Old 07-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
CLARKSVILLE , Tennessee
Hurray, Goodyear Marathons made in U.S. now!

Just want to mention that my brother called me tonight to say he got 4 brand new Marathons ST 225/75 R15 tires (made in U.S. on 2709) mounted on his 1994 28" Classic today. If I had known the tires are now made in the U.S., instead of China, I would have waited to replace my 5 year old Marathons with new ones instead of MAXXIS tires that I purchase this Spring. My MAXXIS tires now have over 2000 miles on my 25' Classic with no problems occuring.

Just thought I would pass this information along for anyone contemplating purchasing new tires soon.

Camper Dave

WBCCI #1572
Camper Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL

Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

The question is not so much where they are made but how they are made. As long as Marathons are made to meet minimum ST trailer tire standards, those of who tow long distances in hot weather are going to have trouble with them regardless of whether they are made in Akron or Timbucktoo.
Hopefully, the change in the place of manufacture means an upgrade in the tire.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Dave View Post
Just want to mention that my brother called me tonight to say he got 4 brand new Marathons ST 225/75 R15 tires (made in U.S. on 2709) mounted on his 1994 28" Classic today. If I had known the tires are now made in the U.S., instead of China, I would have waited to replace my 5 year old Marathons with new ones instead of MAXXIS tires that I purchase this Spring. My MAXXIS tires now have over 2000 miles on my 25' Classic with no problems occuring.

Just thought I would pass this information along for anyone contemplating purchasing new tires soon.

Camper Dave
It appears they are all made in china again.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
I will be getting new tires soon and plan to get Maxxis. Having read so many reviews, it seems that any trailer tire made in China is likely to give you problems. Maxxis are evidently made in Tiawan FWIW.

I'm currently running Goodyear Workhorse LT tires on my old steel rims and like the Goodyear brand. In 3 - 4 years when it is time to replace the Maxxis I'll see what the reputation of the US made Marathons is.

Christopher
Old 04-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Crescent , Oklahoma
I bought mine last summer, Made In USA, no problems

TAC OK-5
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
San Antonio , Texas
Smile

Why bother with a tire that many post about having potential problems. When I noticed tread separation, I went to BF Goodrich Commercial LT tires in 16". Have them about 6 months now with over 6000 or more miles, and never any hints of problems. They all run at a consistent temperture and pressure, and I never seem to have to top them off between trips. Also as a light truck tire, I hopefully will see them lasting much longer than the STs. No more popped rivits or other signs of vibration.
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Last fall I found my 2000 Safari. The Marathon tires looked to be about 50% worn. I assumed this had to be at least the second set of tires for a trailer this age, probably 5 years or so old. I thought they were most likely at the end of their life, but ok to travel during the cooler months. I made a trip up to the mountains last fall, then to Florida and a few other short trips this winter. I towed more 4,000 miles. When I got home I decided to replace the tires since I will be towing out west in the heat this summer. To my supprise the dealer that replace my tires said "Do you realize these tires were the original tires that came on this trailer. The date codes says the tires were manufactured in September 1999." Those 12 1/2 year old tires have "made in USA" labeled right on the sidewall. Reflecting on this, I wish I had replaced them with another set of Marathons!
Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Switched to 16-inch wheels and all-steel, Michelin XPS Ribs after previous (15-inch) Marathon and Maxxis failures. This will be the first summer in the desert southwest on these new tires, and I hope blowout/tire failure will no longer be an entry in our travel log.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Switched to 16-inch wheels and all-steel, Michelin XPS Ribs after previous (15-inch) Marathon and Maxxis failures. This will be the first summer in the desert southwest on these new tires, and I hope blowout/tire failure will no longer be an entry in our travel log.
Phoenix,
I've read these threads until my eyes turned inside out. We are first time owners of a nice '99 Excella 30'. The PO put ST225/75R15 GYMs on last year and they look great so I'm going to chance them for the first trip in two weeks from VA to WI and back. Two questions, for you and rest of the knowledge bank:
1 - What pressure shall I start with cold? PO said 50, tires say 65 at load.
2 - How do you change to 16 inch wheels and Michelin's? (I run M's on all my other vehicles.)

I ask the second question because someone mentioned going to Jackson Center to have it done. It that the recommended solution? THANKS.
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:44 AM   #11

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
Phoenix,
I've read these threads until my eyes turned inside out. We are first time owners of a nice '99 Excella 30'. The PO put ST225/75R15 GYMs on last year and they look great so I'm going to chance them for the first trip in two weeks from VA to WI and back. Two questions, for you and rest of the knowledge bank:
1 - What pressure shall I start with cold? PO said 50, tires say 65 at load.
2 - How do you change to 16 inch wheels and Michelin's? (I run M's on all my other vehicles.)

I ask the second question because someone mentioned going to Jackson Center to have it done. It that the recommended solution? THANKS.

I would highly recommend that you you inflate your Marathons to 65 psi for a trailer of your size. This is especially true in the upcoming hot weather months. I would not go with the PO's recommended 50 psi. That could be an invitation to a catastrophic tire failure.

Even though the PO told you that the tires were only a year old, I would check the production date just to make sure that they are as you were told.

We went with the 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires after 65,000 miles of various tire problems with ST's from various manufacturers. I finally decided that all ST tires are junk.

Many members here make the switch to 16" wheels/LT tires themselves. They buy the various components, have them mounted and installed locally. We had Lucy's done at Jackson Center. After pricing the components, JC's price was about the same as doing it myself. We scheduled a trip to JC to have it done there along with several other minor items. The Service Center at JC always does a great job at a fair price. If I don't want to do it myself, Lucy goes to JC.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I would highly recommend that you you inflate your Marathons to 65 psi for a trailer of your size. This is especially true in the upcoming hot weather months. I would not go with the PO's recommended 50 psi. That could be an invitation to a catastrophic tire failure.

Even though the PO told you that the tires were only a year old, I would check the production date just to make sure that they are as you were told.

We went with the 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires after 65,000 miles of various tire problems with ST's from various manufacturers. I finally decided that all ST tires are junk.

Many members here make the switch to 16" wheels/LT tires themselves. They buy the various components, have them mounted and installed locally. We had Lucy's done at Jackson Center. After pricing the components, JC's price was about the same as doing it myself. We scheduled a trip to JC to have it done there along with several other minor items. The Service Center at JC always does a great job at a fair price. If I don't want to do it myself, Lucy goes to JC.

Brian
Thanks, Brian, and I'll go fire up the compressor as soon as I send this. I read of your trip to JC and saw the pix of your news tires and wheels, very nice. It will be a key item to add to our list as we get ready to pull from Virginia to British Columbia this June. Your insight and sharing is MUCH appreciated by this newbie, and by many others. You're the best!
TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Greg,

The details for the wheels and tires we switched to are in this post:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465/16-wheels-lt-tires-69297-7.html#post944334

As you read some of the entries in that thread, you'll see that many have switched to 16-inch wheels; because there is a greater selection in LT tires, and the LTs are much stronger, more reliable tires, albeit more expensive. However, after adding the cost of roadside breakdowns, tow service, buying tires (with almost no selection) in small out-of-the-way towns, and repairs to wheel wells, many consider the switch justifiable due to the lost time and expense.

We elected to go with the overkill option, since we live in the desert southwest (Arizona); and summer heat is a contributing cause in many tire failures. We figured that this modification would be relatively expensive, so we didn't want to undershoot the goal and end up upgrading again next year. Hence, the all-steel Michelin XPS Ribs, the most expensive tire I have ever purchased. However, we only had to buy two, so the cost was manageable. If we had a double or triple axle, or didn't travel extensively in the southwest, a lesser LT tire would have saved hundreds of dollars.

Back to your original question: There are two camps in the tire pressure debate -- Some advocate running the maximum pressure on the sidewalls. These include Discount Tire and many tire stores, the Airstream factory, and those of us who have had several blowouts and tire failures due to tire separation. The others are those who want a soft ride to lessen metal fatigue and other road vibration problems in their Airstreams. -- I am on the max pressure side (80 psi for load range E tires, and 65 for LR-Ds).

I have ridden in our Airstream at about 60-65 mph, with the XMS Ribs inflated to 80 psi; and it rides like our 2008 Tundra, i.e., smooth, relatively soft but truck-like ride. So, I believe that the 80 psi rough ride controversy is debateable. However, others insist that in the long run, excessive tire pressure will result in sheared rivets, etc. I just know that running on underinflated tires leads to tire failures, there are a lot of alligators on Arizona's highways, especially in the summer, and many people don't monitor tire pressure.

Note: I also added Centramatics, although I am unsure how much they contributed to a smoother a ride, since I did not take a test ride in our Airstream before they were installed.

Just another of many opinions, and the final decision is yours...

Happy Trails!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #14

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I forgot to mention that we also installed Centramatic Balancers on Lucy when we went to the new wheels and tires.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote