Old 04-12-2011, 08:57 AM   #15
2005 19' Safari
Wausau , Wisconsin
2005 19' Safari Bambi. I'm neophyte, so be helpful and patient. About 30,000 miles on the new unit, and considering replacement for the new factory installed Marathons 15". Do I go with the Marathons, whether China made or whatever, or look for Michelins or other manufacturer of ST's?
Trips are usually into some rough terrain. On about 25 miles of washboard lost 20+ screws, converter migrated onto floor, etc. Now we just brace everything whenever we see another wahboard experience. Those single axles are benefit and bain. Scews in fiberboard are a pain! Heading out again soon from Wisconsin, and will keep going at age 82. Al

Al Dinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
Nellysford , Virginia
I inflated to 65 and re-set the Dorans to read to that pressure. I've just put in a request for service of that water heater at Jackson Center. While waiting to hear back, I'm mulling the question of a complete tire/wheel job like yours.

1-Did you have them install the Centramatics as well, and did they furnish them?
2-I read somewhere else that I may have to buy and bring the Michelins. True?

Greg and Linda Heuer
'99 Excella 30 w/HAHA - The Silver Otter
'08 Chevy LTZ 2500HD 6.6 DuraMax
TAC VA-18 | WBCCI 1927 - Unit 149 | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM   #17

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, I have had better luck with the Maxxis brand than I had with the Goodyear Marathons.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Georgia
I'm getting ready to head to Alaska from Georgia. I have a nice RV air compressor that I keep in my truck and I monitor my tire pressure on every trip. I think upkeep of tires are important. You would be surprised how many people do not check their tires from trip to trip. In fact, I keep my friends tires inflated and check wear and tear, along with wear pattern. As a single female, I don't want to deal with a blowout. However, sometimes it can not be avoided. So, in the event it happens, I have two spares for my A/S and I have all the necessary tools to change the tire, plus three roadside assistance companies.
WBCCI #1122
Top of Georgia Unit #52
I dont want to get to the end of my life and find that I lived just the length of it; I want to have lived the width of it as well.
---Diane Ackerman (Author, poet, essayist, naturalist)
benjisgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #19
2005 19' Safari
Wausau , Wisconsin
New Tires??

2005 Safari Bambi in Wisconsin. 35000 miles on Marathons. They appear in good shape. Traveled on some rough trails last year searching for trout, etc. Concerned about sidewalls and at my age (82) safety having to change tires on single axle. Do I go for more Marathons or try some Michelins or what??
Old 04-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Al Dinger, just my opinion, but if it were me, I'd change out the Marathons. They are five years old and about due for replacement from age, even if the tread looks OK. We switched to 16-in wheels and Michelin XPS Ribs, because we felt that was about the closest to "bullet-proof" we could get. However, we live in Arizona; and the heat down here is really rough on tires.

FYI, it cost us a little over $1,000 to make the conversion (through Discount Tire). However, when we had our previous roadside adventure in Indian country, the total came to about $500 for three tires (a Carlisle on the road, and two new Maxxis tires when we got home), and about $400 for towing (which was reimbursed by our insurance company). Plus, we have unrepaired damage to one wheel well that we plan on having fixed at the mothership one of these summers (estimated at $300). AND, one Maxxis tire has subsequently failed due to tread separation after only two years.

So, the cost of the new 16-inch wheels and XPS Ribs was justified in our minds.

Happy trails! (Hope we are still on the road at 82!)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:50 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
The last time we had a tire go out was a couple of years ago on our way into West Yellowstone. It was in July and very hot. The previous day we were in Glacier NP. This was on our previous trailer, a fifth wheel and I could see both tires on the drivers side but the step hid the view of the passenger side tires. Our trailer had spring suspension but I didn't know we had a flat until someone started honking at us as they passed and pointed back to the trailer. After stopping we discovered that we had ridden on the flat tire so long that the tread was totally missing and we only had two sidewalls. Now on our Airstream we can't see any tires from the mirrors unless we are rounding a corner.

The moral to this story is that regardless what type of tires you buy sooner or later they are subject to failure for some reason or another. It is time for us to buy a tire pressure monitoring system!! I'll have one before my next trip.
Steve & Beth
AIR 22763
07' Classic 31, 11' Dodge 3500 Cummins
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master
2005 19' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Au ee, you may not have been driving on the rims for very long. We watched the tread separate on one of our Marathons. The tire body exploded and the steel belt/tread stripped off and ran along side our Bambi for about 100 yards before running off into the dirt. Total elapsed time, about 10-15 seconds.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #23
2005 19' Safari
Wausau , Wisconsin
Thanks, Phoenix, very good advice! Thanksgiving '09 camped in Globe, celebrated great picnic in the arboretum between you and Globe, hunted quail on the res, caught in blizzard in Amarillo coming home. Life is grand!!