Old 03-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
price quotes

2airishuman

We respectfully request that you refrain from quoting or guesstimating what we may charge for our services, unless you have a written quote.

Adding confusion to this site, or quoting prices on behalf of someone else, is counter productive.

Thank you.

Andy

Old 03-14-2006, 12:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tamara

While your at the factory, check with them on the price of new axles, with and without brakes.

You might find it to be very interesting.

Andy

Old 03-14-2006, 01:04 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Andy,
I will certainly get all the info possible when at the factory. To be fair, I think the previous poster was merely guessing at what "A" price might be to do my repairs, not necessarily what "YOUR" price is. It's hard to interpret the written word, but I'm pretty sure that is what was meant. No harm done on my end. Obviously the only way to know for certain the cost of something is to ask the source!

Since I'm far from being a gear-head, can someone gently fill me in on the whys and wherefors of whether or not one must replace the brakes when replacing the axles? Are they integrated to the point where that simply makes the most sense, or perhaps when one is bad enough for replacement, the other is sure to be in the same state of disrepair? Or am I missing the point altogether...I can think of a few other possible reasons but there's little point in my speculating if someone would enlighten me.

I've got an appt at the factory this Friday AM, we moved it up to be as soon as possible. No solid price info from them forthcoming on the big jobs yet but they do sell Goodyears at around $104 a piece currently, should someone be interested in that tidbit. I can get them cheaper here but see no reason to do so right now. If luck smiles upon us and there are no MAJOR repairs needed, then we may just spend the extra few $$ and buy tires there so they can be properly mounted and balanced.

I checked the old tires, the PO had put on LT tires and I never realized it. It's taken me this long for the valuable info on the forum to actually start sinking in...that's my excuse

So given we have had:
1) Leaky water heater before we got the trailer resulting in a weak back floor
2) Possibly over-rated tires, I suppose this point may be debatable
3) Very likely too much weight hauled in the back end of the trailer out to CA and back - we had lots of gear
4) No idea when the running gear was balanced previously, if ever

Then I think that explains the separation I am seeing pretty well. Just hoping it is limited to the back end, and that the frame itself is not cracked, majorly corroded, sagging, or all the other nasties I've seen pictured here that can be found once you crack open the bottom of an old trailer!

I'll keep ya'll posted on what we discover, and what the outcome is. Thanks for the continued support. I'm dreading the trip to the factory, and looking forward to it at the same time.
"Mod-Pod" - '77 Argosy Minuet 6.0
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:16 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
We respectfully request that you refrain from quoting or guesstimating what we may charge for our services, unless you have a written quote. Adding confusion to this site, or quoting prices on behalf of someone else, is counter productive.Thank you.
Andy
hi andy

you might want to read my post again......respectfully.
i suggested they get a price estimate from you.....for the work......
if you don't want referrals.....so sorry....won't happen again.

i didn't quote a price on your behalf.....or anyone else.

i did make a "wild arse" guess at what it might cost......
which might not be any closer to correct than my lottery picks this week....

and i'll stop buying lottery tickets for you too...... guaranteed.

refrain from guesstimating?
not a chance......

cheers
2air'
Old 03-14-2006, 01:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara
... I checked the old tires, the PO had put on LT tires ...
My owner's manual recommends LT (Light Truck) tires. The rage these days is "ST" (Special Trailer?) tires. I do not know if ST tires were an option in the sixties.

From what I have read, ST tires have better UV light resistance. Past that, maybe another member can post other differences.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:50 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Axles and such

Hi Tamara and Others,
I just spent $2600 on my '66 Overlander; new brakes all 'round, barrings repacked, new brakeaway box, new uni-volt type replacement power box and a couple of other small things. After reading this thread I am wondering if I should have had the axles replaced??? I had all this work done at Dillons RV, so am I safe assuming they would have checked the axles for wear and tear? I told them to do a total system check, but I did not mention axles specifically. They did find and repair 3 water leaks. I pulled Sylvia 850 miles home and she pulled very well. Is there any other indicators for needing to replace the axles?
I'm new to Airstream ownership and want my girl to be safe and sound on the road.
Robin out
Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Tamara.

Your vintage Airstream came with round style magnets. There are some parts that are no longer available for those older brakes.

Accordingly, it's best to change the brakes to the new style, when you change an axle.

Also, the new style electric brakes offer more pounds of braking power.

When you change axles, especially on older trailers, you might consider adding "disc brakes" which are far superior to any electric brake system ever designed, so far.

Andy
Old 03-14-2006, 04:30 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Robin wrote:
Quote:
Is there any other indicators for needing to replace the axles?
Check the Inland RV website. There is an article there that explains a method of checking your axles...although I wouldn't say that there couldn't be other indiactors as well - just reading through the forums you will find some helpful hints. One easy visual indicator would be that the trailer is sitting "low" on the wheel wells. The theory being good solid axles will allow the trailer to sit up nice and perky I guess ;-)

Andy,
Thanks for the clarification, I was assuming something along those lines regarding the brakes.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:35 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Tom,
As for the LT vs ST tires...you are correct - I think I may have maligned LT tires for no good reason. BUT...these are in fact the D rated tires rather than C, and I have read arguments for both so I guess at this point I'll leave it up to the factory to make a recommendation.

(Just to be clear, these were put on more recently than the '60s, but are probably at least 6 years old by now though not with a lot of mileage. Still I will be happy with new ones once the other issues have been addressed.)
Old 03-14-2006, 04:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
draftwomyn21

Robin.

Another easy axle check requires no bending over.

Stand about 25 feet away from the side of your Airstream. You should be able to see one to two inches of the tires "ABOVE" the top of the wheel.

If not, then use the method that is in our article.

If any part of the top of the tires cannot be seen, then the axles are history.

The only fix is replacement.

The next question if a replacement is needed, is for you to decide if you want original equipment or a "knock off" that has many inferior qualities.

A comparison article will be available very soon.

Andy
Old 03-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Many parts are still available

Quote:
... Your vintage Airstream came with round style magnets. There are some parts that are no longer available for those older brakes...
Round magnets are not included in that parts list nor are the lower return springs. I replaced all of mine during the '04 refurb.

Tom
Old 03-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
... A comparison article will be available very soon...
Please quantify.

You made a similar statement many months ago.

Thanks,
Tom
Old 03-15-2006, 08:19 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to draftwomyn21
Hi Andy,
If I need new axles does this mean I just wasted my money on barrigs and brakes or can any part of that be salvaged?
Thanks for the easy way to check, I'll take a look at her as soon as I get home.
Robin out
Old 03-15-2006, 10:09 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Dexter Axle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftwomyn21
Hi Andy,
If I need new axles does this mean I just wasted my money on barrigs and brakes or can any part of that be salvaged?
Thanks for the easy way to check, I'll take a look at her as soon as I get home.
Robin out
Robin,

I am sure that Dexter axle can help you also. There is most likely even a distributor in your area.

Additionally, Dexter is now the factory choice of Airstream.

I hope this helps,
Henry