Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Carlisle

I haven't looked at the Carliles in awhile. I would think that's what Discount Tire is trying to sell. I have had very good luck with Maxxis tires tho. Had them on my 25' Shamrock that I just sold. They were the first set of Maxxis I had ever owned.
Unfortunately I only got to put about a thousand miles on them. I had done a ton of research about them tho, and there are many happy campers per se with the Maxxis brand. Most reviews I read were either boat trailer tires, or commercial trailers. I never had any issues with the set of four I had. Even tread wear, pretty tough sidewall, and they held their air well.
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:00 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Smith Mountain Lake , Virginia
I switched to 16" rims and Michelin LT with E load rating on our 1968 22' Safari a couple of years ago. Have been cross country and many short trips with never a significant rise in temp. Worth the peace of mind. - especially on a single axle.
As for ODM, I have used them a good deal over the last five years, including a major restoration body work after being hit on the side by an SUV out of control. They have great techs and have given me alot of good repair advice for a vintage AS. Highly recommend them and I travel about 100 miles to take it down there when needed.
EscapePod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 02:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
We own a 1992 29' Excella that we purchased in 2012. I replaced the tires in July 2013 at a Les Schawb while on a trip out west. They put on some off brand "TowMax STR", the two tires on the curb side blew this month at about mile marker 90 as we were driving down to the lower keys. I had to take what I could get at that point, a brand called "Double King". I'm running 15" 225 R75 ST.

What I need is some good - dependable rubber and I'm looking for advice. We do a lot of driving. For instance we'll be heading back to Virginia from here (Key West), and then in October we'll head out to Albuquerque, NM for the Balloon Festival and then onto Palm Springs, CA for the holidays. In January we'll leave Palm Springs traveling around the southwest during the winter until we head back to Virginia in April of 2016. So yeah, we need some dependable tires.

We also sustained damage to the AS (pictures below). The rear lower backside of the steel wheel well has a broken weld, the aluminum wheel well trim piece is bent, and the rounded aluminum panel behind the wheel well is crushed and torn. Our water heater door was also torn off. My DW found the door, but not the hinge. Which forum should I use to discuss this damage and get advice on locating a good place to take our AS for the exterior repairs? Is there a place in Florida?

Is anyone familiar with Out Of Doors Mart in North Carolina and their AS repair capability? I've tried speaking with them by phone, but have only played phone tag so far. I could drop the AS there for repairs on the way back to VA if they are qualified.

Thanks,
Pete

Attachment 235125 Attachment 235126
I've been dealing with ODM for more than 20 years. If they tell me they can make a repair, I trust them to do it. They have always treated me right and I have always been happy with their work.

I had similar damage to that shown in your photo. I was able to replace the belly wrap myself. It's not a big deal if you have proper tools and a place to work.

When I was at the Airstream factory in 2010 I looked at the tires they offered for replacements in Airstream's service department. One of them was Tow Max STR. The following spring I had a local dealer installed a full set on my Safari. I normally check air pressure before I leave each day I travel. I also visually check and kick the tires to check inflation has not softened, every time I stop (every 2-3 hours) while traveling. I have not had any problem with them ~8,000 miles and 4+ years of towing. I will replace these next year with the same when they are 5 years old, even though they will have 75% of the tread left. I would recommend the Tow Max tires to a friend.

Those Tow Max STR tires have a roadside assistance warranty. You should have taken advantage of the warranty.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
This weekend I replaced the 15" stock wheels and GYM tires with 16" Sendel T03 wheels and 16" Michelin tires the same as the ones on the new Eddie Bower models. I did experience a blow out on the previous set of GYM'S in the summer heat 5 years ago. I replaced all 4 tires at that time with GYM'S because of cost. The GYM'S I just replaced had about 20,000 miles on them and showed lots of wear. Most of the travel with this set was in cooler weather. In the summer heat, I kept the speed under 60 MPH due to concern about another blow out.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 10:21 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Currently Looking...
Felton , California
Today I packed my. 2 GYMs in the truck and went to visit my local Goodyear dealer. Both tires of my 2010 Bambi had a barely visible crack showing tread separating on the inside sidewall. No blowout so I had all the evidence. The dealer agreed. I showed him the 6 year warranty on GYMs and even though mine are 5 1/2 years old, I got a 70 % credit based on remaining tread. No argument at all about over load or under inflation. So, I have 2 new GYMs, another six year warranty and road hazard coverage for a small outlay of cash. Granted, I'll be checking often for any signs of failure. Sigh. Wish he had turned me down so Mama would let me get the Maxxis.
Paulizor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 04:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfschultz View Post
I am going to replace the tires on my 25' Safari, and I am thinking about the Carlisle Tires from Discount Tire. I want a Load Range E, which should give me plenty of extra strength. Discount says the Carlisle Tire has been redesigned and they have had very little problems with the new tire. They preferred it over the Maxxis. Wondering if this is true, anyone had a good or bad experience with this tire? Thanks!
The operative word from the dealer is "very little problems". Are the problems with towing boats, TT, AS? From personal experience and the experience of many on this forum I would take another look at Michelin LT Load rated E. I used to use Carlisle tires in our business, dropped them due to poor performance (not on trailers).
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulizor View Post
Today I packed my. 2 GYMs in the truck and went to visit my local Goodyear dealer. Both tires of my 2010 Bambi had a barely visible crack showing tread separating on the inside sidewall. No blowout so I had all the evidence. The dealer agreed. I showed him the 6 year warranty on GYMs and even though mine are 5 1/2 years old, I got a 70 % credit based on remaining tread. No argument at all about over load or under inflation. So, I have 2 new GYMs, another six year warranty and road hazard coverage for a small outlay of cash. Granted, I'll be checking often for any signs of failure. Sigh. Wish he had turned me down so Mama would let me get the Maxxis.
You still can by dumping the Marathabombs on craigslist.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfschultz View Post
I am going to replace the tires on my 25' Safari, and I am thinking about the Carlisle Tires from Discount Tire. I want a Load Range E, which should give me plenty of extra strength. Discount says the Carlisle Tire has been redesigned and they have had very little problems with the new tire. They preferred it over the Maxxis. Wondering if this is true, anyone had a good or bad experience with this tire? Thanks!
Oh no! Please don't!
I had Carlisle tires on an sob- the worst tires ever. I'll never be convinced that the tires are "new and improved" and have no issues.
I will either get Michelin 15's or switch to 16" wheels and tires.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
You still can by dumping the Marathabombs on craigslist.
I forgot to add, (and buy some real tires).
Old 03-31-2015, 08:40 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Hey I got lucky with my marathabombs. I posted 'em on CL, and here. Within 2 hours I had them sold for $375. Mine did have <1000 miles on 'em.

Sometimes...ya just gotta love CL. Sure made me a happy camper.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #31
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinHatteras View Post
Partners in crime. Good one!

Pete,
I just threw my GYM tires into the ditch this weekend. I bought 4 new 16" rims and Michelin MS2's E rated. I will be headed to Phoenix in May, then up to UT & CO. 3 weeks out W total. You're putting a good chunk of miles on your rig. I was very concerned about heat. IMHO, trailer tires are far more susceptible to heat.
I'm a big advocate of "Set it & forget it." Get the Michelins and be done with the issue. Worry free travel is priceless to me. I'm still a few years from retirement, so spending my vacation time on the side of the road dealing with some POS tire is not an option. Ask any tire guy in a shop for his opinion about Michelin tires. I have had nothing but them on my TV's for many years. Here's a photo of the old & new going on. SO worth the $. Safe travels to you & your family.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
Sorry but "Set it & forget it." is not a good policy for tires. Unless you are 100% certain you will never drive over a nail or hit a rock and know for certain you will never have a valve leak as some people do you are simply asking for trouble.
Too many RV owners want to claim that their tire is "defective" but the only evidence they have is a failed tire. I have never seen anyone on any of the 5 RV forums I monitor present any evidence of a manufacturing defect. On the other hand I have documented failures on AS due to air loss more than once.
Have to wonder. If you checked the engine oil & water when you bought your TV have you ever checked them another time? What about those monitors on your dash... Did you remove them too? If not why not? Doesn't your check it and forget it apply to the engine too?
Old 04-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Looking to replace the overseas brand tires than came on my 1954 FC with something better. Current tires still look fine and made the 800 mile trip from AZ to TX without incident but they are 7 years old so prudence dictates replacement.
Consensus seems to be Michelin LTX MS2 (truck) tires as opposed to GYM, Carlisle or other ST type tires?
Any contrary opinions?
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:50 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Don't think there will be any contrary opinions. I might get some Firestone or some other less expensive than Michelin Load Range E 8 or 10 ply truck tires-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Well

Tireman,
I think I should have said "Come correct or don't come at all". That clearly states my intention. "Don't send a boy to do a mans job" is another one that comes to mind. I am more than willing to spend the extra dough on a quality tire such as a Michelin, than one I have to constantly worry about failing & potentially causing phyiscal damage to my trailer. Every set of Michelins I have ever owned, have worn out, not blown out. Not saying I don't have to monitor them at all.
My remarks are misleading, but the intention is the same: Quality product= piece of mind.
And yes, I do all of my own maintenance. I am no stranger to a wrench. I was a mechanic in the military.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:00 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I don't think I would be constantly worried about Bridgestone or Firestone tires failing. I might not worry about Cooper, Kuhmo, or Yokohama tires failing.
I do agree that Michelins are the best. Consumer Reports rates them #1 also.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 04-01-2015, 06:07 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
While I can't speak to the tire issues, I can speak to Out of Doors Mart. They have done work on our Sovereign and we were completely satisfied. We just dropped it back off yesterday to redo our floor and a few other things. Contact Mike in the service department.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
Looking to replace the overseas brand tires than came on my 1954 FC with something better. Current tires still look fine and made the 800 mile trip from AZ to TX without incident but they are 7 years old so prudence dictates replacement.
Consensus seems to be Michelin LTX MS2 (truck) tires as opposed to GYM, Carlisle or other ST type tires?
Any contrary opinions?
Just be sure you:
1. Know the actual load on your tires
2. Don't guess that your axles are loaded 50/50 side to side
3. Consult the tire company Load/Inflation tables to know the MINIMUM pressure needed to carry the load
4. Set your TPMS warning level at the pressure in #3
5. To minimize the Interply Shear run the pressure on the tire sidewall which should be higher than the pressure in #3
Old 04-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #38
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I don't think I would be constantly worried about Bridgestone or Firestone tires failing. I might not worry about Cooper, Kuhmo, or Yokohama tires failing.
I do agree that Michelins are the best. Consumer Reports rates them #1 also.

Sorry but I have seen CR issue different ratings for identical tires. Their recent tire comparison of a few months ago where they compared $200 tires to $85 grey market tires shows they have no idea how to do a clean and technically sound comparison.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sorry but "Set it & forget it." is not a good policy for tires. Unless you are 100% certain you will never drive over a nail or hit a rock and know for certain you will never have a valve leak as some people do you are simply asking for trouble.
Too many RV owners want to claim that their tire is "defective" but the only evidence they have is a failed tire. I have never seen anyone on any of the 5 RV forums I monitor present any evidence of a manufacturing defect. On the other hand I have documented failures on AS due to air loss more than once.
Why the excuses for ST tires,,,, LT tires run under the same condition and don't explode like ST tires often do. Do you actually think there are not any defective ST tires?
Old 04-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #40
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
C'mon man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Too many RV owners want to claim that their tire is "defective" but the only evidence they have is a failed tire. I have never seen anyone on any of the 5 RV forums I monitor present any evidence of a manufacturing defect.
Please.

On your website there are pictures of an ST tire that pretty obviously has a defect or two. I know a little about this tire because I TOOK THE PICTURES!

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote