Old 05-05-2016, 12:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
5 years or when they are worn out or blow out. Hopefully I will reach the 5 year goal before new tires are necessary. With proper care, inflation preasure and speed limitations there are few reasons to expect not to be able too inspite of what the brand haters say.
Or blow out did you say?
I had one blow after thinking the very same thing since the tires only had about 12 M miles on them.
I had one blow out on I-4 while in the middle lane. Later we found the two others were also in the beginning stages of thread separation. Four new Michelins cost me $ 600.00. To repair the damage the blow out caused to the side of the trailer, $ 9,400.00 and a round trip to Jackson Center Ohio.

Yes some people seem to have good luck with GYM and some others like me get hurt real bad by them. I don't hate them I just refuse to take the risk.
You don't need to go to 16" wheels to put Michelin's on.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
My RV pad is concrete so I was going to put down a rubber parking mat under the tires. Wood will probably rot, won't it?
Mine is just cheap plywood. It has survived 1 winter. I have plenty more scrap pieces of it laying around. Rather than 2 long ones I have 4 short ones, makes it easier to store in the bumper.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Checking at the Goodyear site, they have no RV tire replacement guidelines. Tires that are used regularly have a longer life span, they say. Here is the gist of it:

Tire Replacement Guidelines
Goodyear does not state a specific replacement age for RV tires because there are many conditions that dictate a tire's life span. Some factors that influence how long a tire will last are:
Usage per year - more frequent usage will result in longer life
Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)
Usage in warmer climates can also impact a tire's overall life due to greater extreme ozone exposure

Sidewall Weathering
Weather cracking is a naturally occurring condition that results from exposure to heat and sunlight. Goodyear's warranty for weather cracking is four years from purchase date (or four years from manufacture date if proof of purchase is not available).

Weather cracking is common in RV tires from all manufacturers.

• Appears as crazing and or cracking in the flex area of the sidewall
  • Probable causes of sidewall weathering
    — Long periods of inactivity or storage
    — Direct exposure to air and sunlight
    — Exposure to high levels of ozone (smog, electrical generators)
    — Excessive washing or dressing using alcohol or petroleum based cleaners
When should the tire be replaced?
  • Cracks > 2/32" deep
  • Internal components of tire (steel or fabric body plies) are visible
Without evidence of weather cracking, use the following as a gauge:
  • Usage per year --More frequent usage will result in longer life
  • Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)
  • Casing quality --Absence of repairs, liner wrinkles, weather cracking, sidewall scuffs or cuts

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:19 PM   #18
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
That's it! That's my excuse for taking her out.

"But honey, the tires need exercise!".

I love it.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #19
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I get new every three years. I travel about 22 k a Season.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCStreamer View Post
That's it! That's my excuse for taking her out.

"But honey, the tires need exercise!".

I love it.
I think there is a lot of truth in that excuse. Same with the flexible rods in your axles. Taking it for a drive is good for it, rotate the bearings, flex the rubber tires and suspension, use the brakes, compress the shocks, flex the body/frame. All good stuff.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 22' FB Sport
San Antonio , Texas
The Discount Tire website "trailer tire facts" document says 3-5 years, or 5000-12,000 miles.

Cannonball, Deep in the Heart of Texas!

WBCCI #4387, Air #84080

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-05-2016, 02:20 PM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Tires really don't care on what they sit, (terra excluded) ....I use a drainage tile on the pad, my "old school" brain 'sez dry is best.

From the Michelin Man...

"If you switch between sets of tires, proper storage ensures that your tires’ appearance and performance are maintained.

Tires should always be stored in a cool, dry, clean, indoor environment.

If tires sit outdoors, unused for long periods of time (a month or more), their surfaces will become dry and surface cracks can appear.

Before removing your tires, note their position on your car. This will allow you to properly rotate your tires next time you mount them to ensure that they wear evenly.

Inspect each one for damage or uneven wear.

Clean your wheels and tires with water and dry them well to limit any corrosion.
Remove any stones or debris that have been trapped in the tire grooves.

Storing your tires:

Store your tires indoors in a clean, cool and dark location away from direct sunlight, sources of heat and ozone such as hot pipes or electric generators.

If you are storing outdoors (recommended for a short time only), raise tires off the ground and use waterproof covering with holes to prevent moisture build-up.

Be sure the surfaces on which tires are stored are clean and free from grease, gasoline, solvents, oils or other substances that could deteriorate the rubber.

For aesthetic reasons, if your tires have whitewall or raised white lettering, store them with the whitewall or raised white lettering facing each other. Otherwise, black rubber could stain them.

If tires are on a vehicle parked for a long period, the weight of the vehicle needs to be taken off the tires by jacking it up or removing the tires. Failure to do this may cause irreversible damage."

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #23
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
The tire question is one of managing risk. $1500 for tires vs $3-5000 for blow out repairs. You choose.

Long sitting is not good for tires, but can be mitigated with UV protection, removal, and regular replacement.

Tread depth is not a measure of tire health. Highly likely that if the side walls are cracked, you will recognize you have waited too long, but that may be too long. It is supposed to be possible to raise the tire and rotate it while checking for axial and radial run out. Those conditions would be indicative of a belt separation, which is expected to be an indication of tire failure.

If you expect to keep the coach in the park for 49 weeks, removing tires to store out of the sun in a cool and dry location is the ideal approach. Using the rig on a regular basis would be a better use of the asset. Your money, your life.

Good luck with your plan and travel safe. Pat
Old 05-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #24
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
If you expect to keep the coach in the park for 49 weeks, removing tires to store out of the sun in a cool and dry location is the ideal approach. Using the rig on a regular basis would be a better use of the asset. Your money, your life.

Good luck with your plan and travel safe. Pat
I don't think it is practical to remove the tires off the trailer. Not that I am not handy, but that kinda defeats the purpose.

If I travel three times a year then yes, they will be sitting idle for 49 weeks, but not in a row. So every 4 months I expect to take a 1 week trip. I am not going to remove the install the tires 3 times a year.

I mean, there is a point where taking precautions takes the enjoyment out of the endeavor. I am not advocating driving them 30,000 miles a year for 10 years, but I should expect 5 years out of them before I replace them. I mean, I have to pick a number. I will inspect them and take care of them, but when they turn 5 I will replace them regardless.

I could wait 7 years. Or do it in 3. I think that is where your tolerance for risk comes in. If I notice cracks next year, then by all means I will replace them. But if I don't notice any cracks or unusual wear, I should feel confident they will perform for 5 years. Can they still blow out? Of course they can. And I can also win the lottery. But I don't plan my life around that either.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Or blow out did you say?
Rhetorical question or selctive reading?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:06 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Tire threads are very common in this forum. The conversation of the quality, size and tire life is sportily discussed over and over.

I was glad to read these threads before ever buying my first RV ever, a 2013 25FB International Serenity. I had prior tire failure experience on a tandem axle motorcycle trailer with GYM ST tires. I was able to connect the dots to the GYM ST tires that would be on my new Airstream.

I ordered and installed the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires along with the Centramatic wheel balancers before I took the trailer out of the storage unit after getting it home. I had experience with the Centramatic wheel balancers on my two Honda Gold Wing motorcycles and never needed to balance the tires after the Centramatic balancers were installed on the bikes.

As more time elapsed, I picked ip on the concept of a TPMS system and selected the Dill 1506-453 TPMS for both new trailers.

The Classic was immediately migrated to the 16" Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires.

I have appreciated the collective experiences shared here which has allowed meet make a more informed decision on tires and associated wheels and running gear.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I will never run ST tires ever again. Recent trip to FL was eye opening, must have seen 6 RV blowouts. Were they all STs? I don't know. But what I saw has me running only the best I can buy no longer than 5 years of age. Even a 5th wheel in our party blew a ST tire, ripped the fender all up. 2012 trailer never used. There were RVs all up and down I95 with blowouts. Both campgrounds we stayed at had trailers with the spares on. Just go looking for them. My 15" GYMs and wheels are for sale including the spare that came off a 2015 trailer. PM me if you want them.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:21 PM   #28
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
My 15" GYMs and wheels are for sale including the spare that came off a 2015 trailer. PM me if you want them.

If ST tires are so inherently bad, I cannot imagine that you would actually take money for those you have for sale! 😀

Just send them my way for nuthin'! 🎁

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

"I don't mean to sound degrading but with a face like that you got nothing to laugh about" Rod Stewart (Faces)

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote