Old 04-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Sarasota , Florida
Hercules Tires

anyone used or heard of Hercules Brand tires? I have a 34' triple axle Classic. the dealer has 10 ply E rated tires. 225/75R 15" $135 mounted, tax & balanced. I have never heard of this brand. Dealer says he sell about 100/month for trailers.

DavidSowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Birdie Momma
1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
are these LT tires or trailer tires? After my trailer tires blew out at year 2 with less than 10k miles i will never use trailer tires again. they do not have the same safety standards as tires designed for passenger vehicles.

But if they blow i guess you have 5 other wheels on the ground ... unlike my single axle

'57 Overlander | '56 Flying Cloud | '51 Spartanette
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member
Taylors , South Carolina
All DOT certified tires built for highway service must meet the same safety standards as all other highway tires. Many states allow passengers to ride in RV trailers with some safety restrictions.

DOT certified tires are tested on their design merits. The Special Trailer tire has a single position to satisfy, the trailer axle position. Therefore, they will only be tested and certified for that position.
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Ask the dealer for the country of origin. It is stamped on the tire sidewall. If the answer is "China" maybe plan "b" might be in order. My Chinese made ST tires failed spectacularly at various times for no apparent reason.

Since their replacement, no failures at all in over 15000 miles.

n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Rivet Master
2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
This is a recall on 16 and 17 inch. The 15 inch may be fine. I'd call the number below to get the whole scoop.

Hercules recalls light truck tires

February 26, 2013 04:13 PM EST | Associated Press
Compare other versions Compare 04:13 PM EST10:07 AM EST and 04:13 PM EST10:07 AM EST versions

DETROIT — Hercules Tire is recalling some light-duty truck tires in the U.S. because the belts and treads can separate from the tires.
The recall covers 10-ply Load Range E tires in the company's All Trac line. All the recalled tires are 16 or 17 inches in diameter. They are used mainly on commercial trucks.
Hercules is still trying to determine exactly how many tires are involved in the recall, spokeswoman Suzanne Mitchell said Monday.
The tires were made in China and sold by Hercules, which is based in the Findlay, Ohio.
Hercules says in documents sent to government safety regulators that the separations could reduce a driver's ability to control a vehicle. At least one crash was reported. Mitchell would not comment when asked if the problem has caused any other crashes or any injuries.
"We're looking to make this as successful of a recall as we can for our customers," she said.
Hercules will replace the tires for free. Owners can call the company at (888) 965-5795.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Siloam Springs , Arkansas
I purchased a set of Hercules last fall, in a pinch.

We were out on a 2 week trip and stopped overnight in a smaller town in south central Utah.

I knew the factory Marathons were nearing end-of-life, so I had planned on replacing them at the end of the trip.

No such luck.

As I was doing my morning walk around I noticed the tread had separated on the curb side tires. One had wire showing. We were in a popular park, so I asked about the best tire shop. They directed me to a busy and well stocked shop.

It was obviously THE shop for the area. They had all kinds and shapes of tires in stock and lots of employees.

They were a Goodyear dealer though when I asked for the best ST tire, I got Hercules.

The guys in the back looked at the failed Marathons and mentioned they were famous for separating and that the shop had switched to Hercules with much improved results.

They seemed to think they were much better than anything else.

Currently I have about 2500 miles on. The Marathons made it 3 years and about 28 K.
So far, so good.

Jeff & Cindy
Hunter RIP

'09 27FB Flying Cloud
'91 350 LE MH
jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
2005 25' International CCD
Thousand Oaks , California
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1468593028.794415.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	266825

Similar story as above however had much more time to review with a most trusted top shop after buying dozens of sets for business and personal vehicles over 20 years.

Every suggestion from same top management each purchase Was right-on. Super pleased and never disappointed.

Day of replacing original Marathons. They suggested NOT driving it there (5 miles) due to their 10 year age and tire failure history.

Evaluating every option which they all had in stock over two week period (us referencing Airforums too) they STILL highly touted going with THE HERCULES giving all the reasons one should know. And gave a detailed comparison to each brand considered and load capacities.

The owners and many staff use them on ALL theIr personal travel trailers, boats, and tow trailers (or will be next tire change) and "they could pick any brand they wanted" They employ @ 30 pros.

Reasons above, plus full price return guarantee to switch went new Hercules 10ply load range E for the
5 x 15" tires on our 2005 25ft Intnl CCD last year.

Ride smooth and behaving great as the shop promised far. Only 2000 miles on so far but planning many more.

Relaxing is hard work.
2005 25ft International CCD SS
2014 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 4X4 int. 3.43 Int sway/tow controller
1981 Honda Trail CT110 sway control
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote