Old 01-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I looked at my spare once.. I think it might be the original from 1968, but it still has air in it. It was holding up my water tank after the floor rotted out. Saw it when I replaced the floor.

Guess I should pull it off and take a good look at it this spring

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Sunrise Beach , Missouri
For those of you who have never used your spare you might want to try lowering it once and a while to make sure everything works. The one time we had to use our spare, we had a h--l of a time trying to get the spare to release from the underbelly of our 31 Classic at the side of the road.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
How many times have you used the spare tire?

In the past ten years, I have had to use the spare for my Suburban once -- when I was visiting Wisconsin and picked up a shard of welding rod in the right front tire. I have had to use the spare tire for the Overlander twice -- both time as the result of brake problems causing one wheel to lock randomly when driving in slow traffice -- once on the way home from Dayton, OH in 1999 following the International Rally and a second time when returning from the International Rally in Sioux Falls, SD -- in each instance the tire on the coach didn't go flat, rather the steel belts were exposed and I had a service shop switch the tire after repairing the brake problem. Thus far, I have never had to use the spare on the Minuet -- in fact it is still the original 1978 Spare and it appears to have never been on the ground (always covered and stored in the garage between trips).

I hope to never have a flat on my New Beetle Convertible, as the thought of having my motor club trying to jack up the car or use a tow truck to lift it is frightening due to its minimal ground clearance.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
For those of you who have never used your spare you might want to try lowering it once and a while to make sure everything works. The one time we had to use our spare, we had a h--l of a time trying to get the spare to release from the underbelly of our 31 Classic at the side of the road.
That's why I took it out of the spare tire holder and put it in the back of the pickup. It takes a little weight off the tongue and makes it easier to check the air in it and keep it at 65 lbs.

I would rotate the tires on the trailer if they all had the same wheels, but they don't. Neither does the pickup, and the pickup spare is a slightly different size tire than the other 4, though not a doughnut.

I have not had a flat on the road in a very long time with our trucks, but I have had an occasional slow leak while not traveling. All I had to do was either fill it up, drive to a tire repair shop or take it off, leave the vehicle on the jack and get it fixed. I used to plug them myself, but that's not the best repair, but a good thing to do in the back country while 4 wheeling. I do carry a kit to plug a tire (and compressor) should I get two flats and not be able to get them fixed.

Gene
Old 01-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I use my spare tire to hold my son up when I'm one-handed, to balance drinks, food... oh wait wrong kind. Well so far we've been lucky and not needed one but have one just in case!
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
glad to have had a spare

Franny and me have been on the road since October and have logged just over 5,000 miles. This past Sunday I was packing up to move to our next location, and I got as far as hitching the trailer to the truck and putting Franny in the truck, when I realized we had a flat on the trailer.

No worry I dropped the spare which was inflated and in reasonable shape. However, the PO had a lug wrench that left a lot to be desired. I was unable to break the lugs, but I got lucky as a service tech was on site and he had the right wrench. The whole process took an hour and we were on our way. It only took 7 gas stations to find an air pump that worked as the spare was under inflated. Topped off the spare and hit the road to Sugarloaf Key KOA just shy of Key West. I got the tire patched where I had picked up a deck screw for ten bucks. I also picked up a better lug wrench. I intend to put the original tire back on as it matches all the others, and I feel it will be better for the balance. All in all I was very happy to have the spare...

Regards,

Reganzo
Old 01-20-2009, 10:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet So Far, So Good

Never on the trailer. (Curse the Little Rock streets for a culvert at street drain that cost me a perfectly good tire on my F150) Beat-up my aluminum wheel too. We all weep for aluminum damage, right?

Have a spare mounded on a Chevy wheel for my í67 Trade Wind that I never used. It complemented the rest of my inappropriate/out of balance running gear (Thanks for the instructions, Andy, but this was pre Internet [hence pre forums]) and no Airstream dealer in my area, I know better now. I didnít know, but was lucky. I guess in my case, it really was better than being good.

One of the things that has come up recently is that the life of a tire is about 5 years from the date of manufacture. After that they are potential disasters. They can fail at any time regardless of the amount of tread left.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:25 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
I don't get the Parachute analogy

Unless your camping in a really remote area, it seems to me the only risk in not having a spare for your trailer is a couple hours using your TV taking the wheel to a garage/tire dealer to get fixed. Not having a spare for your TV is another thing (not a good idea). Not having a parachute when you need one leads to a really, really bad day.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:36 AM   #23

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Ah So True...

"Unless your camping in a really remote area, it seems to me the only risk in not having a spare for your trailer is a couple hours using your TV taking the wheel to a garage/tire dealer to get fixed."

My personal experience has been that the likelyhood of failure is directly proportional to the distance I am from a open dealer. Factor in the time of day, day of the week, or locale Iíve had too add multiplier of 2 to 3 on top of that. In 1978 I had just such an occurance in AZ. Itís a great story around the fire with a beer, or three, but it sure made for a loooong day. Proof again that many 20-somethingís donít think past tomorrow.

Ahh but it sure was funÖ

Our spares make a great awning tie-downs...Never had them on the trailers, and with twin axles I'm not overly worried, but there is a certain comfort in having it them.

Regards,

Kevin

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The only time we've needed a spare for our trailer, we haven't had one.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Shhhhhh Never..
But,
now that it's been mention...
I am gonna be on the look out..lol
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePfznik View Post
I don't get the Parachute analogy...Not having a parachute when you need one leads to a really, really bad day.
That's when the reserve parachute comes into play ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
Your question reminds me of a cost-cutting study done on Naval aviators' use of reserve parachutes. Very few people had actually used them but everyone seemed to want to keep them.
Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:45 AM   #27
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Only once in four years and about 20,000 miles.
Driving my new Airstream home in 2005, I noticed one tire was soft, so I added air. On the next trip it was low again and it appeared to lose air while it sitting idle. So one day I inspected the entire thread and found the end of a screw in it. Had it repaid locally and examined the screw.
Guess what? It was just like the hex head fasteners the factory uses. I call Airstream and got nowhere. A year later while visiting the factory, I showed them the fastener and they acknowledged it was the type they used but didnít offer to do anything about it.
Back to the topic: Driving and towing without a spare tire, spare parts and tools is not recommended.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoePfznik View Post
Unless your camping in a really remote area, it seems to me the only risk in not having a spare for your trailer is a couple hours using your TV taking the wheel to a garage/tire dealer to get fixed. Not having a spare for your TV is another thing (not a good idea). Not having a parachute when you need one leads to a really, really bad day.

"I don't get the Parachute analogy"

I do. I have had to use my spare once and it was not remote at all but in the middle of the city a few miles from home. I hit a curb and cut a tire, bent a rim, bent a axel and had to stop in a bad part of New Orleans at night with the family. Due to road conditions I could not continue and would of at the least had to remove the damaged tire and wheel. The tire could not be repaired and no place to get tire or rim at 10 PM. I was not going to unhitch and leave the trailer exposed to vandalism or theft. I swapped out the tire and got the unit home. I replaced a axel, wheel and a tire the following month.

A single axel trailer is more at risk than a multi.
Time is money if you have a couple of hours to sit at a campsite or on the side of the road or if you are comfortable abandoning your trailer while you try to find a repair shop then I guess a spare is not important.

Things I carry. Related to flat tires.

Spare Tire.
12 Volt air pump 2 just because that is what I have one in trailer one in TV. I understand that Slime makes a unit with high capacity and is the one to have.
2 Cans tire inflator stuff. Just in case.
Tire plug kit, will get you to the station for a proper patch.
Tire Air Pressure Gauge.
Cross Wrench
Bottle Jack
Blocking to roll trailer up on to remove offending tire if necessary.
Gun, first statement out of my wife’s mouth was “do you have your gun”. (I have a CC permit) Remember Bill Cosby had a son killed while stopped on the side of the road, this happens more often than you want to believe.

I stow the spare with valve down and check when I check my tires air pressure same for TV.

I purchased my spare and wheel for under a $100.00 shipped to my door, it paid for itself in one use.

If I had been a better driver I would of not needed the spare so YMMV.

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote