Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
HawksHead TMPS valve choice input needed

I have been researching the TPMS systems and since Hawks Head is having a sale for labor day, I have decided to pull the trigger and order their Pressure Track HD system.

When ordering, I have the option of:

1) Screw on caps for my existing valve stems (have to remove them to add air to the tires)

2) T-valve stems which have a built-in bypass to add air while the pressure monitoring caps remain on the tires. (says they need to be installed by a tire shop-I assume they replace the existing valve stems)

Does anyone here on the forum have experience with either of these options and an opinion on which is better? If unscrewing the caps is not a big deal when adding air, I would probably opt for simplicity. Would love some input on this from people who have used the systems....

Thanks! their web site is TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM if anyone needs to look at the products.
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I've been using that system for 3 years or so with no complaints. I really like the ability to change the batteries in the sensors.

The single draw back is having to remove the sensors to add air but that really isn't a big deal - I've elected to skip the locks and just hand tighten the sensors.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I just have the regular system without bypass and just unscrew the cap to remove the sensor to inflate too.
It's easy and not a problem for me but, if you opt to use the small locking screws that come with the sensors, it would be a bummer kneeling for a long time to remove the locking screws from each one (I have 10) to add air. I don't use the locking screws and just use the sensor as an air valve cap.
I guess anyone could steal mine but that is the chance I take. So far so good.

Sort of like the joke of the man falling from a 16 story building and as he passed each floor people heard him say "so far so good, so far so good".
Old 09-03-2012, 05:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
I just installed the same system recently, with the screw-on sensors. I don't have enough experience to discuss too meaningfully. But so far so good, just back from a 3,000 mile trip and all good.

I chose the screw-on sensors so I could change the batteries myself. The system is really easy to use, provides both pressure and temperature.

The potential downside, and I heard this just today from someone else, is that due to the size of the sensors there can be a tendency for the sensors to break off the stem, thereby causing the problem you were trying to avoid. I have not experienced this, so really a third hand opinion I am sharing.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I just installed the same system recently, with the screw-on sensors. I don't have enough experience to discuss too meaningfully. But so far so good, just back from a 3,000 mile trip and all good.

I chose the screw-on sensors so I could change the batteries myself. The system is really easy to use, provides both pressure and temperature.

The potential downside, and I heard this just today from someone else, is that due to the size of the sensors there can be a tendency for the sensors to break off the stem, thereby causing the problem you were trying to avoid. I have not experienced this, so really a third hand opinion I am sharing.
Hi, I've had mine for three years with no failing valve stems. They are tucked in pretty close to the wheels. I'm thinking that someone thought, "You know, that could happen.", which it could. So they then made up a story to go with it. However, the tire guy who just installed my new tires, wanted me to bring the sensors down so he could balance the wheels with them in place. I told him my Centramatics would take care of that.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
I ...The potential downside, and I heard this just today from someone else, is that due to the size of the sensors there can be a tendency for the sensors to break off the stem, thereby causing the problem you were trying to avoid. I have not experienced this, so really a third hand opinion I am sharing.
Use the metal valve stems...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks, everyone for the fast responses. Helped me out quite a bit. Ordered my new TPMS. Now just waiting for delivery....
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote