Old 03-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
I cannot answer your tire questions, but I work just a few miles from Out-Of-Doors Mart in Greensboro, NC. They do have a very competent repair facility. They even do full restorations there. I think they get a bad rap sometimes because of their aggressive sales techniques, but the owners are good people and the guys back in the service area are top notch. They are certainly capable of fixing any damage.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
If you go to walmarts website, marathon is the only tire that has no reviews.
Partners in crime.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Ha!

Partners in crime. Good one!

Pete,
I just threw my GYM tires into the ditch this weekend. I bought 4 new 16" rims and Michelin MS2's E rated. I will be headed to Phoenix in May, then up to UT & CO. 3 weeks out W total. You're putting a good chunk of miles on your rig. I was very concerned about heat. IMHO, trailer tires are far more susceptible to heat.
I'm a big advocate of "Set it & forget it." Get the Michelins and be done with the issue. Worry free travel is priceless to me. I'm still a few years from retirement, so spending my vacation time on the side of the road dealing with some POS tire is not an option. Ask any tire guy in a shop for his opinion about Michelin tires. I have had nothing but them on my TV's for many years. Here's a photo of the old & new going on. SO worth the $. Safe travels to you & your family.
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	235182  
Old 03-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
With all the discussions regarding tires on the forum are AS engineers/management in Jackson Center aware of the apparent challenges with the tires they are installing on these expensive trailers?

Is there a warranty on the tires?

Any discussion on upgrading the tires in the future?
When I was switching tires and wheels on a previous 30' AS I called and emailed the factory about the Goodyear tires and my intent to switch to the Michelin LT tires, and go to 16". I got a phone response as well as an email response, several in fact. All said the Michelins were on the Eddie Baur model and worked fine, BUT, they also said the Goodyears were fine tires.

Corporate speak. AS has no corporate relationship with Michelin, at least at the time I was switching tires out, I asked and was told they bought the tires and wheels from a local tire dealer. Goodyear is a corporate relationship. There are warranties, but not from AS, only from Goodyear. Michelin dealers may or may not accept a tire failure on the AS as the product is not specified by Michelin to be used on a TT.

When we ordered our 2015 30' FC AS we did so with 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires and we got them installed by the factory. No issues, only had to convince our selling dealer that AS would do this on a new FC.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1995 33' Land Yacht
Tempe , Arizona
Tires

Michelin, they are costly but they Golden. I have used about every tire brand on the market. All of them have had Catastrophic failure. I switched to Michelin's about 2003. They wear out, they do not blowout. I just had six put on my Land Yacht.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:23 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Stanwood , Washington
I am going to replace the tires on my 25' Safari, and I am thinking about the Carlisle Tires from Discount Tire. I want a Load Range E, which should give me plenty of extra strength. Discount says the Carlisle Tire has been redesigned and they have had very little problems with the new tire. They preferred it over the Maxxis. Wondering if this is true, anyone had a good or bad experience with this tire? Thanks!
Old 03-30-2015, 02:21 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Carlisle

I haven't looked at the Carliles in awhile. I would think that's what Discount Tire is trying to sell. I have had very good luck with Maxxis tires tho. Had them on my 25' Shamrock that I just sold. They were the first set of Maxxis I had ever owned.
Unfortunately I only got to put about a thousand miles on them. I had done a ton of research about them tho, and there are many happy campers per se with the Maxxis brand. Most reviews I read were either boat trailer tires, or commercial trailers. I never had any issues with the set of four I had. Even tread wear, pretty tough sidewall, and they held their air well.
Gavin
Old 03-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

1968 22' Safari
Smith Mountain Lake , Virginia
I switched to 16" rims and Michelin LT with E load rating on our 1968 22' Safari a couple of years ago. Have been cross country and many short trips with never a significant rise in temp. Worth the peace of mind. - especially on a single axle.
As for ODM, I have used them a good deal over the last five years, including a major restoration body work after being hit on the side by an SUV out of control. They have great techs and have given me alot of good repair advice for a vintage AS. Highly recommend them and I travel about 100 miles to take it down there when needed.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:44 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Re-Pete View Post
We own a 1992 29' Excella that we purchased in 2012. I replaced the tires in July 2013 at a Les Schawb while on a trip out west. They put on some off brand "TowMax STR", the two tires on the curb side blew this month at about mile marker 90 as we were driving down to the lower keys. I had to take what I could get at that point, a brand called "Double King". I'm running 15" 225 R75 ST.

What I need is some good - dependable rubber and I'm looking for advice. We do a lot of driving. For instance we'll be heading back to Virginia from here (Key West), and then in October we'll head out to Albuquerque, NM for the Balloon Festival and then onto Palm Springs, CA for the holidays. In January we'll leave Palm Springs traveling around the southwest during the winter until we head back to Virginia in April of 2016. So yeah, we need some dependable tires.

We also sustained damage to the AS (pictures below). The rear lower backside of the steel wheel well has a broken weld, the aluminum wheel well trim piece is bent, and the rounded aluminum panel behind the wheel well is crushed and torn. Our water heater door was also torn off. My DW found the door, but not the hinge. Which forum should I use to discuss this damage and get advice on locating a good place to take our AS for the exterior repairs? Is there a place in Florida?

Is anyone familiar with Out Of Doors Mart in North Carolina and their AS repair capability? I've tried speaking with them by phone, but have only played phone tag so far. I could drop the AS there for repairs on the way back to VA if they are qualified.

Thanks,
Pete

Attachment 235125 Attachment 235126
I've been dealing with ODM for more than 20 years. If they tell me they can make a repair, I trust them to do it. They have always treated me right and I have always been happy with their work.

I had similar damage to that shown in your photo. I was able to replace the belly wrap myself. It's not a big deal if you have proper tools and a place to work.

When I was at the Airstream factory in 2010 I looked at the tires they offered for replacements in Airstream's service department. One of them was Tow Max STR. The following spring I had a local dealer installed a full set on my Safari. I normally check air pressure before I leave each day I travel. I also visually check and kick the tires to check inflation has not softened, every time I stop (every 2-3 hours) while traveling. I have not had any problem with them ~8,000 miles and 4+ years of towing. I will replace these next year with the same when they are 5 years old, even though they will have 75% of the tread left. I would recommend the Tow Max tires to a friend.

Those Tow Max STR tires have a roadside assistance warranty. You should have taken advantage of the warranty.
Old 03-30-2015, 08:46 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
This weekend I replaced the 15" stock wheels and GYM tires with 16" Sendel T03 wheels and 16" Michelin tires the same as the ones on the new Eddie Bower models. I did experience a blow out on the previous set of GYM'S in the summer heat 5 years ago. I replaced all 4 tires at that time with GYM'S because of cost. The GYM'S I just replaced had about 20,000 miles on them and showed lots of wear. Most of the travel with this set was in cooler weather. In the summer heat, I kept the speed under 60 MPH due to concern about another blow out.

Dennis
Old 03-30-2015, 11:21 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2010 19' International
Currently Looking...
Felton , California
Today I packed my. 2 GYMs in the truck and went to visit my local Goodyear dealer. Both tires of my 2010 Bambi had a barely visible crack showing tread separating on the inside sidewall. No blowout so I had all the evidence. The dealer agreed. I showed him the 6 year warranty on GYMs and even though mine are 5 1/2 years old, I got a 70 % credit based on remaining tread. No argument at all about over load or under inflation. So, I have 2 new GYMs, another six year warranty and road hazard coverage for a small outlay of cash. Granted, I'll be checking often for any signs of failure. Sigh. Wish he had turned me down so Mama would let me get the Maxxis.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:51 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfschultz View Post
I am going to replace the tires on my 25' Safari, and I am thinking about the Carlisle Tires from Discount Tire. I want a Load Range E, which should give me plenty of extra strength. Discount says the Carlisle Tire has been redesigned and they have had very little problems with the new tire. They preferred it over the Maxxis. Wondering if this is true, anyone had a good or bad experience with this tire? Thanks!
The operative word from the dealer is "very little problems". Are the problems with towing boats, TT, AS? From personal experience and the experience of many on this forum I would take another look at Michelin LT Load rated E. I used to use Carlisle tires in our business, dropped them due to poor performance (not on trailers).
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 06:00 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulizor View Post
Today I packed my. 2 GYMs in the truck and went to visit my local Goodyear dealer. Both tires of my 2010 Bambi had a barely visible crack showing tread separating on the inside sidewall. No blowout so I had all the evidence. The dealer agreed. I showed him the 6 year warranty on GYMs and even though mine are 5 1/2 years old, I got a 70 % credit based on remaining tread. No argument at all about over load or under inflation. So, I have 2 new GYMs, another six year warranty and road hazard coverage for a small outlay of cash. Granted, I'll be checking often for any signs of failure. Sigh. Wish he had turned me down so Mama would let me get the Maxxis.
You still can by dumping the Marathabombs on craigslist.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:05 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfschultz View Post
Oh no! Please don't!
I had Carlisle tires on an sob- the worst tires ever. I'll never be convinced that the tires are "new and improved" and have no issues.
I will either get Michelin 15's or switch to 16" wheels and tires.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote