Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
1986 34.5' Airstream 345
PALM SPRINGS , California
Nothing can ruin a trip like a tire blow out. I regularly replace all of my
tires at 50% tread wear or 4 to 5 years, whichever comes first. The cost of trying to get every last year or mile out of a tire is that, sooner or later,
you will be broken down by the road with a blow out.

Blow outs can be very inconvenient and expensive. You may have
difficulty finding the right tire where the blow out happens. In addition,
the blow out may damage your trailer shell, which will be really big
money!

CLARKGAREN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
I replace tires at 5 years regardless of miles.

Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:50 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I'm at 6 years since manufacturer of my 16" Michelins. I have inside storage with my trailer on a concrete floor with a mat that I keep between the tires and the floor. It's also humidity controlled and well insulated. Bottom line I'm pretty much storing in ideal conditions. I looked them over and see no signs of any cracking or decomposition. My van which also sits inside in similar conditions went 10 years before I decided to do the replacement on it's 16" General's.

Obviously I'm going to watch them carefully, but I believe I should get this year out of them and then next spring seriously consider making the replacements.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:53 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Houston , Texas
Safety before economy

The recommended run period for any trailer tire is five years. The tire manufacture date is stamped on the sidewall representing month and year. Your replacement target date is five years from the mfg date, not your purchase date. Your tires could already be several months old when you drive your AS off the lot. You just have to get over the fact that your trailer tires will age out before they wear out. The reasoning here is simple: the cost to replace your tires is relatively inexpensive compared to the cost to repair the damage to your AS should you have a blowout. Consider it a good sleep at night insurance policy.

Happy travels, Luckyman
Luckyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 01:47 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
First sign of "dry-rot" or any cracks, either between treads or elsewhere they get replaced, IF the load has not been close to max tire rating that is. If running close to max load per tire then 6 years max. Cracks or not. IMO
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:25 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Replaced our Michelin XPS RIB tires at 5 years, 10 months. See details:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ml#post2110980
73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Five years maximum on any tires despite the tread depth.
Happy trails.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:39 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
That same type of cracking (dry rotting) can occur on other parts of the tire side wall or in between the tire treads. Once this is visible it is time to head to the tire shop.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Yup look between the treads as well.

Had a 5 year old pair of ST tires that had lots of good tread left on them & no signs of any issues with the tires at the start of a 4 week trip - week 2 of trip and 2500 miles later one of them came apart between the treads.

The trailer BTW lived undercover on a cement pad.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFL View Post
Hereís a pic if dry rotted tire
Man, that is MAJOR dry rot. I wouldn't drive more than 10 minutes at 10 mph to the tire store to replace that!

I have seen old tires that look black and almost new, until the trailer is moved... then little "lips" open up and close along the sidewalls as the weight bears down on the bottom of the tire. I think the owner did regularly put tire black (rubber conditioner) on the tires. I had to get into hos truck and move the trailer back and forward slowly to show him what I had seen. (Covering tires and using a conditioner may help for an extra year or two... but his tires were 10 years old.

I'd rather pay $800 for new tires than $8000 for a new wheel well and lower side panel replacement.

Paula
Old 06-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
I note that other trailer mfg say 3 to 5 years in their owner's manuals and tires should be replaced.
Do not confuse the 10 year max, no mater what they look like warning from Michelin for motorhomes for the tire life on multi-axle trailers.
I cover all this in a number of posts on my RVTireSafety blog.

There is solid engineering behind this recommendation. The cost to repair the RV if you suffer a belt/tread separation is sometimes more than the cost of a set of tires.

I wonder how many AS owners have read and follow the advice in your manual? Have you had your RV weighed? Each axle? Each tire?
Old 06-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Tire life

I spent 24 years in the tire biz. The industry position is 4 years but that can have some discretion (in my opinion) if storage is not in high heat and if tires are covered from sun.
Here in Canada I just changed mine at 6 years.
The ozone from sun hardens the rubber which builds up heat when running.
Most car manufacturers recommend 4-6 years for automobiles. Check your manual or factory web site if you donít believe.
Long storage also causes the flat spit to develop memory which also builds heat when first pulling.
The real question is do you want to have tire trouble when pulling or be leaking repaired in advance.
arstrmlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #26
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Our standard for Michelin tires has been 5 years. That is based on using a safety factor against an expected 7 year life. This standard is for our trip vehicle and has been in play since the turn of the century. For the trailer, which we believe is more harsh duty, the replacement was 2 years for GYMs and will be 4-5 years for the Michelins based on the near term use plans. If 4 years old and a major trip is planned, they will get replaced. If light use is planned, the replacement will get pushed a bit. Light use would be slow travel for a short distance with a known route and destination. If we have any concerns, they get replaced. Did that with two tires last year, because of a puncture. Brakes and tires are not expensive. Break downs on a trip are expensive in $s and more importantly, in time. Do it before you need it.

Trave safe. Grow the smiles and enjoy that shiny. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #27

Early , Arkansas
3 years is my limit. Prevents blowouts and body repair. Gives you peace
early201830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:32 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Shoulda, Woulda, Coulda... varies with brand and tire use.

My 14 inch Marathons were junk when they were installed at the Airstream factory in Jackson Center, USA. The second week of ownership I saw small bubbles on the outside smooth surface, towed over to a Goodyear Dealer and he agreed... bubbles in the exterior wall. Charged me $89... under warranty for another 14" Marathon. For these tires... maybe one year is enough and then replace with something better.

Never went back to a Goodyear Dealer. Costco takes care of its customers.

The trailer was new. The tire was made in New Zealand and already was turning greyish on the surface underneath this Black Goop the Denver Dealer coated the exteriors to make them... look black. Do not get this stuff on your hands...

The Michelins... currently on our 18" LT Toyota Land Cruiser and 18" LTX F350 Ford, and 16" LTX Airstream. Press your finger into the tire tread and it is pliable and feels like rubber. The Marathons were a totally different composition, as they were hard and slick to the touch. Tireman will be best to explain the difference.

I expect to use these tires until they look like a NEW Goodyear Marathon. I do hope the 'rubber' used in the Goodyear Endurance, lives up to its name. I could not run the Marathons further than to the dump.

I will keep the Michelins... up to the point the tread is worn down, no less than 50%, or they look like the Goodyear Marathon tires. Hard, greyish and slick from the factory in New Zealand.

It bothers me that Goodyear 'improved' their Marathons after our experience. But... I bet you that you can press your finger nail into the side wall and it feels like... rubber and not a floor mat in the recycling bin at the landfill of the 'Marathon Days'.

I do believe if you understand that sun, ozone and heat are tire killers.... we should easily get six years of use before the tire rubber breaks down. If I get six... seven... or more... you can bet your Goodyear... that I will be back crowing about it.

If the Michelins do not make the grade... well, it will be a sad day in Hell for me. But will not make up any story about the shoulda, woulda, coulda experiences of a previous brand.