Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
mount joy , Pennsylvania
Help with tires maxxis

I would like to know if anyone has used the Maxxis tires for an extended period of time, like 2-3 years, that has done quite a bit of traveling. I've tried Goodyear and Carlisle and they just don't hold together while doing long distance traveling, like from coast to coast. I keep the tire pressure at 65psi where they are to be and still have trouble, I do use tire monitors to help keep the damage to a mininum
krlajwvater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by krlajwvater View Post
I would like to know if anyone has used the Maxxis tires for an extended period of time, like 2-3 years, that has done quite a bit of traveling. I've tried Goodyear and Carlisle and they just don't hold together while doing long distance traveling, like from coast to coast. I keep the tire pressure at 65psi where they are to be and still have trouble, I do use tire monitors to help keep the damage to a mininum
Have you kept the running gear balanced?

Are you using load range "C" or "D" tires?

If not, that will cause all brands of tires to fail.

Also, I think a cold tire pressure of 60 psi, is adequate for your 30 foot Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:22 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Peoria , Arizona
Maxxis tires

My tire dealer tells me Goodyear are the best When I talk to Goodyear they tell me up to 65 mph run the tires at 65 p s i from 66 and over mph pump the tires up to 75 m p h I am just not sure of this
Gil Reinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are many threads both here and on the Internet about issues with Goodyear Marathons. So much so that I decided to go with Maxxis this time around. I have had them for about a year now and have had zero issues.

I like the fact that Maxxis tires have what Z rated tires have, which is a nylon cap that helps hold the tread in place. Marathons have been known all too frequently to have tread separation.

Here are a couple of articles on nylon caps and tread separation.

So, Do You Need a Nylon Cap? - TIME

Cost Hinders Wider Use of Nylon To Make Steel
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

maxxi tires

I put four new Maxxi tires on my 89 32' excella last summer and drove from Maine through Canada on up the whole Alaska Highway and up the infamous Dalton highway over the Brooks Range and onto the North slope. Then drove to florida. No issues with the tires or camper. But I had a golden rule......tires always at 65 lbs. cold and never,never over 65mph.
mainebme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:02 PM   #6

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We have been using Maxxis on our '05 25FB for two years now. They are ST222 75 R 16E. We decided to go with the load range E (10 ply) after 3 on-the-road blowouts with the OEM Goodyear Marathons at around 12,000 miles of service. We run the Maxxis at 72 psi. We average between 15 and 20,000 miler per year on our Airstream and travel all over the country.

At about 28,000 miles, one of the Maxxis developed a pressure leak. It turned out that the steel belt had separated and a strand of steel had penetrated the sideway. I replaced it with a 10 ply Carlisle as it was all I could find on a Sunday morning in Nashville, Tennessee.

I have liked the Maxxis well enough that I plan to replace Lucy's tires with another set of Maxxis.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
mount joy , Pennsylvania
yes I keep the tires balanced. I all so run centramatic tire balancers. load range D tires and if I ran 60 psi that be more heat in the tires. I set cruise at 62 mph.
krlajwvater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Ue-168

I have six Maxxis UE-168's on my 34 foot Avion. Mine are the load range D type, 8-ply equivalents. Size is 235/70-15. The Avion has swing arm suspension and may have a little more clearance than Airstream; these tires are slightly wider than the 700R15s they replaced.

I've had them on there for a few years now. I've probably got 5000 miles on them. Not a lot, but they've been completely trouble free.

I generally run around 65-70mph, but I've run it up to 80mph for brief stints and cruised at 72mph before. No problems at all. I've run it fast for 45 minutes (as in pushing 80mph) and pulled into a rest stop and laid my hand on them and they've never been hot. I run about 60psi.

Granted, with six of them carrying 9600lbs gross, I'm not asking that much of each individual tire (one of the benefits of a tri-axle), but I've had good luck with these tires. I did have them spun balanced when they were mounted and have metal truck valves.

Thankfully, I've never experienced the failures I hear so many of the Goodyear Marathon owners talking about. The Maxxis tires are made in China, but many tires are nowadays. For me, they've worked well.

Oh, the UE-168 is listed as both an LT and an ST tire. It's got both stamps on the side. They have really beefy sidewalls, and I believe had the nylon cap the other guys were mentioning in the speed rated tires.

At any rate, I've had good luck with them. What I'd like to do, when I hit the lottery, is buy six new 16" or 17" mag wheels and then run BF Goodrich Commercial TA's. You can get much better tires in those diameters than you can in 15". If you really want to do it right, get new wheels and upsize your tires and never look back.

Good luck!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
We have been using Maxxis on our '05 25FB for two years now. They are ST222 75 R 16E. We decided to go with the load range E (10 ply) after 3 on-the-road blowouts with the OEM Goodyear Marathons at around 12,000 miles of service. We run the Maxxis at 72 psi. We average between 15 and 20,000 miler per year on our Airstream and travel all over the country.

At about 28,000 miles, one of the Maxxis developed a pressure leak. It turned out that the steel belt had separated and a strand of steel had penetrated the sideway. I replaced it with a 10 ply Carlisle as it was all I could find on a Sunday morning in Nashville, Tennessee.

I have liked the Maxxis well enough that I plan to replace Lucy's tires with another set of Maxxis.

Brian

Your punishing the trailer with "E" tires, the tow vehicle and the HAHA.

They destroy the soft ride that an Airstream trailer likes, and must have.

Andy
Old 03-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #10

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Andy, the OEM Marathons were D's, and they were garbage. With the three blowouts, I was afraid to stay with D's. We were extremely fortunate not to sustain any body damage with three separate catastrophic tire failures. The truck tire dealer in Gillette suggested the 10 ply E's. That sounded very reasonable as the D's I had did not cut it. I respect your suggestion, but I'm afraid of getting more junk D's.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Andy, the OEM Marathons were D's, and they were garbage. With the three blowouts, I was afraid to stay with D's. We were extremely fortunate not to sustain any body damage with three separate catastrophic tire failures. The truck tire dealer in Gillette suggested the 10 ply E's. That sounded very reasonable as the D's I had did not cut it. I respect your suggestion, but I'm afraid of getting more junk D's.

Brian
Brian.

To use "E" tires on an Airstream tires is close to using fork lift tires, especially for a 25 foot trailer.

The ride offered for the trailer is less than acceptable.

Sorry, but if you don't like Goodyear, there is still many other brand choices.

Andy