Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #57
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Originally Posted by Action View Post
My '66 has no provisions for a spare. However I believe my TV spare would bolt in place if I had to go there. The problem with that is my TV spare isn't rated to handle the load my trailer tires are subjected to when towing. So this would be a very temporary solution.

For now I take a trailer spare loose loaded into my TV.
i think you should also consider the load rating of the tow v. spare. now if a trailer wheel would fit the truck, you could use a trailer spare for both!

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #58
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The rest of the story

Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I understand your point, but I think my inclination would be not to worry too much about the age of the spare, but if/when I needed to use it, use it only to get me to the nearest place to get the running tire replaced or repaired, the put the spare back as a spare. (Never actually had a flat yet en route.)

When I used that spare on my TV (I believe this was in 2003) the spare was used and of an unknown age since it came with the TV when I bought it in 1997. While I had replaced the tires in 1998 I did not replace the spare. (side note, environmental conditions 3rd weekend in May about 10am air temp was over 100 in the Southern AZ desert) The spare on my TV lasted about 60 miles and experienced a rapid depressurazition. Now I am stuck in the Northern Mexican desert with 3 good tires on my TV. Fortunately I was traveling to meet some friends and they were behind me. They took me and my wife to Rocky Point with 2 questionable tires on rims. I bought some used tires had them mounted and my friend drove me back to my stranded combo in about 3 hours and several adult beverages.

It wasn't the best way to start a vacation, however I will never travel with a spare of that age. I looked at the date code on the spare that was on the back of my TV, it was just over 10 years old. The used Mexican tires cost me $15 each mounted and balanced and were just under 3 years old. After that trip I replaced all 5 tires on my TV. The used MX tires were used as spares for the trailer. However I have not towed my bullet since 2007 and I also need axles. However that is a different story.

1966 Mercury Park Lane 4 DR Breezeway 410 4V, C-6, 2.80 - Streamless.
1966 Lincoln 4 door Convertible 462 4V 1971 Ford LTD Convertible 429 4V Phoenix ~ Yeah it's hot however it's a dry heat!
Action is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #59
1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
In ten years of towing an Airstream, I've only experienced one tire that needed attention and was able to get to a repair center without damage to the tire and without needing the spare. We rely upon the Pressure Pro system to alert us to tires which have lost pressure on both the trailer and tow vehicle. It has served us well. Still, I carry one spare factory mounted under the trailer and a second spare in the truck bed under the tonneau cover. We often take extended trips over several months of 5,000 to 10,000 miles in duration and often through very remote areas such as in Southern Utah, Wyoming, Montana and Colorado where repair/replacement could be problematic.
I wouldn't feel comfortable towing without both spares just in case they are needed.
GStephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #60
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
There are minimum intervals

We're headed out to Pelahatchie, MS shortly for this year's first Airstream outing. For good measure, I decided to check the spare tire's air pressure even though, as a bias-ply tire, it never seems to waver. Oops - bad move; it was down to 23 psig when it was supposed to be 45 psig.

The four, relatively new, radial Marathons which support my Overlander going down the road are expected to lose a few psi every couple of months. The spare tire's pressure surprised me as did the wasp nest when the cover was pulled back. But I don't remember checking its pressure last year. I need to do better.

Don't forget to check your spare tire's pressure at least once a season.

1967 Airstream Overlander International
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #61
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Don't forget to check your spare tire's pressure at least once a season.
My Interstate's spare tire is stored underneath, between the rear axle and the rear bumper, just like on a lot of vans and pickups.

Earlier this year, I added a valve extension for the spare tire, set up so the stem fitting bolts to the rear bumper within easy reach. Now I can check— and inflate— my Interstate's spare without ever crawling underneath.

Wheel Masters® spare tire inflation system, with the braided stainless steel cover on the hose. About 50 bucks (the rubber one without the braided steel cover is cheaper) but well worth the price considering how hard it is to access the spare otherwise, especially with my arthritic knees.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #62
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
twice on my first trip out. Over a 12 year period I have used the spare at least 6 different times probably more and none of the tires were over 5 years of age and all had good tire pressure before going flat.
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #63
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
just wanted to see if the signature revision occured
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Old 05-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
low air pressure sensor.

here's a novel idea..

how about putting tmps sensors like are installed on newer vehicles. upgrading or modifying the on board system to monitor the sensors you installed in the trailer tires.

just a thought..
Carl, Raleigh NC
2-24-16 got a 2005 Classic 31D
Timeshare owner/user since '99 check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #65
Rivet Master
2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I put pressure pro sensors on my trailer and truck and they worked good. They did not prevent me from having some false readings. I had the first generation of the pressure pros and I am certain they are more reliable now. I had one tire sensor that would give me false readings from time to time, which I could not duplicate at home, I had a flat on the interstate and the sensor did not alarm. Later I had a tire throw a tread, I happened to see it occur while looking out the sideview mirror. This tire did not lose air but did desroy the wheel well and the big side panel doing damage of over $6K. I feel like the newer generation of tire monitors will give even more protection than the older ones did and I would want to have them installed when pulling the do give an added level or assurance.
Keep the shiny side up.
WBCCI # 348
Past Region 3 President
Old 05-06-2013, 04:34 AM   #66

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Update since last post...

Nail in curbside rear on "Cloudsplitter".

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #67
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Three times in nine years and always Goodyear Marathons. We've been running Carlisles for four years and are now on our second set with no issues to date....knock wood!
In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2014 30' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I picked up a screw in the Mercedes right rear tire at the first 50 mile stop to check wheel lug bolt torque on the way home with the new trailer. When I got to the next stop, a rest area, and came out of the restroom the right rear was slowly lowering to the ground.

Since the donut spare could not carry the load, the right front had to come off and get the donut. Then that tire went on the rear. I drove 50 miles one way back into LA to a Costco to get the flat tire fixed. Then they did the musical tire drill in reverse.

When I switched the Airstream to Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires, I also put one on the steel spare wheel. I always replace vehicle tires long before the wear bars are on the ground to preclude hydro-planning in the rain. Since time will be the factor instead of miles, I will consider the trailer tires eligible for replacement in four years or sooner depending on weather checking as the trailer is stored under roof in the Phoenix area desert heat.
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #69
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
How many times have I used the spare?

Twice, both times to replace failed failed ST tires. I have not had a moments problem since replacing those junk tires with BF Goodrich Commercial T/A LT tires in 16 inch.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon

Hi, my Lincoln is 13 years old and my Safari is over 8 years old and I have never used either spare yet, but I wouldn't go without one.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote