Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The Discount Tire website "trailer tire facts" document says 3-5 years, or 5000-12,000 miles.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 PM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Tires really don't care on what they sit, (terra excluded) ....I use a drainage tile on the pad, my "old school" brain 'sez dry is best.

From the Michelin Man...

"If you switch between sets of tires, proper storage ensures that your tires’ appearance and performance are maintained.

Tires should always be stored in a cool, dry, clean, indoor environment.

If tires sit outdoors, unused for long periods of time (a month or more), their surfaces will become dry and surface cracks can appear.

Before removing your tires, note their position on your car. This will allow you to properly rotate your tires next time you mount them to ensure that they wear evenly.

Inspect each one for damage or uneven wear.

Clean your wheels and tires with water and dry them well to limit any corrosion.
Remove any stones or debris that have been trapped in the tire grooves.

Storing your tires:

Store your tires indoors in a clean, cool and dark location away from direct sunlight, sources of heat and ozone such as hot pipes or electric generators.

If you are storing outdoors (recommended for a short time only), raise tires off the ground and use waterproof covering with holes to prevent moisture build-up.

Be sure the surfaces on which tires are stored are clean and free from grease, gasoline, solvents, oils or other substances that could deteriorate the rubber.

For aesthetic reasons, if your tires have whitewall or raised white lettering, store them with the whitewall or raised white lettering facing each other. Otherwise, black rubber could stain them.

If tires are on a vehicle parked for a long period, the weight of the vehicle needs to be taken off the tires by jacking it up or removing the tires. Failure to do this may cause irreversible damage."

Bob
Old 05-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The tire question is one of managing risk. $1500 for tires vs $3-5000 for blow out repairs. You choose.

Long sitting is not good for tires, but can be mitigated with UV protection, removal, and regular replacement.

Tread depth is not a measure of tire health. Highly likely that if the side walls are cracked, you will recognize you have waited too long, but that may be too long. It is supposed to be possible to raise the tire and rotate it while checking for axial and radial run out. Those conditions would be indicative of a belt separation, which is expected to be an indication of tire failure.

If you expect to keep the coach in the park for 49 weeks, removing tires to store out of the sun in a cool and dry location is the ideal approach. Using the rig on a regular basis would be a better use of the asset. Your money, your life.

Good luck with your plan and travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
If you expect to keep the coach in the park for 49 weeks, removing tires to store out of the sun in a cool and dry location is the ideal approach. Using the rig on a regular basis would be a better use of the asset. Your money, your life.

Good luck with your plan and travel safe. Pat
I don't think it is practical to remove the tires off the trailer. Not that I am not handy, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

If I travel three times a year then yes, they will be sitting idle for 49 weeks, but not in a row. So every 4 months I expect to take a 1 week trip. I am not going to remove the install the tires 3 times a year.

I mean, there is a point where taking precautions takes the enjoyment out of the endeavor. I am not advocating driving them 30,000 miles a year for 10 years, but I should expect 5 years out of them before I replace them. I mean, I have to pick a number. I will inspect them and take care of them, but when they turn 5 I will replace them regardless.

I could wait 7 years. Or do it in 3. I think that is where your tolerance for risk comes in. If I notice cracks next year, then by all means I will replace them. But if I don't notice any cracks or unusual wear, I should feel confident they will perform for 5 years. Can they still blow out? Of course they can. And I can also win the lottery. But I don't plan my life around that either.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Or blow out did you say?
Rhetorical question or selctive reading?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Tire threads are very common in this forum. The conversation of the quality, size and tire life is sportily discussed over and over.

I was glad to read these threads before ever buying my first RV ever, a 2013 25FB International Serenity. I had prior tire failure experience on a tandem axle motorcycle trailer with GYM ST tires. I was able to connect the dots to the GYM ST tires that would be on my new Airstream.

I ordered and installed the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires along with the Centramatic wheel balancers before I took the trailer out of the storage unit after getting it home. I had experience with the Centramatic wheel balancers on my two Honda Gold Wing motorcycles and never needed to balance the tires after the Centramatic balancers were installed on the bikes.

As more time elapsed, I picked ip on the concept of a TPMS system and selected the Dill 1506-453 TPMS for both new trailers.

The Classic was immediately migrated to the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires.

I have appreciated the collective experiences shared here which has allowed meet make a more informed decision on tires and associated wheels and running gear.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I will never run ST tires ever again. Recent trip to FL was eye opening, must have seen 6 RV blowouts. Were they all STs? I don't know. But what I saw has me running only the best I can buy no longer than 5 years of age. Even a 5th wheel in our party blew a ST tire, ripped the fender all up. 2012 trailer never used. There were RVs all up and down I95 with blowouts. Both campgrounds we stayed at had trailers with the spares on. Just go looking for them. My 15" GYMs and wheels are for sale including the spare that came off a 2015 trailer. PM me if you want them.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:21 PM   #28
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
My 15" GYMs and wheels are for sale including the spare that came off a 2015 trailer. PM me if you want them.

If ST tires are so inherently bad, I cannot imagine that you would actually take money for those you have for sale! 😀

Just send them my way for nuthin'! 🎁

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about" Rod Stewart (Faces)
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:33 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgentum View Post
Also: I've read several posts on this Forum that tires should not be left sitting on concrete. If your are storing your AS on a concrete floor, I'd back the trailer's tires over plywood or OSB squares, to keep them off the concrete.
In Canada, the local Canadian Tire Store, and hardwares etc. have thin plastic cutting boards that cost about 4-5 bucks a set of four.
These are handy for setting under the tires to protect them from concrete and asphalt etc. Easy to transport too to the next spot.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think there is a lot of truth in that excuse. Same with the flexible rods in your axles. Taking it for a drive is good for it, rotate the bearings, flex the rubber tires and suspension, use the brakes, compress the shocks, flex the body/frame. All good stuff.
Remember the old 'saw'; "Use it or lose it".
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
If ST tires are so inherently bad, I cannot imagine that you would actually take money for those you have for sale! 😀

Just send them my way for nuthin'! 🎁

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about" Rod Stewart (Faces)
Well they appear to be in fine shape and since Thor puts them on Airstreams, they must be worth something.

The wheels are fine, the spare has never been bolted on.

I'm not saying ST tires are bad, I'm just saying I'll never use them.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #32
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
I don't think it is practical to remove the tires -- snip -- I am not going to remove the install the tires 3 times a year. -- snip -- But if I don't notice any cracks or unusual wear, I should feel confident they will perform for 5 years. -- snip --.
Agreed - not practical to remove tires three times a year. My apology for suggesting that approach. I would not do that either.

Disagree - With better tires, you can get 5 years. With STs, you are at risk. The tire threads report that folks have had STs fail in their first year and others that have lasted 7-10 years. The risk is that the damage significantly exceeds the cost of new tires. Bad odds.

No crystal ball here and am not willing to constantly inspect the tires for radial or axial runout, so I purchased new tires. We all make our own choices. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:05 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
We had access to sheets of particle board that we put down on the asphalt under the trailer tires in our storage unit. We cover the tires even though they are in the shade. Biggest issue is the dry heat in the summer in Phoenix.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 05-06-2016, 10:00 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
There is nothing new under the sun.
If you keep using ST tires, 3 years is time to replace.
That window and the 65 mph speed limit will be increased if you do the 16" wheel/tire upgrade.
With 16" wheels/tires you can exceed 65 mph if you choose (I still go no more than 65 for fuel economy and safety/space in front of my vehicle/reaction time/stopping distance).
With 16" wheels and tires you are less likely to have a tread separation.
The 16" LT tires will last more like 5-7 years before needing replacement.
In the long run, the wheel/tire upgrade will pay for itself and make your rig safer, and give you peace of mind.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:10 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Tractor Supply sells horse stall mats. Thick rubber. 39.95. Cut in half and use under tires.
Keeps your tires off concrete and dirt floors.
Cheap insurance.
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:13 AM   #36
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockville Centre , New York
Best tires for 28foot international

I I'm using goodyr tire now , buy in February 2011 think about changing them should I use the same one ?
Or what is the best tire 225/75 r15
JMBORST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #37
Casual camper

2015 28' International
Selbyville , Delaware
On my first Airstream(2000 30' Excella), I wasn't sure myself. I ran that trailer until the tires blew! One at a time I changed them. Everytime I would ask the tire man at the tire center in whatever town I was in and I got the same answer. 5 YEARS! Now were they all just trying to get me to change my old tires out or is that the industry answer. I now think that this is what we should do. I learned my lesson and will change out my tires every 5 years. Like everyone has told me, it's not the miles, it's the age. Buying tires is like getting insurance. Don't do it and it's on you! Like Clint said, "Do you feel lucky?" Well do you?
Mikem1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
My tire guy says four years if the trailer is towed a lot, shorter time if it sits.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
The day the tire comes out of the mold, it starts deteriorating so the date code on the side of the tire can tell you if you have new or old tires when they reinstalled. You would like them to be less than six weeks old when they are initially installed.

Old 05-11-2016, 04:20 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
The day the tire comes out of the mold, it starts deteriorating ...

Welcome to life... 😀
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote