Old 02-16-2016, 09:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Your Maxxis Review?

I'm interested in hearing about peoples experiences with the Maxxis E rated tires. My current tires are 65 years old, and the tread is starting to look cupped in sections. Also they loose about 10 PSI in just a few days. Thus, I'm thinking about replacements.

So if you have Maxxis Tires Please sound off!

Old 02-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Everything I've read on the various tire manufacturer sites says mileage isn't a consideration. Normally, a trailer tire will not get the mileage that a car will have and will sit longer. They all say that age is the biggest factor and to replace at 6 years, regardless of how much tread is left.

My GYMs are 6 years old this year and I will be replacing them when we get back home. They look great and have lots of tread left. The original owner worked for Goodyear and put 4 new on before he sold it to the guy I bought it from. We've never had any problems in the 2 years we've had the AS.

I wrote to Goodyear, asking about the GYMs made in China. They replied that the materials and construction of the tire are exactly the same as it was when made in the USA. Tire industry sites say the off brand Chinese tires are not of the same quality as big name companies and should be avoided. The big name companies have tire manufacturing sites all over the world but design is done in their home country.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
There was a time when Goodyear was making their tires in America. The moved them to China to make more money and yes, they were using the same processes they had here but their quality control wasn't doing the job. They had so many problems that they returned to the US. After a short while they went back to China with a better quality control system and I believe they are still there today.

Maxxis are not made in China and have not had the same issues of those that are made in China.

For all of those out there who have changed over to Michelins I am wondering if they will replace their tires after 5 years regardless of wear. What say you?
Old 02-16-2016, 09:53 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
For all of those out there who have changed over to Michelins I am wondering if they will replace their tires after 5 years regardless of wear. What say you?
Yes. I will change out at an interval of 5 years, probably max, even with Michelins.

I guess it depends on the person, some say it is not necessary, some do it just because it gives them a piece of mind.

I had a massive blowout last year and will do any thing and everything I can to avoid that again. Perhaps if that had not happened, I wouldn't feel the way I do.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:08 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
There was a time when Goodyear was making their tires in America.
The Goodyear site is interesting. They say they make tires across 6 continents including North America. There are lots of Goodyear plants in the US. The GYMs are made in China but the rest are made in different plants around the world. Like any manufacturer they can shift production from plant to plant.

They also own these companies, I wasn't aware of this:
" In addition to Goodyear brand tires, we produce several other well-respected international brand names including Dunlop, Kelly, Fulda, Lee, Sava and Debica"

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US/about/global.html

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:40 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barretta2 View Post
I'm heading out late April/early May for a 6-week adventure: starting Naples, FL, up through New Hampshire, west across Wisconsin and continuing out to Idaho Falls, ID before doubling back and down to "Home" in the Colorado Rockies.
I took my 2012 23' FC to Midas a month ago and had the manager take a good look at my tires. No sign of rot, over 50% tread left. The tires are original and have fewer than 10 miles on them....probably closer to 8,000.
The safety and damage issues are preeminent of course, on such a long trip, but I'm also a woman traveling solo. I do have Good Sam travel assist, but still....
And the question: If you were me, would you replace these "good" tires now?
If you can. Wait it'll you get to montana. No sales tax!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
If you can wait till you get to montana. No sales tax!
Old 02-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My tires gave absolutely no warning.
Trip to Toledo Bend in Louisiana last August- no issues-
Next weekend trip to Grenada Lake- tread separation visible on one tire-
Got new tires and discovered weird tread separation on 3 of 4 tires-
Tires were 2 years 10 months old, but may well have had 30,000 miles.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
It's shocking to research tires and find so many blowouts from owners of all brands.

Its almost as if the tire industry knows most FRV's just sit in one place.

The least amount of issues on trailer tires were Maxxis from what I read.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
I'm interested in hearing about peoples experiences with the Maxxis E rated tires. My current tires are 65 years old, and the tread is starting to look cupped in sections. Also they loose about 10 PSI in just a few days. Thus, I'm thinking about replacements.

Sorry they are 6 years old.
Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post

Once the tires hit 62 I would be looking for a social security check.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-16-2016, 01:01 PM   #26
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Baretta -

Actually the tire date codes go back well before 2002 noted above - but in 2000 they changed the date code as explained in the link below on how to read the date codes of both <2000 & 2000> ....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

The common recco by pros is to replace trailer tires at 5 years (as many have said above) - & cars/SUVs & Light Trucks at 7 years - or earlier for both due to wear, sidewall damage, micro-cracking in either/both tread grooves &/or sidewalls.

So check both your TV & AS tires & ages very carefully yourself before the trip & decide.

If it were me & close to those ages &/or definitely with any of the other red flags - I would change them out before going on a long trip, in hot months &/or hot areas (e.g.: desert southwest) - as I did when I picked up our "new to us" `60 Avion T20 in Albuquerque & drove it 800+ miles to SoCal in July 2012. Nothing spoils a road trip like car/TV or trailer problems, so if you can eliminate potential tire problems, then do so.

Also note that ST trailer tires are only rated to 65 mph in most cases, & speed raises tire temps almost exponentially at higher speeds - so keep the speed down to do whatever tires on there a favor. Heat is the enemy of tires!

Also - I end up replacing almost new tires on my cars at maybe 80% tread due to age/ozone cracking, since we only put 2-3000 miles/yr. on them now that the kids are gone & everything is close. It's a hard bullet to bite when the "look" so new otherwise, but those cracks in the treads & sidewalls are telling you that the rubber is compromised & you need to chuck them!

Silverflames -

Yes - it's definitely time to change out those 65 year old tires!
.... okay 6 - still ready for replacement.

I've been running Maxxis 8008 ST225/75R15-E's (8PR) on our vintage kin 1960 Avion T20 since we got it in July 2012 with no issues - including on the 800+ mile run from Albuquerque to SoCal in July where we bought it, & since them to vintage trailer rallies around CA. By the date codes, they'll be due for replacement (still with lotsa tread) next summer-ish, but maybe sooner if I see the cracking or sidewall/tread damage &/or plan a long trip as noted above.

PS - We could've gone with D rated since the older kin & AS's were lighter, but the 225/75R15 was the correct change-over for the OE Bias Ply 6PR (D Load in today's ratings) tires on the OE 15" steel rims, & that only came in E so we have an extra wt. capacity cushion.

PSS - I'll do the same Maxxis next time, but do check the date codes before mounting them, & do so for all tires on all vehicles when getting new tires anytime!

The Maxxis were recco'd by the AS/Kin restorer who did our PPI on the Avion, who reccos them to all his customers & runs them on his +/-6 ASs himself.

Good Luck All!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner)
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:50 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Thank you Tom!

So my AS is about 5k lbs, I considered the load E range for the extra strength, but with just a lower PSI in the tires, but I'm not sure if it's worth it. How did the load E ride?

Load D are rated at 2500, so it clearly covers the load I need to carry.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:01 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
I'm with Bob. Tires don't just blow for no reason. If the guy at the tire stores says they are okay, they are okay. Lots of AS owners baby their trailers. That's fine and if you have unlimited funds and have to have everything new, I can see why older tires might bother you. I did 4.5 months in Alaska last year. I had brand new tires on my truck but the tire guy said the trailer tires were fine, so I kept them. Long story short, I had two blown tires on the truck and the trailer tires were fine. The truck takes the greatest shock. Luckily, I had two spare tires for the truck, as recommended for travel in Canada and Alaska, so I had no real problems. I kept the blown truck tires (both with holes in the sidewalls) and returned them for new ones once I hit the lower 48, where Discount Tire stores are abundant. BTW, I am an older woman traveling alone and find that I have no more problems than my male friends. If anything, I have far more offers of help, from both men and women, than I can count. I've traveled to every American National Park on this continent so I've seen a wide variety of road conditions. Of course, you should know how to change a tire if you are going to remote areas but roadside assistance is available almost everywhere in the lower 48.