying to hurt the tires. The only thing that happened was 2 hubcaps come off. All the tires were LRD and my camper weighs 7k. I guess you should derate ST tires 50% and limit your speed to 50mph if you want any kind of reliability.

OK and did you file a complaint with NHTSA? All to often the only complaint anyone makes is around a campfire or on a forum thread. There are tire recalls and NHTSA can force tire and RV companies to replace truely defective product but before they can take any action they need actionable complaints on file. That means with vehicle VIN and tire DOT code and facts. BUT few RV owners seem inclined to file complaints as the reality is that there are only a handful of complaints each year and many of those are incomplete or just full of errors to make then useless.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I wonder if it is possible to cover the 10,000# GVW or 8,800# ready-to-camp weight of my trailer with 15" truck tires. If it is not possible I will switch to 16" wheels. Basically, I guess my question is: Are there any Load Range E 15" tires?

If I were you, and I was, I checked and checked and found no 15" tire I had confidence in nor one I liked the manufacturer of that I wanted to put our 30' AS on. So, we switched out our last 30' FC with 16" wheels and 16" Michelin LTs. Then when we ordered this 2015 30' FC we had the factory put them on. Just took it to the dealer about 150 miles round trip after sitting all winter and it rides as nice as we remembered. 10,000# is a lot of weight per wheel for any 15" tire. Many will say it's fine, and in fact it probably is, but I like to overkill on certain things and tires are one of those things.

A local tire dealer should be able to help, OR you can make a visit to the factory and they will install them, wheel and all.

Best of Luck.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I would like some tire help

Quote:

I've seen load range E ST tires in 15" but not LT. The Goodyear Cargo 26 in 15 is a full D (2540#/ea) so 10,160# if you're a double axle (15,000+ if a triple).

They're a smaller aspect ratio and therefore maybe an inch or more lower than STs. Probably a good option to consider.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:41 AM   #55
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Step off the high horse

Quote:
It seems we are back to the assumption that tire failure is in itself proof of a tire defect.
There is no question in my mind that your tires had failed. My experience leads me to the conclusion that the rubber between the two steel belts has torn and is the location of the separation. If I had the tires the next step in the investigation would be to cut the tires and examine the belt rubber to either support my hypothesis or refute it.

Assuming a cut examination confirms my hypothesis, What we do not know is why the rubber is torn.
Questions that need answered before we jump to the conclusion of WHY the rubber is torn might be....
Was the compound not the correct compound?
Was it the correct compound but not mixed completely?
Had the tire been overheated which can cause the suffer cross links to break down?
Had the tire been subjected to overload lateral force which caused the interply shear to exceed the shear force of the belt rubber?

Note this is not a complete list of what needs to be learned through detailed examination of the evidence.
The pictures of that tire I took, that you have on your website, belonged to a customer. If I recall correctly, they were Powerking Towmax ST225/75/15 LRD. I would never use or recommend ST tires to anyone. They were less than a year old if I'm not mistaken. I found this defective ST tires while doing routine axle/brake service. He took it to the tire shop where he purchased it and they gave him a new tire. I stressed to him that ST tires are known to do those sorts of things and I suggested he switch to LT tires of the proper capacity. He stayed with the ST tires. Well, for a while anyway. Two months later-
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	235565Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	235566

He now has GoodYear Wrangler HT LT215/75/15 LRD tires on his trailer.

I have found a good use for ST tires-
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	1202
Size:	231.4 KB
ID:	235568

Old 04-04-2015, 10:56 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
OK and did you file a complaint with NHTSA? All to often the only complaint anyone makes is around a campfire or on a forum thread. There are tire recalls and NHTSA can force tire and RV companies to replace truely defective product but before they can take any action they need actionable complaints on file. That means with vehicle VIN and tire DOT code and facts. BUT few RV owners seem inclined to file complaints as the reality is that there are only a handful of complaints each year and many of those are incomplete or just full of errors to make then useless.
I didn't know I could file a complaint at the time. I didn't buy the tires originally. I unloaded them on craigslist to a happy guy that wanted st tires. Don't you wonder why people with LT tires don't have the problems the ST owners have?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #57
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
I didn't know I could file a complaint at the time. I didn't buy the tires originally. I unloaded them on craigslist to a happy guy that wanted st tires. Don't you wonder why people with LT tires don't have the problems the ST owners have?
You don't have to be the original purchaser to file a complaint HERE.

RE fewer reported problems with LT. I would offer two possible facts that contribute to a lower failure rate.
1. The owner has now learned the importance of proper Load, Inflation and inspection of the tires.

2. LT tires in RV application have a 75 mph Max Speed rating rather then the often exceeded 65 mph limit for ST type tires.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Fresno , California
FYI
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...erTireFacts.do
bullet661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #59
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
You don't have to be the original purchaser to file a complaint HERE.

RE fewer reported problems with LT. I would offer two possible facts that contribute to a lower failure rate.
1. The owner has now learned the importance of proper Load, Inflation and inspection of the tires.

2. LT tires in RV application have a 75 mph Max Speed rating rather then the often exceeded 65 mph limit for ST type tires.
Can you cite the reference for #2 please? I'd be interested to read that.

Old 04-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Can you cite the reference for #2 please? I'd be interested to read that.
Can you show us a reference that supports replacing Original Equipment ST tires with LT tires? All of the major LT tire manufacturers see that as a misapplication of their tires.

BA
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote