Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
The Coastal Campers

2004 25' Classic
Clermont , Florida
Hercules Tires????

We are in Florida and need new tires on out 2004 25ft Airstream Classic, the local tire dealership suggested Hercules Tires. They stated that they stopped suggesting name brand tires because of all the problems..

Any suggestions would be super helpful...
Marylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Go to Tire Rack and buy the Goodyear Endurance tires. They will ship them to a dealer/installer near you.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:43 PM   #3
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
We just put a new set of Goodyear Endurance tires on our trailer. Made in the USA.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1998 25' Safari
Avonton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylogan View Post
We are in Florida and need new tires on out 2004 25ft Airstream Classic, the local tire dealership suggested Hercules Tires. They stated that they stopped suggesting name brand tires because of all the problems..

Any suggestions would be super helpful...
I've used Hercules trailer tires for years and have convinced friends to use them. Never had any problems with any of them.
1950 Spartan
Shacksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:02 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Something besides ST designation. Quality control is too low. Tire damage from failure is $$$$. No one here or eisewhere can make an argument in their favor on an expensive travel trailer.

There are plenty of choices (see Michelin info; factory optional on new trailers).

I've used Yokohama RY215 (LT designation) which the local Discount Tire ordered for me from Tire Rack. It would likely be a good choice as well.

LT tires for trucks & trailers designed for commercial service are at the top of the list.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shacksman View Post
I've used Hercules trailer tires for years and have convinced friends to use them. Never had any problems with any of them.
ME also.So far so good and they are ST tire.
Will not get into what is best ST or LT tires as this has had many many posts and is old worn out subject.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
ME also.So far so good and they are ST tire.
Will not get into what is best ST or LT tires as this has had many many posts and is old worn out subject.
You're right.

It's illegal to install an ST on a passenger carrying vehicle. The quality is too low. The failure rate is unacceptable.

So even after all those threads with their posts we are still short an explanation of why they're a good choice for a travel trailer.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Did your trailer come from the factory equipped with ST tires? Does your model have an optional listing approved by the vehicle manufacturer?

That vehicle manufacturer has the sole responsibility for fitting tires to your trailer that they deem appropriate.

Ask the vehicle manufacturer about replacements. If they say it's OK to use a tire designed for other purposes than ask them how come you got ST tires.

Application is a strong success factor for any tire fitments. Tires are designed for passenger vehicle fitments, light truck fitments & trailer fitments. Some are directional or for steer or drive axles. Then there are all sorts of tread designs.

Most people are not familiar with tire failures because they have not had vehicles that can be fitted with tires without any load capacity reserves. Trailer tires are not required to have more load capacity than the GAWR axle can carry. Most of the replacement success stories revolve around replacement tires that provide more load capacity than the OE tires did. Makes the OE tires look bad, doesn't it?
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Perhaps you might peruse the certain Airstream models that were fitted at the factory with 16" SenDel T03-66655T wheels and 16" LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 ties instead of the GYM ST225/75R15D tires. They included the later 27' Eddie Bauer models, the Pendleton and 2015/16 Classics. They are offered for sale at the entrance door to the Airstream service center for ANY 25' or longer wide body Airstream and will be installed as soon as the credit card is swiped.

I installed those specific 16" models of wheels and tires for our 2014 31' Classic (to replace the captioned GYM 15" tires) as I knew the factory would have to stand behind them if there were a suspension issue if they were selling them to any and all comers.

ST tires are the cheap roller skates needed to get the trailer down the production line to the exit door where the dealer's line of credit is immediately hit for the amount due. The factory does not own the trailer after it leaves the assembly building. So then the onus is on the dealer that the tires last until the trailer gets to their lot.

Then the un-suspecting end user finds out what inferior tires can be in real time.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Perhaps you might peruse the certain Airstream models that were fitted at the factory with 16" SenDel T03-66655T wheels and 16" LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 ties instead of the GYM ST225/75R15D tires. They included the later 27' Eddie Bauer models, the Pendleton and 2015/16 Classics. They are offered for sale at the entrance door to the Airstream service center for ANY 25' or longer wide body Airstream and will be installed as soon as the credit card is swiped.

I installed those specific 16" models of wheels and tires for our 2014 31' Classic (to replace the captioned GYM 15" tires) as I knew the factory would have to stand behind them if there were a suspension issue if they were selling them to any and all comers.

ST tires are the cheap roller skates needed to get the trailer down the production line to the exit door where the dealer's line of credit is immediately hit for the amount due. The factory does not own the trailer after it leaves the assembly building. So then the onus is on the dealer that the tires last until the trailer gets to their lot.

Then the un-suspecting end user finds out what inferior tires can be in real time.
An optional tire fitment offered by the trailer builder for a specific trailer model or series is not a blank check - so to speak - for other models without such option. Tire fitments MUST be identified on the vehicle's certification label at the time of first sale. After first sale the option is no longer authorized, unless, the vehicle manufacturer provides a new certification label with the option.

You know, that's the way it's supposed to be done. But, obviously no one trusts the vehicle manufacturer. If they did they would ask them for their advise. It's in the vehicle owner's manual and an industry standard. Here is how Michelin says it....... http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/hel...res.html#tab-4
Old 08-09-2017, 05:08 AM   #11
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I used Hercules tires a few years ago on our trials. Zero problems....
Wore them out completely.
I might suggest researching the new Goodyear endurance tire.
Made domestically, and very affordable.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:29 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I will stay with the 15" and 16" Michelins I currently use and their replacement models until we see the new GYE results spread over four or more years.

Perhaps one needs to realize that there were better tires available, but the trailer manufacturers wanted the absolute cheapest tire to install to get the trailer down the manufacturing aisle(s) and out the door. Airstream installed the 15" GYM ST225/75R15D tires rated 2,540 pounds on our 31' Classic with a GVW of 10,000 pounds. The four GYM tires capacity was 10,160 pounds. The four Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires are rated 2,680 pounds @ 80 psi or 10,720 pounds. They are also rated for trailer use. That gives a much larger safety load margin than the stock GYM tires and have been installed by Airstream as previously mentioned.

Since the specific 16" tire and 16" wheel combination mentioned in an earlier post above is for sale at the entrance door to the Airstream service center at Jackson center for ANY 25' or longer wide body Airstream, anyone installing that specific combination would be covered by the best practices of the manufacturer without a different sticker on the side of the trailer.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Taylors , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Airstream installed the 15" GYM ST225/75R15D tires rated 2,540 pounds on our 31' Classic with a GVW of 10,000 pounds. The four GYM tires capacity was 10,160 pounds. The four Michelin LT225/75R16/E LTX M/S2 tires are rated 2,680 pounds @ 80 psi or 10,720 pounds. They are also rated for trailer use.
Michelin does not manufacture any 16” tires designed for trailer service. Can any of them be used as Original Equipment on RV trailer axles? Yes, but the decision to do so is initially in the hands of the vehicle manufacturer.

What an owner decides to do about replacement tire applications is their business. "Industry standards generally form the basis for demonstrating product safety and quality before courts, regulators, retailers, consumers and others." Think about that when stepping outside of the box.

"The LTX M/S2 is Michelin's Highway All-Season light truck tire developed to combine long tread life with all-season capabilities for vans, pickups and sport utility vehicles, as well as for commercial vans, shuttles and chassis cab vehicles using light truck tire sizes. The LTX M/S2 is designed to combine a smooth, quiet ride with year-round traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, including in light snow. Compared to the original LTX M/S, the LTX M/S2 is an evolution in looks…and a leap forward in performance."

"The LTX M/S2 molds a long wearing, silica-enhanced, all-season compound into a tread profile featuring Michelin's MaxTouch Construction to produce a contact patch that promotes reliable traction and long wear by evenly distributing acceleration, braking and cornering forces. A symmetric tread design of stable independent tread blocks featuring high-density 3-D Active Sipes delivers all-season traction on dry roads and in inclement weather. Four wide circumferential channels, multiple lateral grooves and open shoulder slots promote lateral water evacuation to enhance wet traction and stopping performance."

"The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts (three steel belts in Load Range D and Load Range E sizes) to provide the strength and durability needed to handle heavy loads."

Original Equipment tires are fitted to each of the vehicle's GAWR values depicted on the federal certification label.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:04 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Really? Why don't you ask Michelin if some of their commercial LT are suitable for trailer service, as others have done. And received affirmation.

XPS is for a heavy vehicle, but great long life. Infinitely better than any ST
Old 08-11-2017, 06:23 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Knoxville , Tennessee
I just put Hercules on mine and my father-in-law has them on his. Seem to work good. I have a friend who travels all over the country and swears by the Hercules tires.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:35 AM   #16
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Really? Why don't you ask Michelin if some of their commercial LT are suitable for trailer service, as others have done. And received affirmation.

XPS is for a heavy vehicle, but great long life. Infinitely better than any ST

Actually several members have posted on this forum either verbal conversations or email or chat that Michelin does not make a tire for trailer usage so Michelin does not approve of any of their tires for trailer usage.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...ire-71294.html

Post 11 and there are others out there.

Now that doesn't mean a tire sales person won't sell a Michelin to a trailer owner. (Especially when the buying public is wiling to pay for Michelins) Or an RV trailer manufacturer (Airstream) won't put Michelins on their product either new units or used units. Because that happens as well. And the tire manufacturer in this case still does not recommend their product on a trailer because they do not make any tires that are designed for trailer usage.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-11-2017, 09:25 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Hercules

Yes, I have used Hercules, on our previous travel trailer. They were awesome.
Once we were leaving Virginia and headed to South Carolina, and just had the Hercules tires put on.
I pumped them up to the max pressure and loaded up, like I usually do.
I got out on the road a ways and I kept asking my wife:
"What did we forget ? Where's the cat ? That trailer is to light."
That trailer pulled so much easier.
Way better than the Duro's that were on there before. ( The Duro's lasted 4 years and not a blowout. I was surprised. ) I wouldn't recommend them.

Those Hercules were the best tires. I plan to purchase a set for the AS.

A friend of mine have them on a horse trailer. Horses are heavy, they wear very well on his trailer. No issues for two years now.
I am disappointed they are made in Chiner, but maybe they are made in the good one, Taiwan ?
Safe travels
Old 08-11-2017, 10:42 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Hercules tires are a partner of Cooper Tire.
Cooper tire in 2013 was sold to Apollo tire of India.

That left Goodyear as the last remaining US tire manufacturer.
I'm not saying that's bad, because I like Michelin's and they're not a US company either.

Hercules is based in Findley, OH, but where the tires are actually made is a question.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:37 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Blacksburg , Virginia
Tires

hey mollysdad, maybe you know, does Goodyear still own Kelley Tire ?
Just wondering

Best regards