Old 11-06-2011, 05:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by edglenn View Post
So, if a LOT of RV owners seem to be having difficulty finding good quality tires to put on their Airstreams and wanting to avoid using utility trailer tires, then why isn't there a tire manufacturer catering to this demographic? Why should we have to go to "LT" tires?
RV's, especially Airstreams, are a good market. Why aren't the tire companies jumping through hoops to get our business?
It's not like the economy is so great that they can ignore a good market potential.
Am I missing something?
Its all about money, if they can sell a tire for $120 here that they buy in china for $20 they are going to do it.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
So, if a LOT of RV owners seem to be having difficulty finding good quality tires to put on their Airstreams and wanting to avoid using utility trailer tires, then why isn't there a tire manufacturer catering to this demographic? Why should we have to go to "LT" tires?
RV's, especially Airstreams, are a good market. Why aren't the tire companies jumping through hoops to get our business?
It's not like the economy is so great that they can ignore a good market potential.
Am I missing something?
Don't know the answer for sure, but I suspect that in the grand scheme of tire sales, trailer tires are a very small percentage, and the people who would pay a premium price for a premium trailer tire, such as Airstreamers, even smaller yet.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:53 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Take your choice...(chance)

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Take your choice...

Bob
Bob, It's pretty sad looking down that list, how few American tire companies there are left, let alone how many actual tires are made here now.

Is it the "global economy"?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Bob, It's pretty sad looking down that list, how few American tire companies there are left, let alone how many actual tires are made here now.

Is it the "global economy"?
It is for sure Steve....

If in fact there are many here who "love" the maxxis brand, and if it is a quality tire then how do we explain where it's made? It's not so much who but how, just think of JC.
Maybe they should consider....never mind.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

RLC
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Global Economy?

Without going into politics, one BIG reason American companies are outsourcing, is the tax code.
Companies that stay here, pay around 35% corporate tax (one of the highest in the world). Companies that "invest" overseas, get tax breaks. General Electric actually had a NEGATIVE tax balance of nearly 40% this year. In other words, we (us taxpayers) PAID G.E. to outsource manufacturing & jobs overseas. It was more than a Billion $.
Yes, the cost of labor is much cheaper abroad, but our tax code is a HUGE factor.
It's hard to buy American, if Congress keeps driving production out.
American's have one of the best work-ethics in the world!!!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Whatever....go to JC to see work apathy.

bic lighter, candy wrappers, caulking foot prints on the roof, screen falling off entry door, pantry slide lost its' balz, fell out first time it was loaded and many, many more.

Bob

RLC

RLC
Old 11-08-2011, 09:49 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Albuquerque , New Mexico
"JC" ? Abbreviateion for....?
Old 11-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
JC = Jackson Center, Ohio....where Airstreams are built.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:59 AM   #24
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
"JC" ? Abbreviateion for....?
JC = Jackson Center, Ohio (Airstream factory)

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I just put the 235/75-R15 BF Goodrich TA long trail on mine trailer and they look good and work fine. They are rated at 2185 and a similar trailer tire would probably be rated at 2500lb for the same weight of tire. Trailer tires are rated at 65 MPH so they can increase the load rating. I expect that a D rated trailer tire is like a C rated car tire or less even. They are made for light duty utility trailers that most of the time are empty and haul heavy loads for a few miles at slow speeds. The 235 tires are wider than trailer tires which is free load carrying capacity. The more area on the ground the less pressure it takes to lift a given load. The wider width with keep you from sinking on soft ground. I bought a bias ply tire as a spare and it had maybe 2/3 the contact area of the 235's. The tread is actually more narrow than the rim width. Your trailer is going to stick to the road much better with radial tires. I have driven cars and vans with bias ply tires and the traction of the radials is easily twice that of bias tires. Once your trailer starts to skid in an emergency you are screwed. Lets say your trailer is a little crooked when you slam on the brakes. If you have crappy tires it might come around and jacknife before you know what it is up. If you have crappy tires on a too light tow vehicle you could also be in the same boat.

Perry
Old 11-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from GA. . . this whole thread is making me crazy(crazier ?) I have 2 year old Marathons on my AS and did 6500 miles this past Summer with NO problems. They still look good, but we're going to Alaska next Summer soooo ......I'm not looking for cheap tires BUT the Michelins are way expensive (got em on my TV) and so many opinions pro & con !! It's hard to know what to do. p.s., our service visit to the Mothership last Spring was a good (albeit) expensive experience. Regards, Craig
Old 11-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
I just put the 235/75-R15 BF Goodrich TA long trail on mine trailer and they look good and work fine. They are rated at 2185 and a similar trailer tire would probably be rated at 2500lb for the same weight of tire. Trailer tires are rated at 65 MPH so they can increase the load rating. I expect that a D rated trailer tire is like a C rated car tire or less even.
Perry
Perry, I just went to Tirerack.com, checked out the tires you have stated above, and they state the weight rating is only 1985 lbs: BFGoodrich Long Trail T/A Tour

That give a total weight capacity of 7940, which may be OK for your load, I don't know. However, I feel it would not be sufficent for my 28' which weighs almost 7K empty and dry.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Make sure it is rated 108T not 105T. It says 2185lb on my tire sidewalls. I left out the XL part which is the extra load version. The online specs on the manufactures web sight also says 1985lb. If you believe tirerack's explanation of the 108T load index it is rate for 2205lb. Here is a link. All I know is they don't run hot with my 31 ft Excella II which is probably between 6000 and 7000lbs. The question is, did BFGoodrich make a mistake on their web sight because the specs on the tire for the load index and the markings on the tire don't match their specs. Oh yeah, T means 118 MPH speed rating at the rated load. So maybe it is 1985lb at 118 MPH. The D rated bias ply tire looks like a temporary spare compared to the 235/75-R15XL 108T tire.

Tire Tech Information - How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...r/tire-details

Perry