Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Great! So the article is done. When do you think it will be published?

Thanks again,
Tom
They seem to think that they will be done with the research and have all the holes plugged in 10 days, or so.

It's the "or so" part that worries me.

Andy

Old 04-08-2006, 08:33 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

A re-cap of my factory experience...

I keep meaning to re-cap my trip to the factory for those who might be considering factory repairs themselves. I don't have the bill in front of me, but the overall costs were $1700.00. This included $850.00 in labor, most of which I assume went to the "elephant ears" patch to fix our rear frame separation. (Looks great now, by the way.)

Also had the tires replaced, and a balance and alignment was done. Interestingly enough, when I brought up balancing the "entire running gear", well, they DON'T do that at Jackson Center, and didn't really seem to care that much about it. Suggested getting the tires balanced when uneven wear is seen. I detect a slight disconnect in the communication at Jackson Center, as I previously indicated - I believe primarily it lies within the management level at the Service Center, the actual repairmen were most communicative and helpful.

Had the axles and shocks checked, given a clean bill of health.

Had the toilet/black tank checked, knew there was a leak. Was hoping to get the factory to replace tank and save us time. They really don't want to do that kind of work. They did check the system, confirmed the leak, and indicated the gate valve on the toilet was leaking as well. (More repairs for me, yayy.)

I think that covers the work done, in addition to getting the repairs done we did take the factory tour and it was nothing short of AWESOME. Can't wait to go back and do it again. No cameras allowed, or I would share pics. But we got to see everything from start to finish and crawl all over a bunch of new trailers and ask all kinds of questions. Now I want a new one, but they are a tad out of my price range. ;-)

Bought goodies and supplies at the gift shop, and a handy dandy little grease gun type can filled with sealant for the trailer that will make sealing every seam go oh-so-much-faster this week after we give the old girl a much needed washing tomorrow.

So in short, YES - take your rig to the factory for major work. Don't worry too much about the lack of decent information over the phone or email, and remember to ask all kinds of questions once you get there, you will learn a lot.

Also stopped by the WBCCI headquarters down the street and picked up some info - nice ladies working the counter were very helpful.

Now that Airabelle is back from Jackson Center, we have a laundry list of work to be done, so I am sure you will see updates popping up in other threads as work progresses. Thanks all for the encouragement - I am very glad we went to Jackson Center and feeling much less stressed about the condition of our '66 than I was previously. 31 days and counting 'til we get her back on the road for the first trip of the year - I'd better get BUSY!

"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
hello Tamara ,

I agree with the others on the axles . mw64overlander is correct . you have no suspension left . When going over any pot hole or rut or whatever the arm has to travel upwards and if the travel is limited do to worn rubber rods then bottoming out of the suspension will be the result . Obviously nothing should be throw around the trailer after a trip down the road . The design of torsion axles and how they are mounted to a trailer work the absolute best when new , yes out of balance running gear just really makes it worse . and if you have worn axles it can and is destructive to your airstream . I am sure I have repeated others thoughts here , I just wanted to weigh in on this discussion .

Good luck !

Scott of scottanlily
Old 04-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In on 04/07/06
They seem to think that they will be done with the research and have all the holes plugged in 10 days, or so.

It's the "or so" part that worries me.

Andy
Andy,

What is the latest projected date for that article? You have shared some illuminating details in another thread which make me really want to see this article.

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 05:43 PM   #47
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
TomW

The "or so" has come into play, along with a very close family tragedy.

I would estimate, another 2 weeks.

Andy