Old 02-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 23' Flying Cloud
Naples , Florida
How to know when to buy new tires

I'm heading out late April/early May for a 6-week adventure: starting Naples, FL, up through New Hampshire, west across Wisconsin and continuing out to Idaho Falls, ID before doubling back and down to "Home" in the Colorado Rockies.
I took my 2012 23' FC to Midas a month ago and had the manager take a good look at my tires. No sign of rot, over 50% tread left. The tires are original and have fewer than 10 miles on them....probably closer to 8,000.
The safety and damage issues are preeminent of course, on such a long trip, but I'm also a woman traveling solo. I do have Good Sam travel assist, but still....
And the question: If you were me, would you replace these "good" tires now?

Old 02-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Hi, you post is timely as there are a few threads running about tire failure, especially Goodyear Marathon Tires (GMT).
In short you definitely need to replace those tires. From what I've been reading the GMT trouble begins around 8 to 10K mile mark. My AS is brand new & I'm replacing those tires with either Maxxis E rated ST tires or Michelin Defender 225/75R15 109t
tires coming out next month, I haven't decided which yet as I'm waiting for a few reports on the Michelins. If you replace stay away from GMT & Carlisle tires. If you were to decide on Michelin you need new rims also as your are 14" vs 15". Many forum members have gone that route on the 23' AS. Maxxis tires are the very best trailer tire on the market whereas Michelin are LTX meaning passenger (car, light truck) tires but are being used more & more on AS trailers.

TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The actual date code on the tire would be interesting to know. They are 4 or 5 years old probably and I would definitely replace them before the trip.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
If there's any doubt, change them out.

That's my motto. I lost a diver side rear on the TV last year in WI on I94 while on a long trip. It was nasty to say the least. Luckily we limped in to a tire dealer right of the next exit and got 4 new tires. At the time of the blowout, I fully expected a catastrophic wreck. We were really shook up.

Funny thing is, the tires came with the TV when I bought it used and my mechanic and a tire shop looked at the tires and said they would probably be fine because they look good.

Big mistake.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Those tires are probably right on the edge of needing replacement. If you don't replace them this year, probably due next year. Check the date code, if they're over 5 years old they're due now.

The added piece of mind is probably worth it on a trip this long.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
I'm heading out late April/early May for a 6-week adventure: starting Naples, FL, up through New Hampshire, west across Wisconsin and continuing out to Idaho Falls, ID before doubling back and down to "Home" in the Colorado Rockies.
I took my 2012 23' FC to Midas a month ago and had the manager take a good look at my tires. No sign of rot, over 50% tread left. The tires are original and have fewer than 10 miles on them....probably closer to 8,000.
The safety and damage issues are preeminent of course, on such a long trip, but I'm also a woman traveling solo. I do have Good Sam travel assist, but still....
The tires on my Safari look really good. No cracks, no bulges, wearing evenly, 75% of tread left, etc..... I plan on replacing them this spring before the summer travel season. My tires are in their 5th year beyond the manufactured date, so I'm replacing them due to age.

Your trailer model year (a 2012) could have been built in 2011. Your tires are older than your trailer (unless they have already been replaced), by as much as a year. At best the tires are 4+ years old, so they would be pushing 5 years at the end of your trip. They probably are already older.

I say replace those tires!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
If I was in your shoes, I would replace those tires. Cheap insurance.
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
http://m.michelin.qa.publish.front-p...ist_tab_0.html
Old 02-15-2016, 07:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
3.5 years on marathons with 22,000 miles are at 50 percent ,are now replaced with 16" michelins, no more china tires here, check where maxxis are made, ..
Old 02-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
In my opinion, Goodyear Marathons should be replaced after no more than 2 years service.

The Kumho ST tires are reported to be better - search for reviews.
The Maxxie ST tires are reported to be better - search for reviews.

The Michelin Extra Load passenger tire can be purchased in 15 in size if you are willing to upgrade the wheels to 15 in size. Research the tire threads on what is required. Note that the 15 and 16 in Michelins are not the same tire. Note that a 15 in tire will not fit in the spare tire rack without adding about an inch to the rear angle brackets. One solution is to use the 14 in spare for the run to get a replacement in the event of a 15 in Michelin failure.

Add a set of Centramatics to balance the hubs and brake drums. Research the Centramatic threads. There are several.

Good luck on your trip. We visited the NE last fall and enjoyed the area. Pat
Old 02-16-2016, 01:35 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1998 36' Land Yacht Widebody
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
All tires made after 2002 have dates on the side which will help determining age. Both blowouts I experienced were not due to bald tires but rather cracked sidewalls. Tires will dry out when exposed to sun for extended periods and age is the next factor. Last April I bought a LY diesel pusher that sill had the original tires on rear and 2 front tires replaced in 2006. Within a month I noticed a large chunk missing from a rear tire. Had them replaced with Hancock's. Front tires were 9 years old and I got about 1500 miles out of them. On a trip west, the right front blew out on I-40. Needless to say I had new tires added to the front and never had another problem.
My advice......tires on RV's more than 5 years old need to be closely inspected and maybe replaced. New tires are cheaper than emergency roadside service and repairs from damage.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Because you are a woman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
No.

Hi, OMG, the sky is falling replace everything!

(1.) Five to seven years old

(2.) Dry rotted or cracking.

(3.) Wearing badly or un-evenly.

(4.) Worn to wear bars; Very rare on a travel trailer.

(5.) Signs of separation, bubbles, cuts, Etc.

I ran ten years on Marathons and only replaced them as needed. Two at 3 years due to small sidewall bubbles. Two at 7 years due to separation. I now run Carlisles with a 82 MPH rating. Miles? Just on my Alaska trip, it was for 50 days and over 10,000 miles. My new Carlisles went on my 2015 cross country trip of 3 1/2 months and over 13,000 miles.

Replacing trailer tires at 2 years and / or X amount of miles is ridiculous.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
3.5 years on marathons with 22,000 miles are at 50 percent ,are now replaced with 16" michelins, no more china tires here, check where maxxis are made, ..
Maxxis are not Chinese.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
My gyms are now almost 4 years old with 22000 miles and at 50 per cent, nice even wear, looking good ,just installed new michelins,as I don't want to chance damaging the trailer, just because they look good on the outside!....