Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Has anybody used A/T tires on their trailer? Bridgestone Duelers and...

I'm looking for new tires for our Streamline, and have read the various threads about LT tires vs. ST tires.

I have found some good deals on LT rated tires but they are A/T or all-terrain designated.

One set is the Bridgestone Dueler A/T in a 235/75R15 and the other set are Wild Country XTX tires.

Both have a weight rating of about 1985 lbs at 50 PSI and are LT rated.

Our streamline weighs 6000 lbs, maybe 7000 lbs loaded.

So I should be within the weight limit for these.

My question is will the aggressive tread kill our mileage? Be too noisy, to rough, etc.

I have also found a set of Hercules ST tires for about the same price, in a 225/75R15. But I haven't seen any positive reviews.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Ian
Old 03-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I have not experience with any of the tires you have listed.

I don't think the Bridgestone Duelers are a true LT tire. I believe it is a P235 75 15 tire designed for pickup trucks. The tire may be to similar to the Michelin P235 75 15 XL tire.

However, the Wild Country XTX does show up as an LT tire on the Wild Country web page. This is news to me. I also see on their web page that they offer a highway tread also. I have been looking at the 15" LT tire options for a tire upgrade in the future. This may be a good option I need to look into. Perhaps someone on the forum as looked as these already.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:22 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Take a look at some of the Expedition Trailers from UEV such as the 490 from Australia. These trailers on single independent suspensions use these type of Off Road tires and these trailers are built like tanks which means they weigh quite a lot. up to 3000 lbs so double that over two axles and the weight rating might be ok. Handling and road noise might be an issue. If youre a safe tower and are always on top of your tires and pressure it might be controversial to try it based on the opinions on the forums but it almost my be worth getting on to The Expedition Portal (offroad forum) and see what others have used and are using for their offroad trailers which again could weigh as much as a AS. Also might be worth giving the guys at UEV in Australia a call.
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
Los angeles , California
Send a message via AIM to Protohyp
Oh and some might say "well those are for off road situations only" but a lot of these guys travel thousands of road miles to get to their off road destinations.
Protohyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Well I missed out on the Bridgestones, was a good deal apparently. The others are still available.

Going to do a bit more poking around before pulling the trigger.

Ian
Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I sent an email to Multi-Mile to see if the Trailecutter HLT 235 75 15 tires are true LT tires. Below is their response. I assume this would apply to all of the Multi-Mile tires listed as LT 235 75 15 on their web site.

We are in receipt of your inquiry. The Multi-Mile Trailcutter HLT tire is an LT tire and the tire size on the sidewall will indicate LT.

Thank you,

Olga Fraga
Consumer Relations
TBC Wholesale
4300 TBC Way
Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33410
Tel. (800) 238-6469 - toll free
(561) 383-3114 - direct
Fax (800) 467-4638
Old 03-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Good to know. The ones I listed above are rated as snow tires, so they might wear a bit quicker than we want. But might work short term, and maybe I can use them on the Tahoe in the winter! LOL!

Ian
Old 03-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

I assume your trailer is tandom axle. If so, you have plenty of load rating using any of the tires mentioned. I doubt you will tow enough to wear the tires out so the tread pattern doesn't matter.
I switched from AT tires on my tow vehicle to get a smoother ride. My AS rides much smoother with LT tires than with ST tires.
I like Michelins and have them on both my AS and tow vehicle. They are great tires and offer a very smooth ride. To me, they are worth the small premium paid.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeweloJalopy View Post
Well I missed out on the Bridgestones, was a good deal apparently. The others are still available.

Going to do a bit more poking around before pulling the trigger.

Ian
Here's what we've run on our 27 FB for two years with good results so far. They are TA's not AT's.

BF Goodrich Radial Long Trail T/A Tour
P235/75R15/XL 108T
Tire Size: Side Wall: Service Description: Mileage Warranty: UTQG:
P235/75R15/XL OWL 108T 60,000 580AB

XL means extra load.

Brad

- Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
After looking at the ratings on Tire Rack I decided on the Firestone Destination LE2. The rating from users is right up there with the Michelins, although the tread life is a little less, but we'll never reach that much mileage on either tire before they age out. My BFFs at the tire store speak highly of them too, and at about $40/tire less than the Michelins I'm gonna give them a shot.

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
I assume your trailer is tandom axle. If so, you have plenty of load rating using any of the tires mentioned. I doubt you will tow enough to wear the tires out so the tread pattern doesn't matter.
I switched from AT tires on my tow vehicle to get a smoother ride. My AS rides much smoother with LT tires than with ST tires.
I like Michelins and have them on both my AS and tow vehicle. They are great tires and offer a very smooth ride. To me, they are worth the small premium paid.
We went with Michelin's on our Tahoe, unfortunately in a P version as I didn't know better at the time. They're great tires so far, and should last well beyond when I'm sure we'll sell the truck.

Money is tight right now, so I'm looking for a solution somewhere between "run the 15 year old tires with tons of tread" and "go with the known good Michelin's". Besides, where's the fun in using the known solution?