Old 04-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #85
4 Rivet Member
2013 30' International
Anna Maria , Florida
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
I'm heading out late April/early May for a 6-week adventure: starting Naples, FL, up through New Hampshire, west across Wisconsin and continuing out to Idaho Falls, ID before doubling back and down to "Home" in the Colorado Rockies.
I took my 2012 23' FC to Midas a month ago and had the manager take a good look at my tires. No sign of rot, over 50% tread left. The tires are original and have fewer than 10 miles on them....probably closer to 8,000.
The safety and damage issues are preeminent of course, on such a long trip, but I'm also a woman traveling solo. I do have Good Sam travel assist, but still....
And the question: If you were me, would you replace these "good" tires now?
Actually the best time to replace tires is by the dealer or seller before you pull away with your Trailer should it have Good Year Marathons on it period. Than you will never have to worry about it again.

franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #86
2 Rivet Member
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Delta , BC
I appreciate all of the problems a lot of people have had but I have Goodyear marathons on both my Airstream and my Wells Cargo 24' car hauler and I have yet to change tires on either. They all still look in good shape, no cracks and while not incredible mileage on them, both have gone up and down the west coast a few times. The car hauler is a 1998. I am sensible with my load, keep the speed at 60-65, watch tires pressures and check the heat of the tires at every stop. Maybe dumb luck in my case, but sure seems wasteful and not very green to change tires just in case unless of course they have lived their life.

bugman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:13 AM   #87
Rivet Master
Ravenna , Ohio
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
First, the maximum inflation pressure for a Goodyear Marathon isn't always 65 psi. For a Load Range C, it's 50 psi, and for a Load Range E it's 80 psi. It's 65 psi for a Load Range D.

Second, Rule of Thumb: For every 10F rise in temperature, your inflation pressure will rise 3%. So for a 30 psi tire, that's ~ 1 psi for every 10F (you will find that quoted elsewhere, usually without the qualification that it only applies to passenger car tires.)

For a 65 psi tire, going from 82F to 100F is 18F =~ 3 1/2 psi.

Please note that the maximum pressure stated on the sidewall of a tire is a *COLD* pressure. The tire is designed to allow for pressure buildup due to the heat of operating beyond the maximum stated on the sidewall.

- BUT -

Another Rule of Thumb: You don't want to see any more than a 10% rise in operating pressure. That indicates the tire is being operated underinflated, overloaded or too fast. You need to take care of that - usually by going to a larger size tire or a higher load range.

But if you see 15% (or more) , you need to take care of that IMMEDIATELY!!!

And lastly, blowouts can occur for various reasons. The most obvious is debris on the road. Even small nails, can cause a tire to lose enough air to blowout - and unlike a car where you can hear or feel a tire going down, you won't know about your trailer tire until it has destroyed itself.

Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote