Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 PM   #61
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
.... and being two years old I am assuming the tires have some life left. I don't know exactly how much the previous owner used the trailer, but it looks like not much. And I will be keeping it parked in an RV lot 49 weeks out of the year. Sooo....

How long before I have to replace the tires?

Yes, I will inspect them and keep them properly inflated and all that. But with my use, I should expect to get at least 5 years out of them? Thoughts?
Although you may observe deteriorated tire condition which can move you to take a tire out of service, you cannot okay ST tires for service by visual inspection. They "age out" in 3-5 years. The clock starts ticking when they are manufactured, so learn how to read the manufacture date.
Michael
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:42 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When our 2014 Classic came down the line in January 0f 2014, they installed GYM tires that were about five months old. So one is wise to examine the GYM tires before purchase if the unit had sat on the dealer lot for a long time. One should press for new tires as part of the deal if the trailer sat there over a year.

With the Classic, I did not care as I immediately took them off for the 16" Michelins as soon as I got the unit too the storage shed. The Michelin tire swap for the 23D was done before I even left the dealer location as I brought them mounted from Arizona.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 10:58 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
My advise to anyone purchasing a new or used Airstream from a dealer is that they agree to swap the GYM with Michelins as part of the deal. Why buy a new unit and subject yourself to all the hassle a GYM tire failure could cause.
The arrogance of Airstream management regarding these tire issues is deeply disturbing. For what we pay for these units not only should we get the best possible tires on the market they should come on gold plated rims.
Why do you think the Michelins are better than the GYMs? I cannot find any information on the number of Michelin LT tires used on trailers compared to the number of GYMs (or any ST tire) with statistics for blowouts, longevity or anything else. I agree that the Michelins have a higher speed rating but since I don't go past 70, usually at 65, extra speed rating is not a benefit for me. (It used to be on the Goodyear site, that if you overinflate by 10 lbs. you can go up to 70. This reduces the amount of heat buildup. I cannot find this statement anymore.)

My point is that I haven't found anything beyond anecdotal information to confirm that Michelins are better than GYMs on trailers. I'd like to see some empirical data but it just doesn't exist. I can't even find the percentage of Michelins installed on trailers vs. installed on trucks or cars. I've tried, found some interesting information, but the tire industry is very protective of their data.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 11:24 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My anecdotal evidence was real life experience for me.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:15 PM   #65
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Believe it was Tireman9 who posted that you can see belt separation by free rotation of the tire and measuring the variance in diameter and tread position by checking radial and axial run out. So it is possible to visually observe the degradation at least once a belt moves. I did not get the idea that this approach would find all belt failures and my thought was that it would be difficult to check often enough to insure that no in service tire failures would occur.

Have had good luck for the last couple of months with the GYMs. They seem to be doing quite well now. The key to their long life is to keep them inflated properly and rotate them every month or two from the top to the bottom of the stack. Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	398.5 KB
ID:	262686  
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 01:48 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I kept the Goodyear Marathons inflated, but only rotated them once per year.
Surely these tires don't actually require monthly or bi-monthly rotation.
I can understand rotating maybe every 5,000-10,000 miles.
Yet another reason I'm glad they're gone and some LT truck tires are in their place.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
[QUOTE=richw46;1792576
My point is that I haven't found anything beyond anecdotal information to confirm that Michelins are better than GYMs on trailers. I'd like to see some empirical data but it just doesn't exist. I can't even find the percentage of Michelins installed on trailers vs. installed on trucks or cars. I've tried, found some interesting information, but the tire industry is very protective of their data. [/QUOTE]

I can't speak for anyone else on this forum. A key point for me is in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards on tires. These standards specify tests that tires have to pass, things like "run on a roller at x% of rated load for y amount of time at a temperature of z". Standard 139 sets the requirements for LT and passenger car tires. Standard 109 is applies to ST tires. Standard 109 is significantly weaker. Meaning for an ST tire and and LT tire with the same weight rating written on the sidewall, the LT more likely run without failing.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:54 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
It used to be on the Goodyear site, that if you overinflate by 10 lbs. you can go up to 70. This reduces the amount of heat buildup. I cannot find this statement anymore.
Here you go:

https://www.tirerack.com/images/tire...plications.pdf
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
My anecdotal evidence was real life experience for me.
Exactly, anecdotal. It is just your personal experience. Even combined with all the experiences of the members here, it's still only anecdotal. There's no basis on which any conclusions can be drawn because there's not enough evidence. There's no statistical analysis. That's all I'm saying. You've had a bad experience, others may have had a good experience. Nothing scientific

In other words.... your mileage may vary
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #70
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
MH - rotation from the bottom of the stack to the top is quite easy once you get the hang of it. Does not even require a torque wrench or a jack. Just be sure to keep them properly inflated for the load. Not having any problem exceeding 65mph with them either.

My AS tech told me he used to test Michelins. Testing, what a concept! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:08 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If 100 people on this forum have the same experience, it must have merit.
I was skeptical, too, until it happened to me.
No I'm a believer.
The folks on Airforums didn't convince me.
2 tire failures in 3 years on one trailer and 3 tire failures in 3 years on another trailer convinced me.
Yes, I have even had a couple of blowouts on Michelin tires, but overall I have never seen the number of tire failures on ST tires on P-rated or LT tires.
How many real world experiences does it take?
How many real world experiences with Firestone tires on Ford Explorers did it take?
How many real world experiences with Firestone tires on Ford Pintos did it take?
I guess it becomes more than anecdotal when a government agency steps in or there is a class action lawsuit?
Keep on using Goodyear Marathons and rotating them once a month if you want to.
I ain't mad at ya.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-17-2016, 03:32 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquared View Post
I can't speak for anyone else on this forum. A key point for me is in the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards on tires. These standards specify tests that tires have to pass, things like "run on a roller at x% of rated load for y amount of time at a temperature of z". Standard 139 sets the requirements for LT and passenger car tires. Standard 109 is applies to ST tires. Standard 109 is significantly weaker. Meaning for an ST tire and and LT tire with the same weight rating written on the sidewall, the LT more likely run without failing.
I don't know why one standard would be higher than the other, I don't know what requirements were created for the standards. One is a trailer tire, the other is for vehicles that carry passengers. Although one is a tougher standard, it is for passenger vehicles and not for a trailer. Passenger vehicles are used daily, trailers can sit for long periods.

There is a standard for each tire, but is each tire tested to meet that standard or is there just a sampling of those tires tested for the respective standard? How many tires tested for each group failed to meet their standard? How many LT tires on trailers fail compared to ST tires on trailers? How many LT tires were sold to be used on trailers compared to all ST tires sold for the same time period?

Again, there just isn't enough data provided to the consumer to make a valid comparison. All we have is anecdotal evidence.... It doesn't really matter what tire you choose because you have not based your choice on any real evidence, just your experiences or someone else's experience who's opinion you value.

I'm no different, I'm the same as everyone else. I just wish we had access to that information so we could make an informed choice.

Tastes great!
No
Less Filling!
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-17-2016, 03:35 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I wouldn't be too sure. This forum is not representative of the Airstream community, statistically speaking. What I mean is there are many, many more satisfied Airstream owners out there that are not Airstream forum members.

Think about it. One of the reasons people come to a forum is to seek help for problems. It is like walking into a hospital, and asking "is anyone sick here"? And when you see all the raised hands, you think "there must be an epidemic". Something like that.

I don't discount the experiences told by fellow forum members. But I don't accept them as the definitive truth either without some compelling data to back them up. Between this, batteries cooking, filiform corrosion, water leaks, and other manner of "forum feedback", you would think the Airstream is the worst trailer ever built. When the fact is the opposite. 60% of all Airstreams ever built are still in use today. That data point speaks for itself.

If and when I suffer a tire failure, I will certainly consider swapping my 15" GYM for 16" Michelins. But I am not going to swap perfectly good tires that have not failed, as some have suggested and done, because of forum feedback absent some other supporting data.

For example, here is a recall of 100,000 Michelin tires due to blowout risk.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/recal...t-risk-388433/

This is not forum feedback. This is Michelin having done an actual recall some years back. How should I factor this into my tire selection calculation?

Just one data point. One of many.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:42 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Excellent! Thanks MrPrez. That's even better than the blurb I found at Goodyear. I won't be going 75 but on flat land, 65-70 is just fine for me.

Thanks for posting
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Old 05-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
Excellent! Thanks MrPrez. That's even better than the blurb I found at Goodyear. I won't be going 75 but on flat land, 65-70 is just fine for me.

Thanks for posting
You betcha! 70 in short bursts is about as fast as I am going. Normally you'll find me in the right lane going 65. I'll get there sooner or later.
Old 05-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

Liberty Corner , New Jersey
Another source of info for the applicability of Michelin tires on trailers is to ask them which of their tires work on our trailers. Afterall they are in the business to sell tires and should be eager to let you know.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabin View Post
Another source of info for the applicability of Michelin tires on trailers is to ask them which of their tires work on our trailers. Afterall they are in the business to sell tires and should be eager to let you know.
Their tires are not designed for use on trailers. Someone on here did ask them. If I recall right they did not recommend LT tires on a trailer.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:24 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Since Airstream has installed the 16" SenDel T03-67655T wheels with the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires on the Eddie Bauer model for years, the Classics starting in 2015 and the limited edition Pendleton currently, they have experience and have to stand behind the installation. As one walks into the Customer Service Center at the factory, just inside the door is an example of these tires and wheels and the offer to install them on recent wide body models.

So one can safely say that these LT tires are trailer approved by Airstream. who has the most to loose if there are issues.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 05-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Then I wonder why Michelin markets a set of tires specifically for RVs and it's not the LT tires.

http://www.michelintruck.com/tires-a...or/#!/info/xrv

"All-position radial designed specifically for exceptional performance on recreational vehicles and motor homes in coach applications."
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Upon closer inspection of your link, the tire diameters listed are for the large buses, very few if any towable RV trailers use tires with wheels larger than 16" in diameter.