Old 04-25-2005, 07:41 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
assuming>>>> the tires are ok how about this, back it up on a block of wood and spin the hot tires do the brakes drag a little more on the front axel? or can you move the wheel back and forth maybe the bearings are loose... or tight...sorry... last post on the subject .... I think..... but remember ... always refer to the manual ... anything I may or may not say has not been endorsed by any trailer co.. or tire co... or pretty much anyone else... he he ...

Old 04-26-2005, 08:00 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Eden Prairie , Minnesota
Thanks for all the opinions. I was surprised at the amount of temperature difference between the front and rear tires given the slightly nose low condition of the trailer. An inch or two at the hitch must only be a fraction of an inch back at the axles - but it really makes a difference in the load between tires!

I will raise the hitch a notch and see if that levels the trailer, then check the tire temps on my next tow. I may not get to try it until Memorial Day due to work and kid obligations.

Old 04-29-2005, 01:32 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
gotair2:

Your comment brought up an interesting side topic that should probably be pursued in another thread. I apologize for my departure from the current thread topic.
Mr. Cracker , I also apologize... your post poped up befor I hit the key to send mine.... I was not refering to you... I was refering to any thing in my posts that others might dissagree with...my situation is different in that my wheel says max 45 and tires say max 55 so I defer to the wheel as a max pressure and due to the poor condition of the axle and shocks... combined with the underinflation of the tires (when cold !! ) when the pressures rise to high I will air them down to keep them within the max levels of the rims this is not something that I would recommend anyone else try.. I am working or correcting these issues now getting a new axle and shocks and maybe rims and tires as well... these things take time ...as my pockets are not that deep.. I will promiss not to air down my tires while anyone is looking ...next time one of those NASCAR pit crews airs down a tire I will think of this thread ..
Old 04-29-2005, 02:04 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Interesting topic.
I went to check the difference in tire temps on mine, front to back.
Then I realized I only had a single axle trailer!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:14 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Oakdale , Minnesota
One risk of following the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is that the "recommendation" is based on the original tire line (brand and size) purchased for the trailer by the manufacturer.

As many threads here have covered over and over, many folks are going to Marithons on vintage trailers. Even those who haven't switched to Marithons can not rely on your trailer's recommendations since you can't buy the same 7.00xr15 as came on the trailer when it rolled out of the factory. The static recommendation in your trailer's documentation (in our case in the 70's) is based on engineering and materials for very different conditions (Marithons today vs. 7.00xR15s then, or Goodyear 7.00xR15 then vs. Yokohama 7.00xR15s now).

Being an owner of a Vintage Sovereign, I will also NOT look at what is being recommended for tires coming off the line today on new Sovereigns. This is also a poor recommendation as today's trailers are significantly heavier than mine, making any recommendation invalid.

All of these scenarios provide a good guide for tire pressures, but can not be relied upon for "the perfect" answer.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 07:38 AM   #34
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotair2
my situation is different in that my wheel says max 45 and tires say max 55 so I defer to the wheel as a max pressure and due to the poor condition of the axle and shocks... when the pressures rise to high I will air them down to keep them within the max levels of the rims this is not something that I would recommend anyone else try..
After you put "cold" air in a tire, "NEVER" take air out of a "hot" tire. Those pressures are listed as cold inflation pressure, with engineers and designers have spent years calculating temperature-based inflation pressure increase, and have designed their tires and wheels accordingly. If you deflate the tires when they are hot to the cold inflation pressure, when they cool off again they will most likely be seriously underinflated. Instead of having 45psi, you may wind up with 38 psi, or less, depending on how hot your tires were when you adjusted the pressure, and how cold the tires are in the morning. Then, if you don't fill them up again, you will generate excess sidewall flexing, and much more heat in the tire, with increased risk of tire failure.
This is part of the issue with the Ford Explorer, Ford took a 5000 pound truck, and underinflated the tires, with predictable (at least in hindsight) results.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #35
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
One other thing to note is that all max inflation pressures on a tire are for maximum load. If the tire is not at maximum load then the inflation can be adjusted accordingly.

now for the $124.00 question. Do you KNOW what each axle/wheel of your trailer or MH weighs. If you know the exact weight, you would be able to adjust the cold pressure in each tire to the exact level that is needed for the load that tire is carrying.

OK, That is a bit much, but still I would be willing to bet that most of you do not know that one side of your trailer weighs more than the other.

Not just on the slide out models. All of them. How much changes from model to model. technically you should be running different pressures side to side if the variance is large enough.

Point is weigh it, and then using the tire manufacturers inflation chart for the weight set the pressure. If the cold pressure will exceed the maximum rim pressure then you need to go shopping. A rim failure caused by over-inflation can be catastrophic (read loss of trailer, tow vehicle, or more). As mentioned by others, the book is a starting point, but tire technology has changed in the last 30-40 years so old references can be obsolete.

Of course this is my opinion and you are free to do what ever you like
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master

3.14 x r x r = C
Simple formula to tell how round yer tires are!
Old 04-29-2005, 03:46 PM   #37
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
OK, That is a bit much, but still I would be willing to bet that most of you do not know that one side of your trailer weighs more than the other.

Not just on the slide out models. All of them. How much changes from model to model. technically you should be running different pressures side to side if the variance is large enough.
My trailer weighs just under 350 pounds more on the curbside, give or take, depending on how much beer is in the fridge.
Fridge, awning, range, microwave, and grey tank all on the curb side.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:46 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
3.14 x r x r = C
Oh no, even that's changed, has it? It used to be 2 x 3.14 x r = C (circumference), where 3.14 is an approximation for pi, and r is the radius, when I was at school. Your formula used to be for the area. I blame Einstein and his General Theory of Relativity. Is nothing sacred?? Nick.
Old 04-30-2005, 02:51 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Oh no, even that's changed, has it? It used to be 2 x 3.14 x r = C (circumference), where 3.14 is an approximation for pi, and r is the radius, when I was at school. Your formula used to be for the area. I blame Einstein and his General Theory of Relativity. Is nothing sacred?? Nick.
Crap.
No wonder why my degrees are in Electronics Engineering and Industrial Atuomation!
I suck at geometry!
Hit me with trig though and I will knock yer socks off!
Mechanical engineering is just a method for moving what I program!
Old 04-30-2005, 03:49 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
Circumference of Circle = PI x diameter = 2 PI x radius
where PI = PI = 3.141592...

http://www.math.com/tables/geometry/circles.htm

Good luck,
Larry
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:09 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudruff
Circumference of Circle = PI x diameter = 2 PI x radius
where PI = PI = 3.141592...

http://www.math.com/tables/geometry/circles.htm

Good luck,
Larry
I think we should let this thread get back on topic....
Old 04-30-2005, 04:23 PM   #42
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
3.14 x r x r = C
Guess I'm not sure what this formula has to do with the discussion. Can you let us know where you were going to go with this?